Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Most of the early articles reported that the new V8 had a 4.22" bore and a 3.976 stroke. That calculates out to 444.888 cubic inches. 444.888ci = 7.29L

I wonder if the bore and stroke were changed before production?
Everything I’ve seen is that same bore and stroke. I just used the wrong conversion factor. Very doubtful to me they made a change like that, I’m betting it’s just bad info off the vin decoder.
DirtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #156

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stroke X Bore.....sounds like a recipe from a bad marriage.
+++++
As my wife would say, "Let's try to just focus on stuff that really matters."
+++++
7.3...7.29....? Give me a Boss 429 (7.0L ?)maxxed out for torque.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #157

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most of the early articles reported that the new V8 had a 4.22" bore and a 3.976 stroke. That calculates out to 444.888 cubic inches. 444.888ci = 7.29L

That's exactly what I came up with.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:25 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
If GM or anybody else throws their hat in the Class A Chassis ring they will most likely take 50% of the market without even trying hard . All they need is better fuel mileage a better ride and a bit more GCVWR and they will walk away with it. Ford has been sitting on their heals for the last 10 years and made very few improvements.
Listen up you guys, Better ride, more tow power and better mpg's. Heck I personally would go for a FRED over a gas anyday. Too bad they went away due to DEF.
Actually the MH MFG's don't want them due to better MPGs and a higher cost than gas chassis.
OKAY I'm off the soapbox.

Don't Care at all about MPG, just want more SPM (Smiles Per Mile).
I never purchased any MH hoping to squeeze out 1 more MPG.
Even if I only got 4 MPG do not care, it is all about family time.
Just want to enjoy my MH out on the open road.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDream View Post
Is it fair to say that if a get the new coach weighed with full fuel and subtract that number from 2300 lbs I will have the cargo capacity, which includes cargo, people, water?

Why don't Coach Mfg. publish Cargo Capacity (lbs.) ??

Any protocol or etiquette weighing the RV at a Flying J Truck stop?
Whats it cost to use truck scales ?
Can you use the DOT scales on I-95?
The CCC could vary between every build based on options. If you’re not ordering one, look for the the yellow sticker.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #160
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDream View Post
Any protocol or etiquette weighing the RV at a Flying J Truck stop?
Whats it cost to use truck scales ?
As Mike823 noted, download the app named "Weigh My Truck" for CAT Scales. Create an account in the app and save a credit card number. It's totally self-serve with their app.

Pull on to the scale with one axle per platform. The toad should be on its own platform (there are four platforms). You'll be pulled up so you're next to the pole with the speaker box.

On the pole is a scale number. Enter the scale number into the app and hit Accept. Continue through each of the few screens, such as where you enter some descriptive text.

After you hit Accept the final time, it will say "communicating with scale" and some seconds later will display the weight on each platform. The app also will email you a PDF with the results. It also says you can go inside and pick up a printout, which I never do.

A weigh costs $12. If you do a re-weigh on the same scale within 24 hours you're charged $2.50 for that one.

A re-weigh is particularly useful for towing a trailer with a truck. Do the weigh with the trailer, pull off, drop the trailer in the parking lot, circle back around and do a re-weigh. Comparing the rear axle weights will tell you your tongue weight. If you see a big change in the front axle weight, that may indicate too much tongue weight. Just do the math.

Then drive off and continue your trip.

HTH,

Ray
Old 06-12-2020, 05:19 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
If GM or anybody else throws their hat in the Class A Chassis ring they will most likely take 50% of the market without even trying hard . All they need is better fuel mileage a better ride and a bit more GCVWR and they will walk away with it. Ford has been sitting on their heals for the last 10 years and made very few improvements.

Listen up you guys, Better ride, more tow power and better mpg's. Heck I personally would go for a FRED over a gas anyday. Too bad they went away due to DEF.

Actually the MH MFG's don't want them due to better MPGs and a higher cost than gas chassis.

OKAY I'm off the soapbox.

A FRED is available, the Newmar Canyon Star has been changed from gas to a FRED on a Freightliner chassis for 2021.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #162

Ford Super Duty Owner
My New 2020 F53 (7.3L V8) Coach

I am starting a new thread to discuss my experience with my 2020+ Entegra Vision 29S built on the New F53 18,000 lbs, 190" Chassis. Here is the link:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/my-n...ml#post5301299

I will be happy to answer any question you might have.

AlwaysDreaming (2017 Kentucky Derby Winner Fan)
AlwaysDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #163

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post

I do wish they would do a better job of publishing the dry, curb weight of the units. Remember the GCWR is combined vehicle and trailer.
jt
There is a yellow sticker in the cockpit driver side of an RV that lists the Cargo Carrying Capacity. See photo attached:

My CCC is 1392 lbs. this number includes a full tank of water which is 646 lbs. So that leaves 746 lbs. That's pretty damn small CCC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo Carrying Capacity.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	289286  
AlwaysDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #164

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post

That's exactly what I came up with.
jt
round up ...7.3 Detroit has been doing this for years
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacjetlag View Post
Stroke X Bore.....sounds like a recipe from a bad marriage.
+++++
As my wife would say, "Let's try to just focus on stuff that really matters."
+++++
7.3...7.29....? Give me a Boss 429 (7.0L ?)maxxed out for torque.
My 66 Galaxy, 7 Liter had a 428. So confused.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 01:13 AM   #166

Ford Super Duty Owner
That 428 was an FE series engine. The 429s and 460s were the next thing, the 385 series. Big Block Ford 385 series can be built today to make 1,000 hp. The latest thing....the 7.3L (444'ish C.I.) Ford "Godzilla" is what this thread refers to. Just out, but it has been built up to 600+ hp so far by folks (AKA: Gearheads) who do such things.
+++++
So, yeah, it's Confusing.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #167

I just took delivery of a 2021 Newmar Baystar which has a 2020 F53 chassis, but has the 7.3L V8. I can tell you the factory headlights were horrible! I already upgraded them to LED's. Once I get it home, I'll be crawling underneath to have a look at these alleged 2" sway bars and sumo type springs.
Laramie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, upgrade