Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2023, 01:59 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
2021 Ford F53 (V8) 18K Chassis Shocks

Looking to improve the ride in of my 2021 F53 V8 18,000lb. Chassis. I have an Entegra Vision 29S.

What are the standard shocks on the F53 V8 18K?

KONI FSD Shocks appear to have the best @ ~$770 uninstalled?

Has anybody upgraded the F53 V8 18K Chassis with KONI FSD?
If so, are you happy with the investment?

How many labor hours would would estimate for a Truck Suspension Shop to install?

Thanks for reading
AlwaysDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2023, 03:15 PM   #2

We have upgraded to Koni shocks as well as a track bar and beefy sway bar bushings from Hendersons - worth every penny.

To do all (shocks on all four corners, track bar, sway bar bushings, safe-t-steer and radius rods), it was the better part of a full afternoon.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I installed the complete front and rear kit from SuperSteer on my friends 22k chassis. This included:
Replacement Komi shocks all around
Rear track bar
Additional rear sway bar
Heavier front sway bar
Radius rods
SafeTSteer unit

It took me approx 5 hours to do everything. The shocks were the easiest part. A qualified shop should be able to do 4 shocks in an hour easily.
Our friend loves the improvements to their coach’s ride. He felt that it has actually saved him from a rollover when a car cut him off on the highway. They are so much more comfortable and confident in their BayStar now.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 05:42 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
I installed the complete front and rear kit from SuperSteer on my friends 22k chassis. This included:
Replacement Komi shocks all around
Rear track bar
Additional rear sway bar
Heavier front sway bar
Radius rods
SafeTSteer unit

It took me approx 5 hours to do everything. The shocks were the easiest part. A qualified shop should be able to do 4 shocks in an hour easily.
Our friend loves the improvements to their coach’s ride. He felt that it has actually saved him from a rollover when a car cut him off on the highway. They are so much more comfortable and confident in their BayStar now.
Was your install on the F53 V8 Chassis?
Thanks
Old 03-08-2023, 08:24 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
No. It was a V10 chassis. I’m sure the same items would improve the V8 chassis also since Ford did not do anything dramatic to significantly improve the new chassis.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:30 AM   #6

I find the ride on my 2022 Entegra Vision 29S to be pretty good until the winds get above 20 mph from a bad angle.

This weekend I drove it in a crosswind for over an hour with 20-25 G30-35 and it was a handful.

Not sure what will help in those situations as even some of those that have done a lot of mods confess they aren't comprehensive to all marginal driving situations.

I never expect it to drive like my toad.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:51 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
I find the ride on my 2022 Entegra Vision 29S to be pretty good until the winds get above 20 mph from a bad angle.

This weekend I drove it in a crosswind for over an hour with 20-25 G30-35 and it was a handful.

Not sure what will help in those situations as even some of those that have done a lot of mods confess they aren't comprehensive to all marginal driving situations.

I never expect it to drive like my toad.
I see your in FT. Pierce, FL. I am too. I am pleased with the Jayco E-Z Ride on the Vision 29S. I think the Tractor Trailer push/pull is ok with the new F53 V8 chassis, certainly better the the old F53 V10 Chassis. I am not sure about the high head/cross wind driving as I have not experienced it.
I do have vibrations which causes squeaking. Front end alignment and Front Wheel balancing has helped. Have you experienced this?

I would not change anything if I drive only in the southeast where the roads are decent. But the northeast interstates in PA, NY, MA are full of rough road, expansion joints and potholes.
I am looking at Koni FSD Shocks, Sumo Springs, wheel balancers on all four corners.
Thanks for reading
Old 03-10-2023, 04:48 AM   #8

I did have a few vibration periods on my last 2 hr trip to Deland, Fl. They weren't present at all for the majority of the trip and none on may last trip to Lake Kissimmee.

Have thought about front end alignment. Will Wait to see if the vibration returns and worsens.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 08:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
No. It was a V10 chassis. I’m sure the same items would improve the V8 chassis also since Ford did not do anything dramatic to significantly improve the new chassis.
Not true - the sway bars are now 2" thick - MUCH better handling from the factory
Old 03-11-2023, 06:25 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack73 View Post
Not true - the sway bars are now 2" thick - MUCH better handling from the factory
I also think the infamous CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) is obsolete on the new F53 V8. Would you agree?

The suspension upgrades that I think are still valid :

SuperSteer 380 Perf Package (Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Steer) $1750
Kona EVO FSD Shocks (new technology available spring 2023) $950
Sumo Springs $1500
Wheel balancers $446
Subtotal (Parts): $4650
Labor est. 8 hours @ $200: $1600
Grand Total $6250

My main issue is with the ride is vibration and high frequency shock (pavement and bridge joints, rough road and pot holes). So might defer the SuperSteer Perf package.

Any comments welcomed, thanks for reading
Old 03-12-2023, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDream View Post
I also think the infamous CHF (Cheap Handling Fix) is obsolete on the new F53 V8. Would you agree?

The suspension upgrades that I think are still valid :

SuperSteer 380 Perf Package (Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Steer) $1750
Kona EVO FSD Shocks (new technology available spring 2023) $950
Sumo Springs $1500
Wheel balancers $446
Subtotal (Parts): $4650
Labor est. 8 hours @ $200: $1600
Grand Total $6250

My main issue is with the ride is vibration and high frequency shock (pavement and bridge joints, rough road and pot holes). So might defer the SuperSteer Perf package.

Any comments welcomed, thanks for reading
I would suggest looking at what each of these components is trying to fix and deciding if that is something you are experiencing. But yes, there is no such thing as the CHF on the v8's. The sway bar end links don't have multiple positions.

IE. Rear track bar is to help locate the rear end side to side. This provides the benefit of reducing tail wag and blow from opposing vehicles. So if you have a decently large tail (amount of motorhome behind the axel) this will benefit you. But if you have a short tail, this could be a waste of money.

Wheel balancers will help if you are struggling with wheel vibrations at a given speed (above 30). If your tires are balanced well and you have no vibrations, this probably won't do much other than lighten your wallet. Could further extend the mileage of the tires... but most of us time out so not a big deal.

Sumo springs - big help in handling sway and side to side rocking. Our new big beefy sway bars are doing a lot more of this than in the past, but there is a good amount of rocking that can happen in corners or off angle stuff. BUT the big downside is the Sumo's can be very harsh over bumps (expansion joint type hits) which it sounds like is your main concern - so this may actually make your experience worse.

Personally, I have the rear track bar and the Safe-T-Plus. Track bar is great and recommend that (I have a big tail), but I do not like the Safe-T-plus. It adds extra resistance while turning but the v8's are already pretty tight feeling, so it is now just a little annoying. I wouldn't recommend it, and I'm considering actually taking mine off.

I have not done shocks yet, but I would suspect those would help. I plan to do those next year.
Old 05-13-2023, 02:35 PM   #12

Shocks

I just installed Baufon front shocks and they did make the ride softer.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPM891PG...roduct_details

Think this is my lowest price best result upgrade.
jaycop Alante 26X, 16k chassis
hbrand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53, ford, shocks