Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 04:25 PM   #1

32SA brake reservoir mystery

Hi all,

Hereís a weird one perhaps someone out there has experienced.
2017 Open Road 32SA with the Ford chassis

My brake reservoir has 2 yellow caps. The one furthest to the front keeps coming off. At first I thought I had forgotten to replace the cap when I checked the fluid.
I picked up two identical caps at the auto wrecker and installed one.
After a 1000 mile road trip I happened to glance at the reservoir and cap was missing again. Put another one on but this time I used some electrical tape to try and hold it down. After another 1000 miles the cap was still there but had backed off and was loose. Never heard of this before. When I twist the cap I can tell it engages the locking mechanism.

Anyone else had this happen?

Thanks

Keith
Rv10ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 07:23 PM   #2

Do you live in a mountain area ?

If the brake fluid is contaminated with moisture , it can boil and that will make it expand.

Should change it anyway, Ford recommends every 2 years.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #3

I live in the okanagan so yes kind of in the mountains. I need to change the fluid and flush. What I would really love to know if anyone has changed their own brake fluid and did a flush. Looks like it uses two different brake fluids Ö.both Dot 3 and 5.1 but in which reservoir? Looks like there is 2.
Not a lot of information available on line.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #4

For the brake fluid my 2018 E450 says to use DOT 4 LV brake fluid. The LV means low viscosity. Both caps will use the same fluid.

As for the cap coming off, check around the opening of the good one that the cap stays on. There should be 3 little tabs around the circumference of the opening. Maybe those are missing from the bad opening because someone tried to pry the cap off instead of twisting it?
Old 10-03-2022, 10:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv10ner View Post
I live in the okanagan so yes kind of in the mountains. I need to change the fluid and flush. What I would really love to know if anyone has changed their own brake fluid and did a flush. Looks like it uses two different brake fluids Ö.both Dot 3 and 5.1 but in which reservoir? Looks like there is 2.
Not a lot of information available on line.

Thanks
Per my manual on my 2018 32SA on a 24K chassis I am supposed to use DOT 5.1 brake fluid. You should check your manual to ensure you use the proper fluid.
Thanks,
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #6

Dot 5.1 and Dot 3 are listed in my manual. Thought for sure someone would have posted a YouTube con doing a brake flush. Canít be that hard to do. If I was at home in my shop Iíd do it but Iím headed to Palm Springs from San Diego right now so may have to find a decent shop in the palm

Keith
Old 10-06-2022, 06:06 PM   #7

So I’m in the process of changing fluid and it’s fairly straight forward.

Suck out the fluid from both reservoirs. Top each up with DOT 5.1. Put on the caps. Go to the rear right wheel and loosen the bleeder. Have a partner pump the brakes with the engine running and ebrake applied. Once you get clear fluid. Top up the reservoirs. Repeat for the left rear then right front and finally left front. Ensure reservoirs are topped up.

The reason my cap kept coming loose is that the bracket for the front hood rubs on the cap and forces it to loosen then pop off. Nice design Tiffen! I’ll have to get angle grinder and take a bit of the steel off so it doesn’t touch. Can’t believe they would make it that close.
BTW be prepared to bump at least 150.00 worth of fluid that 5.1 stuff is like crazy priced
Keith

Tags
brake