Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #1

460 Headers (long)

So after multiple posts about the benefits of adding headers to the 460 I decided to pull the trigger on installing a set on my 1996 Bounder 34P. I didn't want to spend the money associated with the Banks system but I still wanted the extra power. I bought Doug Thorley headers part # THY-214Y-FI4-C. Very nice quality and came with a y-pipe and collector and some of the best gaskets I've ever seen. Before dropping it off at a local muffler shop to have the headers installed and a custom exhaust built I took it out to a deserted stretch of flat road and did a 0-60 time so I could get some reference on the added power. Keep in mind I live at 5000' but the fully loaded time was 27.8 seconds with a vehicle weight 16210 lbs. After talking to the muffler shop it had some of the expected issues with broken bolts. One on the passenger side and 3 that had to be drilled out on the drivers side. This made me glad I had a professional install the headers. He installed a 3" system with a Walker RV muffler and a chrome tip. He does phenomal work and I've had him build the exhaust for my 650 hp Nova and most of my car buddies have had him build thier systems and everyone I know has been glad they went to him. So to make a long story longer I took it out today on the same stretch of road and my new 0-60 time was 22.2 seconds under the similar conditions. Total cost of me buying the headers and having him install the headers and build exhaust was $1600.00 It seems to run cooler and I couldn't be happier. If anyone local is interested in the muffler shop name feel free to message me.

Adam
afrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Those are the same Thorleys I put on my 97. Although I did not actually time a run, based on seat of my pant feel...same results and very happy with it.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Adam,

You've made the same discovery so many of us with the old 460 F53 chassis have.
Headers (regardless of brand) totally "wake up" the power monster that was sleeping in our engines for all those years. Night and day difference. Enjoy!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Yup - same here. Last year put Hedman headers on. And a better intake filter system. Made all the diff in the world on hills.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:26 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am real interested in headers, my main fear of a break down on a long trip is a broken manifold. On Thorleys web site they show the number below, no y pipe, any thoughts?

THY-214Y-FI-S-C
Old 05-02-2014, 02:21 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brock, I looked at the picture on the web site and it looks like the LH header is actually shaped to use a Y-pipe. Perhaps it is simply sold separately for some reason. Probably worth calling them to see.

You could use old-school headers where they are completely separate duals but it would never pass any emissions inspection since the original system is 2-into-1.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:16 PM   #7

Brock,

Those are essentially the same headers without the y pipe included. Its for people who want to run dual exhaust. I can tell you with the single exhaust mine is loud enough as is without running dual exhaust. Its quiet enough at crusing speed but it definitely has a bark at wide open throttle. Mine exits in front of the passenger side rear tire and I think it would have been quieter if it had gone out the back. If I were a full timer I might change this but we just use it to play on the weekend in Colorado so I'm okay with the sound.

Adam
Old 05-03-2014, 03:25 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Adam,

You didn't say what brand of muffler your shop put on. When I did my exhaust, I bought a full bolt-on system from Flowmaster. It is a 3" single with a 24" long oval muffler and follows the factory routing, even using the factory hangers and exits in front of the passenger side rear tire like yours. As is typical for Flowmaster mufflers, it was LOUD. At first I was OK with it but I decided I would like it to be a bit quieter so after much shopping around I decided to go with a 30" long stainless round-case Magnaflow. I removed the Flowmaster muffler and put in the Magnaflow, unfortunately it was not too much different. The Magnaflow was maybe a few decibels quieter and had a slightly different note to it. OK, so I've still got this perfectly good Flowmaster I just pulled off, so I installed it about 18" in front of the Magnaflow. EUREKA! Quiet! In fact almost too quiet. I could not believe the difference in sound. Both of these mufflers are very low restriction, performance units but when combined together the sum is greater than the parts.

So if you are serious about quieting down your exhaust, a second muffler would be easier to add in than a new custom bent over-the-axle rear pipe.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #9

Nick,

Good to know, they muffler shop used a Walker RV free flow muffler. I'm not sure of the length. I haven't measured it but it was fairly long. Maybe I will try that before our trip to Mount Rushmore this summer.

Adam
Old 05-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll try to call them tomorrow, some of the ads read it was not included, indication was it might be available. My exhaust (stock) is a Y pipe into the muffler, then 2 out just in front of the rear wheels, driver side.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #11

Brock

Your set up is the same as mine was stock. Here is the part number for your application. THY-214Y-FI4-C Don't forget to enter the code DT when you check out, it will save you about $80.00. I know on the website it says 93 1/2 to 95 but in the instructions that come with it it says 93 1/2 to 98 (not really sure why). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Adam