Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

5 Star Tune and Cruise Control

I’ve been reading about the 5star tune. I think I read that it’s not as effective if cruise control is used frequently. Also that for 6 speed it isn’t worth it. Is this accurate? Feedback? TIA
Tdhewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdhewins View Post
I’ve been reading about the 5star tune. I think I read that it’s not as effective if cruise control is used frequently. Also that for 6 speed it isn’t worth it. Is this accurate? Feedback? TIA
No it is not accurate.
You will have many opinions of the 5 Star tune on a 5 speed or a 6 speed transmission.

I have a 5 speed and I feel it makes driving the V10 easier.
It is difficult to explain I words as many people have different understands of someone words.

My shift is more solid and smoother. The engine and transmission are more of one piece of equipment.

It also changes the up shifting and down shifting pattern so it doesn't change as much on hill and mountain roads up and down.

You can still use cruise but what you will notice that you will get less down shifting 1 or 2 gears on slight hills when you are running at 55 mph ort higher.

And I still feel even the newer 6 speed transmissions will make driving earlier and less tiring on long hauls.

I'm sure others will chime in and explain how they feel about 5 star tune.

If you are happy with the way your drive why you asking?
IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdhewins View Post

It took three tries to get the tune I wanted for my 6-sp. I wanted the normal shifting pattern with the tow/haul off but it to remain in gear longer rather than down shift with the cruise on. I wanted are really aggressive down shift pattern with the tow/haul on, keeping the engine above 2,500 rpm even with moderate throttle. I am happy to say that 5 Star was able to get my coach to perform the way I wanted.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:48 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i am not sure the words are going to be typed the same way I have them in my head......but here goes:

5 Star Tune, out of the box, is great for us. Works and designed - the wife even noticed the difference riding on the co-pilot seat and mentioned something. I agree with Iggy tech's post.......

Now lets go to cruise control.

I learned a long time ago on my cars, the cruise control will do all in its power to maintain the speed set for the cruise control. It will continue to downshift and maintain RPMs until either set speed is reached or the pull on the engine no longer requires a high RPM.

Same with my F53.

What I do (famous last words) is when I start on a grade and I am in cruise control, I will release the cruise control at the first down shift. I then manually throttle the motor home. It may downshift again but I maintain an RPM that still gets me up the grade but not at the 4.5 to 5K RPM level of engine performance. It works for me and I make it not much slower than the engine at full speed. The 5 Star will delay initial downshift but a continued call for speed on the engine will take precedence and the transmission will down shift.

5 speed transmission versus 6 speed transmission - I have never driven a 5 speed F53 so I am sorry I have nothing to compare. My 6 speed drives well, thanks to 5 Star. I average about 7.5 to almost 8mpg in perfect conditions. (No tow, no wind/gusts, no grades) In normal conditions I average 6.5 to 7mpg. This is also driving in the 62-65mph range.

Now in comparison. My 2015 F150 came with a 6 speed transmission. Drives great, I can get almost 23mpg during long highway drives. Normal mpg is in the 17-19mpg. The new F150s now sport a 10 speed transmission. Hmmmm - - I stay away from the Ford store as I don't need a 10 speeds.....(yet)....! LOL

Good luck in your 5 Star/transmission research.

g
Old 07-03-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyTech View Post
No it is not accurate.
You will have many opinions of the 5 Star tune on a 5 speed or a 6 speed transmission.

I have a 5 speed and I feel it makes driving the V10 easier.
It is difficult to explain I words as many people have different understands of someone words.

My shift is more solid and smoother. The engine and transmission are more of one piece of equipment.

It also changes the up shifting and down shifting pattern so it doesn't change as much on hill and mountain roads up and down.

You can still use cruise but what you will notice that you will get less down shifting 1 or 2 gears on slight hills when you are running at 55 mph ort higher.

And I still feel even the newer 6 speed transmissions will make driving earlier and less tiring on long hauls.

I'm sure others will chime in and explain how they feel about 5 star tune.

If you are happy with the way your drive why you asking?

Did I say I was happy lol??? Thanks for the info. I appreciate the detailed response!!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
i am not sure the words are going to be typed the same way I have them in my head......but here goes:

5 Star Tune, out of the box, is great for us. Works and designed - the wife even noticed the difference riding on the co-pilot seat and mentioned something. I agree with Iggy tech's post.......

Now lets go to cruise control.

I learned a long time ago on my cars, the cruise control will do all in its power to maintain the speed set for the cruise control. It will continue to downshift and maintain RPMs until either set speed is reached or the pull on the engine no longer requires a high RPM.

Same with my F53.

What I do (famous last words) is when I start on a grade and I am in cruise control, I will release the cruise control at the first down shift. I then manually throttle the motor home. It may downshift again but I maintain an RPM that still gets me up the grade but not at the 4.5 to 5K RPM level of engine performance. It works for me and I make it not much slower than the engine at full speed. The 5 Star will delay initial downshift but a continued call for speed on the engine will take precedence and the transmission will down shift.

5 speed transmission versus 6 speed transmission - I have never driven a 5 speed F53 so I am sorry I have nothing to compare. My 6 speed drives well, thanks to 5 Star. I average about 7.5 to almost 8mpg in perfect conditions. (No tow, no wind/gusts, no grades) In normal conditions I average 6.5 to 7mpg. This is also driving in the 62-65mph range.

Now in comparison. My 2015 F150 came with a 6 speed transmission. Drives great, I can get almost 23mpg during long highway drives. Normal mpg is in the 17-19mpg. The new F150s now sport a 10 speed transmission. Hmmmm - - I stay away from the Ford store as I don't need a 10 speeds.....(yet)....! LOL

Good luck in your 5 Star/transmission research.

g

Thanks for all the great info!!! That helps a lot!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
It took three tries to get the tune I wanted for my 6-sp. I wanted the normal shifting pattern with the tow/haul off but it to remain in gear longer rather than down shift with the cruise on. I wanted are really aggressive down shift pattern with the tow/haul on, keeping the engine above 2,500 rpm even with moderate throttle. I am happy to say that 5 Star was able to get my coach to perform the way I wanted.

Good to know!! Thank you!
Old 07-03-2018, 02:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I've had two F53 RVs - one was a 5 speed trans and it desperately needed the 5-Star tune. But before I bit the bullet to get a tune for it we bought a new Class A with a 6-speed trans.

Based on my experience with the 5-speed I ordered a 5-Star as soon as I got the new Class A because of how much it was needed on the old Class C.

Here's my honest opinion. While it's a great product it is not hardly needed at all on the 6-speed model F53 RVs.

I installed the tune after the first 800 miles on the 6-speed equipped Class A. I thought it worked pretty great. After about 5,000 miles I decided to restore the stock tune for a comparison and to see what it would do for fuel mileage. I hardly noticed ANY difference without the 5-star tune.

I did reinstall the 5-star tune after another 3,000 miles of "testing" and I guess it's very slightly better with it. Seems to pick up from a stop faster. But that's about all.

I do know if I had a 5-speed F53 it would be mandatory to have a 5-star tune.

As to Cruise Control I always use it to keep my rig at 55 to 58 mph so my gas mileage stays above 6 mpg.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:33 AM   #9

We have the 6-speed trans and have had the 5 Star for around 5000 miles now. I do like the shifting patterns with the 5 Star and the way it hold the hills better. Although we have the 6-speed it might as well be a 5-speed since my DW doesn't like me to drive over 65 mph (it doesn't shift up to 6th until around 67-68 mph). We are getting around 9 mpg while towing.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #10

We just got back from a 1,700 mile road trip and I was going to post this very same question. I drove most of this very hilly and windy route between 65 and 70 and without cruise on, mainly because the sudden down shifts and 4.8k rpm drove me nuts. Driving manually I had to down shift a few times and ran at 4-4.2k, but never much over that.

I think this thread answered most of the questions I had, and I'm going to order the 5 Star tune.

One observation: every car/truck I've owned with cruise control has a "cancel" button. Ford says "tap the brake pedal". Would it have killed them to just add a Cancel button to the steering wheel controls? I found it easier to just hit Off, then On and reset my speed than tapping the brake at the base of a climb.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyCamper View Post
One observation: every car/truck I've owned with cruise control has a "cancel" button. Ford says "tap the brake pedal". Would it have killed them to just add a Cancel button to the steering wheel controls? I found it easier to just hit Off, then On and reset my speed than tapping the brake at the base of a climb.
The "Resume" button actually toggles between Cancel and Resume. At least it does on my 2010 F53 chassis.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyCamper View Post
I think this thread answered most of the questions I had, and I'm going to order the 5 Star tune.
With a 2015 (aka 5-speed) you're going to LOVE the change a 5-Star Tune makes.

By the way, as someone that went from a 2015 5-speed F53 to a 2017 6-speed F53 I can tell you the difference in driving with hills and wind, etc is night and day difference. Enough difference that even if there were no other differences in the RV it would be worth the upgrade. (assuming cost etc wasn't a hindrance.)
Old 07-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
The "Resume" button actually toggles between Cancel and Resume. At least it does on my 2010 F53 chassis.

I'll try that next time I have it out, but the manual says:

Quote:
Canceling the Set Speed
Tap the brake pedal. The set speed will
not erase.
If all it takes is hitting the resume button I'd be really happy and even forgive Ford for not putting that in the manual or marking the button.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:32 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Total transmission failure!

Installed 5Star tuning on my 2012 Bounder (V10 5 Speed transmission) first trip was 800 miles out and 800 back. On return trip noticed tranny was beginning to shift somewhat erratically. 70 miles later transmission failed completely, required a $500 tow back to town! Not happy:-(
Mdh1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise control