RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #1

$5000 brake job?

Just got off the phone with repair shop and he is giving a $5000 ball park estimate for a brake job on my ACE. He says the left side (front and rear) is metal to metal but the right rear still had 50% left. Front right was in between. He states this indicates an issue with the brake lines. He recommends new brake lines, pads, rotors, and calipers all around. Does this sound reasonable?.

The coach has 96,500 miles but I have the brakes checked every year...or so I told the last mechanic to do so. I just started to hear some noise from the brakes on the way from Las Vegas to FL last month. The coach didn't seem to require more brake pedal pressure and it did seem to stop OK.
FredKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #2

I think 5k for a brake job is ridiculous. Only thing on brake lines that need replacing would be rubber line from body to caliper.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:06 PM   #3

He suggested that somehow a brake line "collapsed" to an extent that brake fluid was not flowing back to the master cylinder.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Look around for a while.. I think there would be a bunch of mechanics that would do that for $1200 total... Including parts!
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:08 PM   #5

YES The rubber line collapses when letting off the pedal not releasing pressure to the caliper. Those are the rubber lines going from the body to the caliper. Max about $50 a piece if that much. Steel lines don't collapse

You're getting HOSED
Old 01-12-2021, 03:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think that is high. Is that air brakes?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

Not air brakes
Old 01-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I think 5k for a brake job is ridiculous. Only thing on brake lines that need replacing would be rubber line from body to caliper.

I agree with you on the 5K being ridiculous but the statement about the only part of the brake line that needs to be replaced is the rubber part is not accurate, you do not know what condition the rest of the brake line is in, are they rusty/about to burst? Who knows, if the camper was driven a lot where they use salt on the roads or by the ocean a lot this can cause the brake lines to deteriorate to the point where they are plugging up, With that being said I would suspect a stuck caliper or a caliper guide pin (rusty). I would find out what shape all the brake lines are in, if they are in good shape then I would try to replace the rubber part of the brake lines and once the calipers are taken off the mechanic will be able to tell you if the caliper piston or guide pin is stuck.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:15 PM   #9

Find a different mechanic. I'm not saying you don't need all this, but I'm highly suspicious. The issues you describe sounds like sticking caliper slide pins.
I just completed brakes on mine (same as you) chassis. I also did wheel bearings and seals just cuz I was in there. My total parts cost including new rotors, pads, wheel bearings both sides front with seals, and 1 rear axle seal found when I was doing the work. My parts cost was 645.00 cdn dollars so about 500 US. Multiply by 3 should get you to a more normal price. For 5000, I'll fly down there , do all the work with parts of your choice!
The pricing given , to me, sounds , like the price of a job they DON'T want to do.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
I agree with you on the 5K being ridiculous but the statement about the only part of the brake line that needs to be replaced is the rubber part is not accurate, you do not know what condition the rest of the brake line is in, are they rusty/about to burst? Who knows, if the camper was driven a lot where they use salt on the roads or by the ocean a lot this can cause the brake lines to deteriorate to the point where they are plugging up, With that being said I would suspect a stuck caliper or a caliper guide pin (rusty). I would find out what shape all the brake lines are in, if they are in good shape then I would try to replace the rubber part of the brake lines and once the calipers are taken off the mechanic will be able to tell you if the caliper piston or guide pin is stuck.
My response was based on what OP said. Not on mechanic saying lines were rusty and ready to burst.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:27 PM   #11

Since the front and rear brakes work independently, his collapsed line theory would be a rare occorance. It would take a collapsed line on each wheel.

I would suspect frozen caliper slides as a more believable cause of pad wear. Since the calipers come off anyway, there shouldn't be any extra charges.

Second opinion time.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:36 PM   #12

Where are you now ?? Has the RV been in salty roads or near the beach in Florida ? That's the only way to get rusty steel brake lines. A bad caliper will wear the pads more on one side. Have you had the brake fluid regularly ?? What shop is it at ?? Hope not at a Camping World. It probably only needs Rubber Hoses, Calipers, Pads and New Rotors on the front and flush the rear brakes if they have enough thickness on the pads !!
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:43 PM   #13

It seems on this later stuff, 2000 on at least, the calipers need to be replaced or at least rebuilt. This includes any passenger I have had. Too many times I have just pushed the pistons back and in a few miles they are stuck. Also the brake hoses have collapsed and ruined a new set of pads. It definitely sounds like the OP is having issues getting the calipers to back off and evidently the garage is trying to cover their butts. Did they say it would be $5,000 or that is the worst case scenario. I could see it getting spendy if all the steel lines need replacing, that involves a lot of labor.
Old 01-12-2021, 03:45 PM   #14

If it were my coach, I would be inclined to have him replace rotors and pads only. It doesn't sound like you are losing brake fluid from a caliper so those could probably go further.

Tags
brake