Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 06:43 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
5Star Tune - Would not load - error

I spent most of my day trying to load my brand new 5star tune. I loaded it and got an error. Put the stock program back in and got it running again. I called SCT who manufactures the tuner and they worked with me on the phone, tried loading again, same thing. So they had me hook it up to my laptop and they took control of my computer and downloaded some programing to the tune and it tried again. No luck, after several tries and having to load the stock program back in each time they gave up. They asked me to hook it to the laptop again so they could get info off the device. I am now supposed to wait until their engineering dept comes up with a fix, no time estimate.

****My question, has anyone else experienced this**** I am thinking of contacting the dealer (5star) and get a refund.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #2

Don't think I'm going to need one
Old 05-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #3

This is the first negative thought about 5 Star I have ever seen. Give them a chance to work through this and see how it goes. What motor are you trying to re-tune?
Old 05-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Are you able to check for errors on obdii with 5 star tune device? I seem to remember a chassis fuse on mine that was blown and my scanner would not function. The fuse was listed in the owner manual.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
This is the first negative thought about 5 Star I have ever seen. Give them a chance to work through this and see how it goes. What motor are you trying to re-tune?
I have a 2016 ford v10
Old 05-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Are you able to check for errors on obdii with 5 star tune device? I seem to remember a chassis fuse on mine that was blown and my scanner would not function. The fuse was listed in the owner manual.
The tuner acted like it was loading and the tech said it was working to the very end. The error came up right after it was done downloading. error code 110D8, the tech said they have to research this problem and they have had this come up a couple times.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:46 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Give the 5 Star Tune team a call. Based on my experience and other owners reports, they will be all over it. As The Powells report, first time any negatives on 5 Star.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I went through this a month ago on my 2016, there is a known issue with the firmware of the actual devise, call 5 star and they will give you the tune as a custom tune and it will load.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:26 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

On a few 2016 and 2017 applications we have seen an issue with the preloaded files on our 7015FS tuner. On these applications we have been working with SCT on a fix. Our files are correct. There was an issue in the firmware when SCT created our device firmware. They are aware of this issue and have been working on a fix/new firmware release with an anticipated release date within the next several weeks.

With this issue tuner throws a 110D8 code upon final tuning. This is a checksum error on the device. We have had a workaround to correct this issue for months. We have sent updated instructions for these applications including a pink sheet of paper requesting your strategy code and swpn off of the vehicle via the device. (This and the box code were how we build tunes in previous years).

Once we have these codes you will have your custom tune file in a matter of hours. With this file on the device you will be able to load your tune files without issues. No error codes or delays. Myself and Aaron can even remote access your computer and load your tune for you while we talk through the tuning process on the phone.

If I can further answer any questions on the 110D8 issue feel free to reach out to me at 843-536-1244 x 102 or chris@5startuning.com.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Can't beat one day and getting a response. Service with a smile in todays world!

LEN
Old 05-10-2017, 03:53 AM   #11
RV LIFE Support Team

I guess I don't understand why you called SCT rather than 5 Star in the beginning.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I guess I don't understand why you called SCT rather than 5 Star in the beginning.
Easy mistake to call the manufacturer instead of 5 Star I think. Can be difficult and confusing when there are multiple levels of hardware and software involved. I am surprised SCT did not say to contact 5 Star but I am sure they were going through their troubleshooting steps first. Can't fault them for trying either.
Good to see 5 Star still has exceptional customer service and are on top of the issue.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Two thumbs up for 5 Star!! Again.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #14

I just installed a 5star on Sunday. 06 Ford standard tune loaded with no issues, just itchy to try it out...😨