Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2020, 10:55 AM   #1

6 speed transmission manual shifting

My 2018 Ford F53 manual states that it has a "TorqShift" 6 speed transmission with 2 Overdrive gear ratios, and Tow/Haul mode.
I understand how to make it downshift going down hill in tow/haul mode by pressing and releasing the brake pedal, and it works pretty good.
I would like to understand a little bit more about how it works, especially by manually shifting it to a gear lower than "D" to go up or down hills.
The gear shift lever indicates gears for "P R N D 4 2 1". My questions are:
1) Is overdrive gear #6 and it only goes into overdrive after gear 5 has built up enough speed?

2) I'm puzzled by why it doesn't show gears #5 and #3 on the shift selector.

3) If you manually put it in a gear, does that mean it will not shift up above that gear selection? ie, if I put it in 2nd gear from stop still, does it start out in first gear then go into 2nd gear, but will not shift above that?

Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #2

Ok here are my thoughts... we have a F550 Super-C with the 6.7 Diesel and 6 speed transmission. I usually don't mess with the manual mode and use the D (drive) and let the computer do its stuff. Using the tow/haul mode will downshift automatically to slow you down when using the brake. Also, if using the cruise control the transmission will downshift to keep your selected speed. For example, we just returned from Arizona and used the cruise control at a slower speed (50-55 MPH) through the mountains. The transmission automatically down shifted to help keep the speed down to the selected speed. Ok, now to manually starting from a stop... if the indicator says you are in 2nd gear more than likely the computer is allowing this to happen. Oh as for the overdrive, 5th and 6th are your overdrive gears. What ever happened to non-complicated electronics as everything is computer controlled. Hope my two cents helps... Happy Trails!!Click image for larger version

Name:	20160523_121500.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	290051
lrgomez1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wog099 View Post
The gear shift lever indicates gears for "P R N D 4 2 1". My questions are:
1) Is overdrive gear #6 and it only goes into overdrive after gear 5 has built up enough speed?

3) If you manually put it in a gear, does that mean it will not shift up above that gear selection? ie, if I put it in 2nd gear from stop still, does it start out in first gear then go into 2nd gear, but will not shift above that?
Great questions! I know how to use mine and I think I do so effectively, but I don't understand the processes, technology or the various methods of utilizing the 6 speed transmission properly. I'd like to understand what is working, when and what for, and then what is the proper and preferred way to use the transmission safely and effectively. Mine is on a 26000 lb F53 chassis.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Both fifth gear (0.858:1) and sixth gear (0.674:1) are overdrive ratios. It will only shift to sixth when the speed is high enough.

Quote:
Because Ford didn't want to spend the money to include all of those positions.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #5

Thanks Mark. I understand the overdrive now and the "cost saving efficiencies of Ford". Can you add any clarification for my third question, copied below?

Quote:
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:39 PM   #6

No, I can't. I left Ford before that trans was developed. I've never even driven one.

If it has been programmed like the earlier transmissions that I worked on, if you put it in 2 it only operates in 2. If you put it in 3, it only operates in 3. It does not use lower or higher gears. But I don't know if this one acts that way or not.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe I can help here, retired ford fse, there are 2 different 6 speeds, one has the mechanical cluster reading PRND4321, then there is the 6 speed with electronic cluster it reads PRNM21, that 6 speed has a toggle switch on the shifter that has the + and - on the shifter with a tow haul button on the end.
It is best to go to www.fleet.ford.com and find your owner manual, for operation.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:49 PM   #8

I think the "slap" shifter is only used on some pick up truck models and has never been used on the F-53 chassis.
Old 06-20-2020, 06:21 PM   #9

I believe the 2020 V8, 6 speed has the ability to select each gear.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:35 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's very true, due to the fact that the F53 does not use the electronic cluster as you would find on F550's
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I think the "slap" shifter is only used on some pick up truck models and has never been used on the F-53 chassis.
Old 06-21-2020, 06:26 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Circling back

This is very informative. I am circling back here though around the original questions

On my F53 26000 lb 2016 6 speed, can I or should I shift the selector manually in travel (steep hills up and down) OR should I strictly allow the transmission to make its own selection in tow haul mode?

Thanks
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #12

I leave my 6 speed in drive ( D ).

I set the cruise control and listen to it shift up or down to keep the speed constant.

In my old 4 speed, I would need to put the shifter in 2nd, on real steep, down hills.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Run tow /haul when on the highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
This is very informative. I am circling back here though around the original questions

On my F53 26000 lb 2016 6 speed, can I or should I shift the selector manually in travel (steep hills up and down) OR should I strictly allow the transmission to make its own selection in tow haul mode?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2020, 10:09 AM   #14

On our 2019 6 speed transmission I put it in D and turn on tow haul mode and leave it there. I may turn off tow haul so it will shift to a higher gear quicker as we come off a decline, but turn it back on immediately.

The transmission is pretty smart so I let it do it’s thing.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, transmission