Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
7 quarts oil V10

My Ford dealer was closed so I opted for the local Wallmart Oil Change. I noted they added 7 quarts of oil when I got home. I know it only should take 6 quarts. Will this create a problem as I'm headed to Florida about 2,000 mile round trip. How difficult is it to drain off a quart of oil?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman
My Ford dealer was closed so I opted for the local Wallmart Oil Change. I noted they added 7 quarts of oil when I got home. I know it only should take 6 quarts. Will this create a problem as I'm headed to Florida about 2,000 mile round trip. How difficult is it to drain off a quart of oil?
If Wal Mart over filled it I would take it back and have them drain out the one extra quart. I believe the extra quart may cause a problem
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It may be a hassle, but take it back & have them drain off the excess.

I ended up changing service centers for my chassis because the 1st 2 times our chassis oil was changed, the shop put in 6.5 & 7 qts respectively. Even after I wrote them a letter about overfilling, included a copy of the page from the Ford chassis owner's manual that stated the oil capacity AND included a copy of a 2008 MH Magazine article that pointed out techs not waiting enough time after engine start up before checking the dipstick when doing a filter change with new oil fill on an F53, they STILL insisted 6.5-7 qts was what my engine was requiring. With that I decided to find a shop that would follow the chassis specs.

I don't know if any damage was done by the 2 years mine was overfilled. Only time will tell. At least the 1st shop has my letter documentation on file (or at least I think they do - unless they filed it in their trash can) in case I have issues down the road.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post

When you change the oil and filter the v-10 takes 7 quarts of oil.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave, appreciate your sharing. I should have known better but wanted to get started on our trip. If I could drain myself, I'd rather not deal with them again. I'm sure they will insist it should be 7 quarts.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Now I'm really confused....chassis guide states 6 quarts.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #7

w6pea-- It may depend on the engine. My 2001 manual says 6 quarts.
wackymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #8

I've been putting 6 quarts in my V10 when changing for the 10 years I've owned it. Just like the chassis manual that came with the motor home says. Some of the early V10's had the wrong dip sticks that showed a quart low when 6 quarts was put in.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:

With all due respect, the Ford chassis manual Maintenance & Specifications, REFILL CAPACITIES page (which I am looking at mine, 2006) states:

Engine oil
(includes filter
change) - gas
engines

If that's what the OP's chassis manual states too, then 6 qts is all that's supposed to go in it.

Lori-

On edit, with that said, I believe newer chassis manuals call for 7 qts. I don't know why the change, though - it's the same engine.

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Now I'm really confused....chassis guide states 6 quarts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
w6pea-- It may depend on the engine. My 2001 manual says 6 quarts.

The V-10 in my 2005/2004 Chassis takes 7qts. I looked at the last receipt from from Kearney Mesa/Pearson Ford it said that they put 7 qts in it.
I took it over to Valvoline Lube Center in Imperial beach last month and they put 7qts. in it. Go figure.
Happy New Year.
If We Can't Haul it....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coffeeman can you tell us if the oil level is correct on your dipstick?
This is what my chassis manual says for my 2010 V10
If the oil level is between the lower and upper holes or between the MIN and MAX marks ( depending on application ), the oil level is acceptable. Do Not Add Oil.
Oil levels above the upper holt or the MAX mark may cause engine damage. Some oil must be removed from the engine by an authorized dealer.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:29 AM   #12

Mine calls for 6 quarts total w/filter change. Confirmed this with Ford Cust Sv. I would suggest you take your filter off, drain off the amount in the filter, replace with same filter, you should be good to go. Too much oil can cause foaming in the crank case.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the extra long NAPA #1087 filter made for the Ford v10 and put 7 quarts in and all is fine.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 AM   #14
Community Administrator

As I recall, there was a TSB on my 2001. The diptick with a tee handle didn't show full until 7 quarts were added. Ford replaced it with a different dipstick with a circle handle. Six quarts was the amount with filter on my 01 and my08.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
v10