Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2022, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Swan View Post
I’ll give that a try when I can get another hand to help me crack from below, can’t do it from inside the doghouse.
Someone asked how many miles on the vehicle, it has just over 33,000 original miles.
Used it almost every weekend after acquired and visited my folks in FL several times. Has not been used much over the past decade but exercised regularly over other week.
To add I just put in a new Motorcraft MAP, started it up and it fouled all the plugs again running very rough (does respond immediately to throttle however) and dies. Lotta work to get all the plugs out as left bank is not reachable from inside, too tight in there must done from inside wheel well.
THE SMOKE IS BLUISH WITH A BLACK RESIDUE IN THE EXHAUST PIPES, SMELLS LIKE GAS AND OIL..I’m now beginning to query valve seals or even a head gasket, sure hope I’m wrong and only have an over fuel issue.
Getting a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow and will also be rebuilding my spare IKE version EEC with new capacitors. Done this before many times on all sorts of pro gear, the coach ran flawlessly when I redid the originall EEC a few months ago.
Right now I’m stumped, ran codes again today after my failed Map attempt and got a total of 12 codes in my Ford OBD 1 reader. Allot of very confusing dinosaur computer information����������
White Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 09:06 PM   #16

Sounds like bad caps again.. I wanted you to check fuel pressure because it takes 5mins.. but sounds like bad caps.. computer spitting out codes like that..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-25-2022, 10:38 PM   #17

Good evening gents,

Some good but confusing news. As I stated earlier I had replaced the three common trouble capacitors in my EEC lV with excellent results. If any of you have also done this then you’ll know it’s not just an easy fix as the caps are soldered to a two sided board, sometimes very troublesome and easily botched without the right iron. As a long time pro studio musician in Nashville I’ve had more experience repairing electronics than I need but sure comes in handy.
I had a spare IKE version EEC with the well known burst caps, already had pro quality Japanese replacements from Moser electronics (the good stuff) and installed them this am.
Just for grins put that EEC in the coach which immediately fired right up even with fouled plugs and purrs like a kitten. That tells me I replaced a fuel pressure regulator, dist. cap&rotor for no reason and bought a fuel pressure gauge which arrived too late for me to check pressure prior to EEC switch. Oh well not worries. BUT!!!!

How is it that a perfectly working EEC went bad all of a sudden and for now discernible reason. Gave the original EEC caps a really good going over they look as perfect as the day I installed them. So new can of worms is this: Spent a goodly sum on a pro user ERS capacitor tester because inquiring minds want to know. I’ll be able to test them on the board installed which saves tremendous trouble. Also will test fuel pressure tomorrow which will tell me what my pump and new regulator are doing, hopefully in spec.

I’m definitely concerned about my original EEC going down after my fix, hoping there isn’t some other gremlin lurking electronically that’ll take my spare down also.
Time will tell and I will advise as to my capacitor and pressure tests.

Haven’t taken the coach on a big spin yet but will relay the results, wish me luck.
You gents are great.

White Swan
Old 09-26-2022, 08:43 AM   #18

You can rent fuel pressure gauge for free.. not buy.. so just return the one you bought and rent for free.. what is your rv jump history like? Has it been jumped lately or used to jump others? Next would be.. to check ecm grounds and see if they are rusted or corroded.. some members post.. that the wiring can break down internally.. so I would see how far this next repair takes you before chasing down wiring problems.. and no jumping.. How old is chassis battery ? And how old are coach batteries ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 09-27-2022, 08:10 AM   #19

Got my fuel pressure gauge which measure exactly in spec. 32-34 idling vacuum on 42-43 vac off.
All batteries house and start. are new or replaced in the last year or so.
Also installed a new inverter three years ago which has been perfect.
I do have a start battery quick disconnect as my start battery is an absolute bear to get to quickly and always a knuckle bust hidden inside the front frame. I’ve seriously thought of moving it over the years.

Tags
brave, engine, f53