Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #1

We took our Vectra (Ford) on our first big trip.

Blew a tire the first day, we replaced the four tires that we haven't replaced so far. A kind soul and a few extra hours on the road and we were on our way. I need to carry a 4x6 to place under the levelers, prrobably won't need it now.

So now for the big problem on the way home. After searching through posts here, it sounds to me like the fuel pump is over heating and going out. I have a few story about this issue, believe you/me.
We limped home from Estes Park, CO to Phoenix, AZ in four days fighting it. We did take the liberty of having some good nights.

Is changing the pump some thing almost any mechanic can do?
I know I have no way to drop the tank, 1/2 full, replace the fuel pump and then lift the tank back up. I am not superman and I don't have a forklift.

I am putting the front trac bar on tomorrow. Man, my shoulders are sore.

TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #2

We took our Vectra (Ford) on our first big trip.

Blew a tire the first day, we replaced the four tires that we haven't replaced so far. A kind soul and a few extra hours on the road and we were on our way. I need to carry a 4x6 to place under the levelers, prrobably won't need it now.

So now for the big problem on the way home. After searching through posts here, it sounds to me like the fuel pump is over heating and going out. I have a few story about this issue, believe you/me.
We limped home from Estes Park, CO to Phoenix, AZ in four days fighting it. We did take the liberty of having some good nights.

Is changing the pump some thing almost any mechanic can do?
I know I have no way to drop the tank, 1/2 full, replace the fuel pump and then lift the tank back up. I am not superman and I don't have a forklift.

I am putting the front trac bar on tomorrow. Man, my shoulders are sore.

TIA
Old 08-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TIA,
I would check into the possibility of installing an external electric fuel pump in line near the fuel tank.
how old and what brand was the tire that went flat? was it a puncture or something else?
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '18 MB CLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 AM   #4

Good idea on the fuel pump.

The tire seperated/delaminated. It was the second one that went like this, both inside rears. I don't remember the brand, but they weren't dry rotted and were made in 2006. On both, the people replacing the tires (different people), said the tires were manufacture defects.
At least this last blow didn't cause the damage the first did.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #5

Just curious, what brand & size were the tires that came apart?

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #6

I still don't have the brand of the tires that blew, to say anything about the brand would only be speculation.

I just got the coach back from the mechanic:

He called during the repair and said it would be too hard to put an external fuel pump on. He said the way the stock pump is made it is almost impossible to rout a pick up tube, to by pass the pump. In addition, the fuel lines up the frame are steel braided and where he would usually put the fuel pump, close to the tank, is where the air ride stuff is.
It got a stock pump.
The red wire that fed through the cover was burnt, black. He said the new pump was designed differntly, so I shouldn't have this problem again.

He did me alright though, IMO. He replaced the pump, the inline filter and added a 7 pin trailer connector for $614.XX. When I checked with the dealer the pump and the harness were ~$400, he did you a Ford part.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:57 AM   #7

Oh yeah, I installed the front trac bar and decided to replace the factory steering stabilizer.

If anyone cares, (I am a Jeep guy) I went to my local 4x4 shop and got a Rancho steering stabilizer. It wasn't listed in any of their books so we matched it up. It is a RS5000 p/n 5406, about $50. It is much better than the factory stabilizer and fit perfect.

It seems to drive better, but I haven't had it on the highway yet.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #8

You should be trouble free for quite some time as far as the fuel pump is concerned. The original pump was a diaphram style that was prone to failure, especially when the tank was run below 1/4 full. They had a tendency to overheat and eventually fail.

The new pump should be a turbine style, which has a greater flow capacity. That's somewhat important depending on when and where you drive your coach. The pump uses the flow of gasoline as a coolant so the more that goes through it the cooler it will operate.

It's still a good idea not to run the tank below 1/4 especially in hot climates.