Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 04:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Any other thoughts about a K-N air filter as a replacement air filter other than the above post. I believe K-N makes a direct replacement air filter to replace the Ford filter.
Use the direct replacement K & N. I have been using these for years and they are simply the best. (Began using them on race bikes, then race car, and for the last 10 years have them on every vehicle I own...)

The really great thing about the K & N filters is that you can go 30,000 miles or more before they 'may' need to be cleaned. I have had them on race bikes where they were completely covered in dirt but they still flowed well and when removed for cleaning there was zero dirt inside the filter/airbox!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
Thanks guys! So if I remove both #2 (screws), loosen both hose clamps on #5 (air cleaner outlet tube), and remove #3 (crankcase hose from crankcase filter) should I then be able remove the entire air cleaner out the front by sliding out to the front? Probably most of the removal of screws, hose clamps, and PVC hose needs to be done from the doghouse area, is this correct?

Yeah I will replace the crankcase filter too while I'm there. Also apprciate the heads up on making sure the PVC hose is back on subford. Motorhome only has just over 25,000 miles but I still want to physically inspect the air filter.

Any flat rate time on this project subford?

Any other thoughts about a K-N air filter as a replacement air filter other than the above post. I believe K-N makes a direct replacement air filter to replace the Ford filter.
You'll need a 1/4" ratchet with a 1/4" socket (I think) to get clearance to the bolt heads. I did the front 2 screws and next 2 screws on each side from the front of the coach and the back 2 from the doghouse. To aid in workable space, I removed some screws on the firewall that held up the RU Ber covering meant to reduce wind noise. That helped a bunch. Loosen the clamps and remove the outlet hose. I opted to remove the PCV hose from up by the intake manifold so I could replace the filter and retaining clip off the vehicle.

Easy enough to do, just keep track of the screws and take your time. Don't remember getting too cut up, I might have just gotten lucky. Have fun!

Matt
Old 04-25-2014, 07:01 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
stisdal and Matt, I appreciate your input on this task. My son is a big fan of K-N air filters and keeps trying to get me to make the switch - maybe it's time. I had wondered about the rubber covering too. When I originally started this project I had removed quite a few of screws holding this rubber in place, I think the trick is working from the front for part of the removal and then doing what you can from the doghouse - looks like it may be a upcoming project for sure.

Everyone have a great weekend.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:14 AM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by olfart View Post
The air intake on the 460 V8 has got to be the worst in the world. After fighting with the air filter box - too many times, I removed the air filter element and installed a 4 inch rain gutter flex hose from Home Depot in the front intake hose attachment. I then ran it to the pass side of the fire wall and installed a K&N type filter. You'll need to put some thought in supporting the flex hose and new filter.
If you ever install exhaust headers on the engine to get the air outta the engine - you'll need bigger air intake into the engine.
I like what you did. Is there a chance you could post some pictures? I think your mod is what I would like to do.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
narampa:
I need to figure out how to attach pictures - but in the mean time - what I did was remove the down hose that's on the front of the air intake on firewall. And attached a 4 inch flex hose to that area and ran flex hose to pass side of RV and mounted filter behind head light area. The filter I used is a Spectre that I bought at autozone. About the same as a K&N style.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #20

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
narampa:
I need to figure out how to attach pictures - but in the mean time - what I did was remove the down hose that's on the front of the air intake on firewall. And attached a 4 inch flex hose to that area and ran flex hose to pass side of RV and mounted filter behind head light area. The filter I used is a Spectre that I bought at autozone. About the same as a K&N style.
I'm going to do something like that.
I'm sure there are people in your area that could walk you through posting pictures, just ask and I think you will get help.
I can do it but I sure can't teach anybody. I just get by with computers.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Air Filter Intake Mod

Here are picture of my 460 V8 air intake mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake3.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	61821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Intake4.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	61822  

Old 04-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #22

How do you get it out? I just got ours home. Looked at that and just shut the hood.
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #23

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Here are picture of my 460 V8 air intake mod.
Thanks for the picture. I am going to do the same.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know this thread is getting some age on it, but here is my two cents worth.

Like most everyone else, my air filter box is a PITA to remove. All I really wanted to do was check to see how new or dirty it was, having just bought the MH last fall. When I started removing the duct works under the hood, it dawned on me, this will be the side that gets dirty, just look in the hole at the filter....duh!
Mine looked like new! I buttoned it back up and called it good. Maybe 10 minutes tops!

Now, if it had been dirty,....well, go get the tools and a cold beverage.
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:31 AM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
Air Horns on a 460?

Speaking of the air intake system I was wondering if any of the 460 F53 have air horns. I checked mine yesterday by squeezing the two air ducts where they should be and did not feel any air horns. Maybe someone has sawed them off before I bough the F53. I did not take the hoses off to see if there were saw marks or not.

Over on the Ford site seems like everyone over there with the 460 has sawed them off and have gotten more torque and about two more miles per gallons.
Maybe Ford did it differently on the F53 460 than they did on the trucks and did not put the air horns on by using a different part at that point of the system.

Someone over on the Ford site said that Banks said in one of there installation manuals to cut the air horns off.

Does anyone know if Ford ever put the air horns on a 460 F53?
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:37 AM   #26

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
Speaking of the air intake system I was wondering if any of the 460 F53 have air horns. I checked mine yesterday by squeezing the two air ducts where they should be and did not feel any air horns. Maybe someone has sawed them off before I bough the F53. I did not take the hoses off to see if there were saw marks or not.

Over on the Ford site seems like everyone over there with the 460 has sawed them off and have gotten more torque and about two more miles per gallons.
Maybe Ford did it differently on the F53 460 than they did on the trucks and did not put the air horns on by using a different part at that point of the system.

Someone over on the Ford site said that Banks said in one of there installation manuals to cut the air horns off.

Does anyone know if Ford ever put the air horns on a 460 F53?
When you say air horns, I am a bit confused are you talking about on the in let side of the air cleaner? It sounds interesting about the claims being made.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:47 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
No they are after the air cleaner.
I will attach a little PDF I put together on removing them on a truck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 460 removing air horns.pdf (154.8 KB, 272 views)
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
I can't see removing the "air horns" will help air intake - unless you're doing a kazillion rpm. By The Way - if driving in rainy weather, there a chance moisture can be drawn into the air intake - there by plugging the paper air filter. It would be a wise move to carry extra air filter.

Tags
chassis, f53, ford