Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2021, 01:33 PM   #1

97 Winnebago Adventurer tag axle shocks

Hey guys, I have a 97 winne adventurer 37.5 foot on Ford F53 chassis with a tag axle. I am replacing the shocks on the rear, I have the ones for the main axle but am having a hard time figuring out what model number shocks I need for the tag axle. I have read they are smaller than the main axle shocks.
Does anyone know what model shocks for the tag?
I have googled around and most things I find just mention the manufacturer they prefer but no model numbers :(
ShreddinPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2021, 05:57 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I previously owned a 1997 37' Winnebago Adventure with a tag axle on a Ford F53 Chassis. If I remember correctly WGO lengthened the frame and added the tag. My recommendation is to call the Winnebago help line at 800-537-1885 and ask them for any help they can give you on the shocks. Have your serial number handy.

I owned 3 Winnebago Motor Homes over the years and they have been very helpful to me. Good luck with your project.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I previously owned a 1997 37' Winnebago Adventure with a tag axle on a Ford F53 Chassis. If I remember correctly WGO lengthened the frame and added the tag. My recommendation is to call the Winnebago help line at 800-537-1885 and ask them for any help they can give you on the shocks. Have your serial number handy.

I owned 3 Winnebago Motor Homes over the years and they have been very helpful to me. Good luck with your project.

Don
I Will call tomorrow, I called Winnebago parts dot com who usually has my answer and they told me the tag axle was put on by ford, told them I didnt think it was, but she insisted.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:14 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As an after thought if you don't get the info you need from Winnebago. My right rear tag tire had uneven wear pattern. I took it to a HD truck alignment shop that had a great reputation. They aligned my tag and fixed my problem. They seemed to know all about the tag.

If you know of a truck alignment shop in your area it might be worth checking with them to see if they can help you.

Good Luck;

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #5

One of mine was actually broken on my F53. I Googled forever on the numbers of the shock but they no longer existed. I did however find the specifications out there. Using them I was able to find a pretty close match online at Rock Auto.

Once I replaced the shocks and found them to work satisfactorily I discarded the info I had on them though. Not sure that would actually help you as though we have the same chassis we have different coaches and maybe different tag axles too. No big deal for me to look up what I ended up buying if you think it would help.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post

Don
This is all the info they could give me
090436-42-714 winne number
55924 jet company 515-332-3117
Old 05-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
One of mine was actually broken on my F53. I Googled forever on the numbers of the shock but they no longer existed. I did however find the specifications out there. Using them I was able to find a pretty close match online at Rock Auto.

Once I replaced the shocks and found them to work satisfactorily I discarded the info I had on them though. Not sure that would actually help you as though we have the same chassis we have different coaches and maybe different tag axles too. No big deal for me to look up what I ended up buying if you think it would help.
Winnebago was helpful but if you could find that info it would really help.
Old 05-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #8

I have more info.
The shock is a front shock made by Gabriel p# 81322, which of course is also discontinued and they couldnt give me a replacement number. I did find this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/14402204812...cAAOSwgotgiEMr
but one end on that is a threaded rod where in the pic in the winne PDF has an eye (see attached image)
so that wont work, correct? The threaded end doesnt just screw into the eye right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gabriel81322.png
Views:	2
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	328084  
Old 05-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #9

Like I said, pretty sure I discarded some of my info. But here's what I know.
I have 1993 Newmar on an F53 chassis, with a Granning tag axle, where the actual axle is a Dexter. Pretty sure my shocks were also discontinued Gabriels.

My best guess at a substitute are some Monroe Gas Magnum 34919 (at Rock Auto). The specs are: extended length 18.25 and compressed 11.6". An eye in each end for 1/2" diameter mount studs (on the vehicle). The lower eye is 1 5/8" wide and the upper 1 3/8" wide.
The valving is more tricky. Not really inspectable and you don't want a VW shock on a 1 ton truck, or vice versa. But near as I could find this Monroe is a very close match at least in piston size to the original Gabriels.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Like I said, pretty sure I discarded some of my info. But here's what I know.
I have 1993 Newmar on an F53 chassis, with a Granning tag axle, where the actual axle is a Dexter. Pretty sure my shocks were also discontinued Gabriels.

My best guess at a substitute are some Monroe Gas Magnum 34919 (at Rock Auto). The specs are: extended length 18.25 and compressed 11.6". An eye in each end for 1/2" diameter mount studs (on the vehicle). The lower eye is 1 5/8" wide and the upper 1 3/8" wide.
The valving is more tricky. Not really inspectable and you don't want a VW shock on a 1 ton truck, or vice versa. But near as I could find this Monroe is a very close match at least in piston size to the original Gabriels.
Found a couple on amazon so if they dont work I can return It does say they are valved for heavy trucks
Old 05-14-2021, 08:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When I replaced my Rear shocks in 2009 I used Monroe Gas Magnums # 557002. The Tag called for the Gabriel # 81322. Back then both were available.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, tag axle