Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

99 F53 front springs

My 99 Bounder is lean to the left , I want to replace the front springs .
Are the F53 springs same than F450 /550 Superduty ?
thanks
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go to a spring shop and see what they say. I brought mine to a spring shop when I first got her due she was leaning on the passenger side. They added 3/4" spacer to make her level.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #3

going to spring shop tomorrow ......let see
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go with airbags. It will give you a softer ride and can be adjusted to level the coach. Every coach owner that I installed ride rite airbags on their coach, were happy with the results.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I would go with airbags. It will give you a softer ride and can be adjusted to level the coach. Every coach owner that I installed ride rite airbags on their coach, were happy with the results.
yeah , that might be the solution , I have a 93 Bounde with front and rear air bags and it is a really pleasure to drive .
where can I get them?
Old 04-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrench View Post
yeah , that might be the solution , I have a 93 Bounde with front and rear air bags and it is a really pleasure to drive .
where can I get them?
I have been buying online. I still have friends in the business, but find I can get a better buy on the Net. Just enter Ride Rite air bags.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have been buying online. I still have friends in the business, but find I can get a better buy on the Net. Just enter Ride Rite air bags.
I just got the Ride Rite lit .
I also visited a spring shop and they recommended install one extra leaf on each side . they said the factory leaf spring look weak/soft for the rv.
What would be the best option? ad a leaf or air bags ?
About pricing : I paid 313 for the air bag lit and they quoted 400 on labor plus 2 leaf by 240.- 640 total approx.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:42 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwrench View Post
I just got the Ride Rite lit .
I also visited a spring shop and they recommended install one extra leaf on each side . they said the factory leaf spring look weak/soft for the rv.
What would be the best option? ad a leaf or air bags ?
About pricing : I paid 313 for the air bag lit and they quoted 400 on labor plus 2 leaf by 240.- 640 total approx.
I always recommended airbags. The airbags soften the ride. They give you the ability to level the coach.As I have said many times before, they will do nothing for a two foot potholes, but will make a huge difference in pavement seperators, uneven payment, etc. That is why all high end diesel pushers have air suspension.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:54 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Springs

I have a 2000 Bounder on a 1999 Ford chassis. I had the same issue(apparently quite common on this chassis). Traveling through San Antonio , Tx a few years ago, I made an appointment with Acme Springs. They are an old spring shop that can make springs on site. They set up a bottle jack on a scale and jacked up the low corner till level and read the scale. Then they made an extra leaf that would support that weight and added it on. This corrected a 3.5" drop in this corner. I paid between 4 and 5 hundred dollars and am still very happy with the results. The owners(3rd generation) were a pleasure to deal with and very conscientious. No more diving on corners or pulling to the right on the road.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #10

I just received 2 new extra leaf - Im going to try install them soon.
My plan is lift the chassis with the 2 U bolts out to separate the spring pkg from the axle . Do u think this way is going to give enough room between the pkg and axle to put the extra leaf?
Old 06-05-2016, 10:27 AM   #11

the 2 extra leaf installed , big improvement , no more pulls and it hit the bumps
a lot smoother . next, front shock replacement .
thanks all !!

Tags
f53