Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
The fuel pump should be able to pump near 95psi into a blocked head. The Fuel pressure regulator opens the head to maintain 39-40psi with no vacuum on its nipple. With max vacuum pulling with the spring the pressure will drop to about 29-33psi at idle depending on the engine vacuum. This is to maintain the 39psi fuel pressure across the injector under all driving conditions and throttle settings. Then the PCM Computer changes the time duration the injector is open to adjust the fuel mix.

Any air pressure put on the nipple of the fuel pressure regulator from a hand pump will make the fuel pressure go higher than the 39psi.

If the fuel pump can not maintain about 39psi pressure under full load going up a hill at WOT then I would say you have a bad fuel pump.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 AM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Subford, I just found another piece of info that said your pre-start fuel pressure, after the pump primed the rail, should be up around 40 psi. If, after a few "key-on, key-off" movements, you do not have 40 psi then it's a bad/weak pump. Would you agree with that?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sometime but I have never liked that way of turning the key on and off as you have no way of telling how long the fuel lines are and how long the key was in the on position. Also if on a single tank as yours even if the check valve in the tank pump is bad it would make no difference in the running of the engine but mite make it a little harder to start.

I like the pin #6 being shorted to pin #2 or grounded of the self-test plug with the key on. Then you know what you got. Then you need the road test to make sure it is running right.

After it sets for a while I always turn the key on and off about three times to make sure I have fuel at the engine before cranking it.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pin #6 shorted to pin #2 on which connector?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Opps my bo-bo. You have OBD-II so they took your connector away.
Sorry.

You have to use a scanner with the option to leave the fuel pumps on with OBD-II.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #34

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok. My scanner doesn't have that capability. I'll do a test drive tonight. Thank you!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #35

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hooked up my gauges and went for a nice test drive. The intake manifold vacuum performed exactly as it should. The fuel pressure is another story.

- At idle the fuel pressure is a constant 28 psi and the intake vacuum is a constant 20 inHG.

- When driving around residential areas (slow acceleration and speed) the fuel pressure drops to about 22 psi. Even as I slowly gain speed the fuel stays at 22 psi. The intake vacuum is around 15 inHG.

- During more aggressive acceleration from a stop light the intake drops to 10 inHG. The fuel pressure drops to about 20 psi! It will stay there until I reach my speed and back off the throttle. The intake vacuum will rise a bit and the fuel pressure will come back up to approx 25-27 psi. This same scenario played out each time I tested it.

- During WOT (or close to WOT) tests, whether from a dead stop or jamming the throttle while cruising, the intake vacuum dropped to 0 but the fuel pressure was less predictable. Sometimes it shot up to 40 psi before quickly dropping back to 30 and stayed there. When launching off the starting line sometimes the fuel pressure dropped initially but came back up to 30; sometimes it dropped to the low 20's and stayed there.

What do you guys think?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bad fuel pump or low voltage to fuel pump or a stopped up filter.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #37

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Filter is brand new. I'll check the voltage when I get to the pump. Thank you for all your help!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
subford, Elewiz,
Great troubleshooting. I think you'll have it figured out soon.

Enjoyed,
TeJay
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #39

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Planning on dropping the tank on Saturday. I think I've found a way to move the rear jacks out of the way without disconnecting them from the leveling system. I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tags
fuel