Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

Unhappy A/C problems 1999 Thor Hurricane F53 chassis

Hello everyone:

New member here, hoping to learn. Avid DYIer (except motors and transmissions).

I replaced a seized A/C pump on the Ford chassis two years ago and had a certified Ford dealership reload the refrigerant for the system. The A/C worked fine until this summer (2020).

The vents started blowing hot air in the same manner as the previous failure. About 1/4 mile into the maiden trip for this year there was a loud "bang" followed by a screeching sound (possibly due to refrigerant leaking suddenly from the A/C system). There was a distinct odor of skunk emanating from the engine bay.

Otherwise there was no impact on the performance of the coach. A quick scan with my OBDII unit showed "No Codes".

Not wishing to spend another $1200 on a new pump and refill, is it possible to replace the A/C pump with a pulley to accommodate the serpentine belt. I previously ran the motor with the A/C "off" and no refrigerant for several hundred miles with no ill effect until I could get to a Ford dealership to have the system refilled. A mobile truck repair mechanic told me that as long as I did not activate the A/C switch the pulley on the pump would free wheel with no problem. I am leery of the current unit seizing up and making the motor unstartable.

Any suggestions or war stories would be greatly appreciated.

Happy RVing

Russ Reid
RussReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't vouch for this part but it is available.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-259...ley&origin=YMM
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #3

Unless the A/C clutch freezes up, you should be fine.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

Sounds like you blew a line (a hose) and let the freon out. It does smell pretty bad. This affects your compressor (pump) not at all. It has an electric clutch that only engages it when you turn the AC on and other conditions are also met. One of the other conditions should be a pressure switch on a line that senses freon pressure. No pressure sensed will not let it run. So just like winter or any other time you're not using the AC, the compressor is freewheeling. You can drive it as much as you want. Or you can take without functioning dash AC.

When you go to have it fixed it's better to say "refrigerant" or actual type of refrigerant "R134A" than freon. It will make you sound smarter. The term freon is out of fashion for some reason and technical people don't really call it that anymore. I like to though, obviously.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"Refrigerant" is the correct terminology, Freon is a licensed trademark of Dupont. For many years all Refrigerants were commonly known as Freon even if not manufactured by Dupont. Just like the adjustable wrench is commonly known as "Crescent Wrench" which is also a licensed trademark.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Restriction somewhere in the system, probably popped the high pressure pop off valve, check receiver drier, flush system.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1999, chassis, ems, f53, hurricane, problem, problems, thor