RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #1

Adding anti-sway

Good afternoon,

We are thinking about adding from and rear anti-sway bars to our coach, 2014 ITASCA Sunstar 35F.
Please see links below. I was wondering before spending $1200 if they help with the free play in the steering and obviously sway.

Of course the manufacturer says if will but wanted to see if anyone has added simular or the same. We do have a steering stabilizer already.

thank You,

Tim and Sher

https://www.google.com/search?q=Road...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=Road...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You didn't say how many miles, you could have worn suspension parts, steering gearbox on most ford F53 are adjustable IF it has play. Has the coach been weighed on a CAT scale and tire pressures adjusted per tire mfg specs? Has the front end alignment been checked? We need more information so we can help. Sway bars are not a "cure all" the above steps should be addressed first.

avfordguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #3

Good point, 30,000, not weighed, I was under the understanding that the steering box was not adjustable. I am very religious about checking all fluids, and air pressure prior to a voyage, I do all my own upgrades and maintenance as well. I had to replace the fan clutch last spring, boy that was fun...NOT.
When we purchased the coach in 2017, used, and I told the dealer to align it prior to delivery, the steering wheel was not straight, now whether they did it or not, my guess they yanked the steering wheel and to straighten out.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:30 PM   #4

You should already have front and rear anti-sway (stabilizer) bars. The 2013 F53 brochure indicates the chassis is so equipped. Is the shop proposing heavier ones? https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...2013_LoRes.pdf
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #5

Do the CHF. " Cheap Handling Fix "

You can search it out on this site.

Almost free and will improve your original anti sway bars.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

thank you for the brochure, now i am doubting myself, and have been under the coach many times, as soon as it stops snowing I will go out to see.

Is it true the steering box is adjustable, just taking out that play would make me happy. I feel like I'm in a 1930's movie moving the wheel from side to side quite a bit till I fee the steering.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
sway bars

This is something you can throw a lot of money at. Just ask me. I followed all of the suggestions for weighing, tire pressures and alignment with not much help. I then tried Safety Steer but could never get it truly centered. I then added a rear track bar and CHF with some improvement. I then removed the Safety Steer and had improvement on curves. I have now added Hellwig front and rear track bars and can truly say BIG improvement. They are a lot of work to install but worth every penny and the time it takes to install. I will now put the Safety Steer back on and get it centered.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get axle weights and adjust tire pressure to the tire makers weight charts and add 5 pounds. A good starting place is the RV manufacture recommended tire inflation chart that should be in the RV.

Do the cheap handling fix, it is a sticky at the top of this forum. Or do a web search for it.

With the unknown history of the vehicle find a local shop to do an alignment. Doesn't have to be Ford, any shop that does heavy truck alignment. Cost should be in the $200-$275 range. Tell them your problems and concerns.

IMO I doubt that you are feeling a loose steering gear box. The alignment shop should check without prompting.

Then start with the secondary add-on rear sway bar. Roadmaster makes one as well as Hellwig. I went with Hellwig at sdtrucksprings.com

Henderson Alingment/Super Steer makes a duel add-on rear sway bar if your beast is hard to tame. Also a sponsor here. You will then have three rear sway bars. https://www.hendersonslineup.com/
Good people who know their stuff.

Still out of control? Then consider adding a rear trac bar. Ultra RV a good source and a sponsor here. https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/inde...path=5414_5413

You can also make one yourself if you are up to the task, Several here have done that.

I don't like doing a blanket fix all at once. Do one item at a time, see if it improves your issues.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #9

thanks everyone, I read up on the CHF and watched some video's and I think will try that first, also will get an Alignment.

Pretty sure i am talked out of the $1500 in new sway bars, and while I am at it, i will change the bushings to polyurethane, going to see if i can find them on Amazon...
Old 01-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #10

Be sure to let the alignment shop know you're looking for play in the steering while they're working on it. My Chevy Express van based class C had badly worn suspension parts that had to be replaced with the alignment.

2018 - 38,295 miles (153% Earth's circumference ), April 15th - Nov. 15th, 47 states including Alaska, 9 Canadian provinces and 2 Territories.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconn308 View Post
thanks everyone, I read up on the CHF and watched some video's and I think will try that first, also will get an Alignment.

Pretty sure i am talked out of the $1500 in new sway bars, and while I am at it, i will change the bushings to polyurethane, going to see if i can find them on Amazon...
A 2014 should have poly bushings.

Another thing is to check if the rear bushings have loosened off, broken, missing. See the sticky at top of forum ATTENTION!!! Ford F53 Owners Read

Old 01-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #12

Please do not adjust the steering box. They are adjusted correctly from the factory and hardly ever ware, as they as they are flooded in oil. You must remove the steering box to adjust correctly and need a spring scale and torque wrench to adjust correctly. If adjusted to tight, you will cause premature ware.

Make sure the toe-in is set correctly and do the cheap handling fix. Set the toe-in to maximum positive specification. If still unhappy install a panhard bar.

Richard
Old 01-19-2020, 04:10 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconn308 View Post

The Rear Roadmaster Sway bar is in addition to the already installed one. It goes in front of the axel and yes you can feel a difference.
Things you really need to do is get your unit weighed. Since you already have it loaded then empty weight is not going to happen, that is unless you feel like taking every thing out and getting it done right. You may won't to do that any way because you will most likely find all of those things you never use in the storages and can leave them out to balance the load some.
Also do you travel with the potable water tank full? If not, then try it because you need the ballast to compress the leaf springs and help with the ride.
Another thing to do is get under there and check all of the bolts in the sway bars, there has been a rash of bolts coming out and sway bars actually not being connected on the ends. I know it happened to me.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:05 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep in mind the anti-sway bars (SB) stabilizer bars) are not designed to control lateral movement but SWAY. Because the RV does not sway as much you feel like the back and forth wandering is better and it probably is to some extent.

Two other items will reduce the lateral movement more significantly: A rear track bar (TB). You already have a front TB. That ties the frame and leaf spring looseness together. A front steering stabilizer shock with coil spring. The shock will dampen sudden wind gusts while the spring keeps the steering wheel centered. There are basically two kinds. Some have an internal spring and the RSSA has an external spring. We have the RSSA by Road Master and it was easy to center and completed the final solution for wind gusts. 98% of the driving time is very relaxed even on normal windy days. Heavy windy days one has to be alert but it's still relaxed.

Another change would be better shocks. Shocks by their very design to dampen movement will help with sway and lateral movement. When the RV moves laterally you adjust by turning the steering wheel to center the RV. Depending how much lateral movement occurs and how you control it may also cause some sway which is then controlled/reduced by the shocks.

Another way of looking at it is this. A wind gust rocks the RV at he top. The shocks will help dampen that. Some laterally or side to side movement is also created by that same wind gust. Having all the items:good shocks, TB and SB front and rear all work together. IMHO Adding a shock/spring steering stabilizer adds the final icing on the handling cake!!!