Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2016, 12:41 PM   #1

Am I the only one that has changed their 19.5's to 22.5's

Seem like it ... hard to keep telling everyone how nice it is with out others to back it up
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2016, 12:53 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
how do you change 19.5 to 22.5 my are 8 lug
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
how do you change 19.5 to 22.5 my are 8 lug
mine were on a f53 ford chassis ,I had a custom set of aluminum wheels made for the 10 lug
Old 02-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe in mid 2005 run National changed from 8 lug to 10 lug. The 10 lug should have the 3 valve engine. Mine has the older engine with 8 lug wheels. This is Sea Breeze. Don't know about other models.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
Seem like it ... hard to keep telling everyone how nice it is with out others to back it up
Please excuse my ignorance but why would you change from 19.5 to 22.5? Seems like an expensive change for what kind of improvement?
Rider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:20 PM   #6

Insofar as the 19.5 tires on our coach work just fine for us, can see spending the extra $$$$ for 22.5 tires and aluminum wheels.

But then one must do whatever they feel works best in their situation.

Best of luck & safe travels........

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't know what it cost to have a custom set of aluminum wheels?? My guess is it's expensive unless you know somebody. Plus the cost of 6 new 22.5" tires but I'm guessing the total cost is why others would opt not to do it.

Maybe you sold your 19.5" tires/rims?? Based on a few posts here on the forums it seems RV rims can sometimes be difficult to get. Selling those would help with the total cost.

Don't get me wrong. I do understand the rational behind why you did it but a MOD costing upwards of $5,000 to $10,000 (that's just a wild guess) is probably not in the budget of most folks.

Some of us will spend $50 to build a track bar instead of $600 for a commercial one. New shocks are not to bad at about $500-600. Of course the CHF is much better at $0.

As far as the harsh ride with the CHF I'm thinking that the jury is still out on that. I'm still not convinced yet.

Very soon (when it warms up a bit and my back gets healed) I'll have adjustable plates front and rear for the CHF and I'll let you know for sure.

Even if it is a bit harsher I won't have to go all the way with the CHF but somewhere in between full CHF and stock so I can get some of the best of both worlds. Currently the front is built with 4 positions for each side. I can take those plates off and add two holes for each side. When it's completely done I'll probably will 6 adjustment positions for each corner. That's when the fine tuning will begin.

Some may ask WHY so many adjustment position?? Every coach is different because of all the weight and length variables involved. One size does not fit all and it can't. Not if you want a custom fit and that's what I'm striving for.

We once ordered a TT and I asked if they could use 16" rims/tires (instead of the 14" ones) plus an 8,000 lb axle (instead of 6,000#) and I was told there wasn't enough room. That wasn't true because later I checked. They just didn't want to go through the trouble during the assembly process.

TeJay
Old 02-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
I believe in mid 2005 run National changed from 8 lug to 10 lug. The 10 lug should have the 3 valve engine. Mine has the older engine with 8 lug wheels. This is Sea Breeze. Don't know about other models.
Ten lug 19.5" wheels are standard on chassis built at least after 2011. The 22.5" wheels have 8 lugs.

As mentioned earlier switching isn't something that most RVers are interested given the cost. Tires run between $400.00 and $700.00 each plus installation. Custom wheels will add another $3,500.00 or more. Shelling out at least $6,500.00 for a vehicle that gets driven on average less 10,000 miles a year doesn't seem like a good investment.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:05 AM   #9

I actually did it for more than one reason...when towing,.. with the 5 speed trans... you couldn't hold the trans in 4th,.. so going up a 6% grade..4th was too tall and 3rd was too low...I needed something to split the gear.... so what I did was go to gear vender... that gave me a 3 gear overdrive.. now instead of over reving..3rd....@55 mph... I was able to go up the hill in over a back of the throttle..that up grade cost me 2 days in san diego, and about 5k all said and done....maybe closer to 6k....

so when I traded that one in....bye bye trans....

so on the next one,.. I decided to go the route of changing the gear ratio with tire size...I had the 30 ft allegro that came with the 22.5s... it rode like a dream compaired to the 19.5s.... so I thought that I would just get wheels for one of those chassis...wrong bolt pattern....

I have a buddy that is a dealer for American force... so he had a custom set made..10 lug 22.5's

by putting the 22.5's it made the trans work like the new 6 speed.// I no longer had to scream up hills... and I could just lock it in to 3rd and no more trans hunting for gears...where as before,.. if I locked the trans in 3rd..5000 rpms at 55 ......

after changing the tires...it went down the rode just like the new 6 speed

I kept the wheels and tires, but they wouldn't fit the new body winnabago...

I had them on my fr3 and all three of my 26 he's....
Old 02-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
I'm planning on upgrading my wheels later this year from 19.5's to 22.5's but I'll be trading my motorhome in on a new one.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdzcar View Post
I'm planning on upgrading my wheels later this year from 19.5's to 22.5's but I'll be trading my motorhome in on a new one.
there's no option for the 22.5s on a 26'r so all that was out there was 19.5s and a ford 5 speed that didn't work right..

the perfect mh for me would be a 26'r 190 wb....400 hp fred with 22.5 wheels of corse
Old 02-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like lots of money to get up a mountain at a certain speed. For me I just slow down and use the 3-5 car rule and enjoy the scenery. Just not worth saving that extra 10-15 minutes.
tzensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I actually did it for more than one reason...when towing,.. with the 5 speed trans... you couldn't hold the trans in 4th,.. so going up a 6% grade..4th was too tall and 3rd was too low...I needed something to split the gear.... so what I did was go to gear vender... that gave me a 3 gear overdrive.. now instead of over reving..3rd....@55 mph... I was able to go up the hill in over a back of the throttle..that up grade cost me 2 days in san diego, and about 5k all said and done....maybe closer to 6k....

so when I traded that one in....bye bye trans....

so on the next one,.. I decided to go the route of changing the gear ratio with tire size...I had the 30 ft allegro that came with the 22.5s... it rode like a dream compaired to the 19.5s.... so I thought that I would just get wheels for one of those chassis...wrong bolt pattern....

I have a buddy that is a dealer for American force... so he had a custom set made..10 lug 22.5's

by putting the 22.5's it made the trans work like the new 6 speed.// I no longer had to scream up hills... and I could just lock it in to 3rd and no more trans hunting for gears...where as before,.. if I locked the trans in 3rd..5000 rpms at 55 ......

after changing the tires...it went down the rode just like the new 6 speed

I kept the wheels and tires, but they wouldn't fit the new body winnabago...

I had them on my fr3 and all three of my 26 he's....
I have 19.5 but to fix the trans issue in the hills I paid $400 for the 5 star tuning and it fix the issue, a lot cheaper and I can still carry a spare tire unlike the 22.5 folks..
jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackreno View Post
I have 19.5 but to fix the trans issue in the hills I paid $400 for the 5 star tuning and it fix the issue, a lot cheaper and I can still carry a spare tire unlike the 22.5 folks..
to me not every thing is about cheep... or getting there first or last,...

5 star didn't fix the problem of being able to lock in 4th.... the motor won't pull 4th and down shift to 3rd... over reving the engine and trans.... the 5sp motors over rev,,, ford cut them back to 4200 for 2016

the fact is if you drop to 3rd you will over rev the motor and trans and if you let it shift to 4th it won't pull the gear... so you either run 50mph at 5200 rpms in 3rd ,... or hold it in 3rd and slow down to 40 mph...

that's one of the things that makes the 6 speed so much better than the 5 and way over due