Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #29
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Skuterdude on EBay now has bushings for the new V8 Ford F53 chassis. He doesn't have a listing on eBay yet, so you'll need to contact him directly.

Richard
That is good to know! Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
We need to spread the word that the new Ford chassis bushings are available through Skuterdude. You can order them from Ford and wait or get them from the Dude and you'll be in good working order.

No I do not have a financial interest in what the Dude makes. I'm mostly concerned that folks have the best needed quality and reasonably replacement parts available. If Ford can't provide them then somebody else should or will. That's the free capitalist system we like and support/right????
Old 11-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #31

I talked to Skuder some time back when I replaced my bushings and the broken bracket. Nice guy to talk to, very friendly. Told me, I will get them sent to you today. Great guy.

PS> Give him your business. He is worthy of it.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:54 PM   #32

Well look at what I got Fingers crossed that the weather isn't as terrible as the forecast so I can get them installed to give them a test.

Thanks Eric (Skuterdude)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bushing.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	350912  
Old 12-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #33

Well, did you get them installed? Did it change the ride?
Your profile says your in or from Seattle. Suppose to get pretty windy tonight. Won't take too long to do it. Update us when you can. Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 12:54 PM   #34

DYI fix for missing shackle and bolts

Yes, I was able to replace the missing shackle and bolts for my left rear sway bar myself. I believe I was lucky to get a good partsman at Gator Ford who had in stock the shackle, bolts, and nuts. Get the nuts with a flange and nylon insert that you do not need to put a wrench on. The computer did not show the correct shackle and nuts for the bolt. But he was able to find the part on another chassis.
I bought a 1/2 socket set and zero to 150 ib torque wrench. On level ground, and levelers up, I was able crawl under and replace the shackle. I torqued the bolts to 66 ftlb. I was surprised there was enough room to swing the torque wrench and it was absolutely needed othewise I would not have gotten the bolts tight enough. It is ok after driving 500 miles. Yes it makes a noticeable difference in sway. With passing big trucks, I drive at 59 mph, I do not get as much sway.
Boydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:04 PM   #35
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydoo
I bought a 1/2 socket set and zero to 150 ib torque wrench. On level ground, and levelers up, I was able crawl under and replace the shackle. I torqued the bolts to 66 ftlb. I was surprised there was enough room to swing the torque wrench and it was absolutely needed otherwise I would not have gotten the bolts tight enough. It is ok after driving 500 miles.
Did Ford say the torque was 66 ft lbs for the V8 chassis? With the larger bolts on the new 2" sway bar I was expecting the torque to be higher.

Ray
Old 12-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
Well, did you get them installed? Did it change the ride?
Your profile says your in or from Seattle. Suppose to get pretty windy tonight. Won't take too long to do it. Update us when you can. Thank you.
No sorry not yet... hopefully this week. Tried to get out there today but then the sky opened up and put an end to that.

I've been driving the last 3k miles on my temporary dirt bike tube and zip tie repair, so it will be noticeable, but I probably can't judge if its different front stock - its just been too long
Old 12-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
I know I've related this story before but it's still good to hear good results. A friend who did live in FL moved to NW AR and is living for now in a CG about 12 miles from us. He contacted me about noises he was having under his RV. Noises that he was certain were coming from loose link bolts. Since neither I nor he knew the exact history of his bushings I suggested he just do himself a favor and replace front and rear bushing from Eric.

He and his DW were planning a trip I think west of AR and were concerned. He reported back to me that the RV has never been as quiet and the ride never as pleasant. There's never a guarantee with MODs and improvements that one will always have a positive outcome but nothing beats real world experiences either.

Over these last 10 + years the CHF has achieved positive results better than 95% of the time. Don't forget the use of blue lock tight on all fasteners regardless of the said torque specs. Always upgrade your bushings to polyurethane especially if you don't know the history. Always use the correct lubricant on bushings.

After 2-3 years of use I inspected our rear bushings and they were DRY. In addition the stock Ford bushings were torn and rubbing some rubber off which stuck to the SB. That had to have increased the resistance to movement which couldn't have been good for the anti-sway system.

IMHO FORD does not really care or know much about the anti-sway system. Why would I make such a broad statement? They do not have a good track record beginning with the first F-53 chassis in 1999 all the way up to their newest and greatest upgrade to the system in 2020 or 2021. The problems they have had on the early chassis with rear bushings and brackets failing has migrated onto the newest chassis. The only improvement that can be easily seen is parts are failing as soon as 1,500 to 2,000 miles. At least if you're close to a dealer that will work on your RV it will be fixed under warranty. That was not the case with the earlier chassis.
Old 12-13-2021, 09:15 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I know I've related this story before but it's still good to hear good results. A friend who did live in FL moved to NW AR and is living for now in a CG about 12 miles from us. He contacted me about noises he was having under his RV. Noises that he was certain were coming from loose link bolts. Since neither I nor he knew the exact history of his bushings I suggested he just do himself a favor and replace front and rear bushing from Eric.

He and his DW were planning a trip I think west of AR and were concerned. He reported back to me that the RV has never been as quiet and the ride never as pleasant. There's never a guarantee with MODs and improvements that one will always have a positive outcome but nothing beats real world experiences either.

Over these last 10 + years the CHF has achieved positive results better than 95% of the time. Don't forget the use of blue lock tight on all fasteners regardless of the said torque specs. Always upgrade your bushings to polyurethane especially if you don't know the history. Always use the correct lubricant on bushings.

After 2-3 years of use I inspected our rear bushings and they were DRY. In addition the stock Ford bushings were torn and rubbing some rubber off which stuck to the SB. That had to have increased the resistance to movement which couldn't have been good for the anti-sway system.

IMHO FORD does not really care or know much about the anti-sway system. Why would I make such a broad statement? They do not have a good track record beginning with the first F-53 chassis in 1999 all the way up to their newest and greatest upgrade to the system in 2020 or 2021. The problems they have had on the early chassis with rear bushings and brackets failing has migrated onto the newest chassis. The only improvement that can be easily seen is parts are failing as soon as 1,500 to 2,000 miles. At least if you're close to a dealer that will work on your RV it will be fixed under warranty. That was not the case with the earlier chassis.
TeJay,

The first F53 was introduced in 1988 not 1999.

Richard
Old 12-13-2021, 05:51 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard,

How many of those first F-53 chassis built in 1988 were specifically used for larger gas motor homes?? We were told when we bought our first F-53 in 1999 the dealer said it was their first on the F-53 chassis and it was 34' long. We had a 23' Dodge with a 360 engine in about 1976 or 77. Not sure when Dodge stopped making the RV chassis or when GMC stopped their run with a gas chassis . Maybe Ford was building RV's at that time on their F-53 chassis but we were still driving the 1999 and just didn't get into much of what was happening. We do know Dodge and GMC stopped early!!

Regardless of when Ford started the F-53 chassis they still have a bad track record over the last 20 + years with their sway control system.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:53 AM   #40

Quote:
Not sure when Dodge stopped making the RV chassis or when GMC stopped their run with a gas chassis.
Dodge stopped making its motorhome and large truck chassis in 1979 due to a combination of new emission requirements and a deal with the government during a recession. The big block 440 was done. That’s when Lee Iacocca and the K car saved Chrysler from bankruptcy.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
77Travco,

Many thanks for the info about when Dodge stopped making the RV chassis. Yep that was a time when lots of stuff was changing. My teaching career began in 1971 and almost completely changed when we hit 1980. And it never stopped changing even until and after my retirement in 2006.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #42

Quote:
Richard,

How many of those first F-53 chassis built in 1988 were specifically used for larger gas motor homes?? We were told when we bought our first F-53 in 1999 the dealer said it was their first on the F-53 chassis and it was 34' long. We had a 23' Dodge with a 360 engine in about 1976 or 77. Not sure when Dodge stopped making the RV chassis or when GMC stopped their run with a gas chassis . Maybe Ford was building RV's at that time on their F-53 chassis but we were still driving the 1999 and just didn't get into much of what was happening. We do know Dodge and GMC stopped early!!

Regardless of when Ford started the F-53 chassis they still have a bad track record over the last 20 + years with their sway control system.
I'm surprised that you didn't know about the 1988-1997 F53s with 460. Your dealer misinformed you. If a salesman's lips are moving...............
All those chassis were built in Mexico for RV use only. No 1998 Ford F53 chassis. Back in that era, Fleetwood built 38' & 40' tag axle Bounders. So that chassis has see it all.
Actually Ford has had a bad track record for their sway bar material since 1988.
Check Erick's eBay site, he lists the dates for his bushings. Eric's first bushings were for 1988-1997 F53s.

Richard

Tags
problem, rear, sway bar