Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Does anybody know if the original U-bolts are long enough? How thick are the plates that need to be added?
The plates on the 1139-144 kit I have are 1/2" thick.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #16
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It doesn't look (from the picture) like there are any U-bolts included with the Roadmaster.

Does anybody know if the original U-bolts are long enough? How thick are the plates that need to be added?!

It looks like my U-bolts have about a half inch of excess thread left.

It appears the Helwig kit will not fit the "large axle" F-53 like I have. It also specifically says the it will not fit the 24K chassis. Since the 26K chassis is essentially identical to the 24K I assume that means it won't work on a 26K chassis either. On top of that the Helwig is $200 more than the Roadmaster bar so even if I have to buy a $100 set of U-bolts I'm still $100 ahead.

Am I missing something here?
Nope. I tossed the Hellwig out there in case they have one that fits yours. Like I said I didn't see one listed. I would still call. https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/?gcli...SAAEgI-nfD_BwE

This is about the third time I have recommended Hellwig and have been told the Roadmaster is cheaper. It was several hundred more with out the bolts when I bought.

I think this fits yours if it is a better price than what you are looking at. https://www.brazelsrv.com/1139-149-R...scription=true Note the price of the bolts. A decent spring shop could likely make your bolts if you need them.

I would call and verify with Roadmaster if your kit includes the bolts. https://roadmasterinc.com/contact.php
Old 12-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #17
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on your needs SuperSteer also makes a double rear sway bar. I almost wish I would have gone with it when I installed my rear bar. I did talk to them about it when they did my evaluation.
https://supersteerparts.com/products...it-24-26k.html

It was my understanding that they developed this kit in conjunction with Roadmaster.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:35 PM   #18
NXR

[QUOTE=hohenwald48;5574496]It doesn't look (from the picture) like there are any U-bolts included with the Roadmaster.

Does anybody know if the original U-bolts are long enough? How thick are the plates that need to be added?!

It looks like my U-bolts have about a half inch of excess thread left.]/QUOTE]

Measure them. They don't need a lot of thread and the ones on my 2019 22,000 GVWR chassis were long enough. Roadmaster does sell longer ones and the truck shop that installed mine said they could supply longer u-bolts if needed a lot cheaper.

Ray
Old 12-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
Depending on your needs SuperSteer also makes a double rear sway bar. I almost wish I would have gone with it when I installed my rear bar. I did talk to them about it when they did my evaluation.
https://supersteerparts.com/products...it-24-26k.html

It was my understanding that they developed this kit in conjunction with Roadmaster.
That kit would definitely require extended U-bolts as it requires the addition of (2) flat plates under the U-bolts. It those are each 1/2" thick that would require at least 1" longer U-bolts.

It's interesting that the SuperSteer kit is $1925 yet the sum of the (2) Roadmaster kits (1139-144 and 1139-149) is only $1600. I don't see what SuperSteer adds to justify the additional $325.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I think this fits yours if it is a better price than what you are looking at. https://www.brazelsrv.com/1139-149-R...scription=true Note the price of the bolts. A decent spring shop could likely make your bolts if you need them. https://roadmasterinc.com/contact.php
This same kit, 1139-149, is $695 on Amazon with free shipping. I don't know what brazelsrv.com gets for shipping.

Extended U-bolts can be sourced for a whole lot less then $180.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
The plates on the 1139-144 kit I have are 1/2" thick.
Thanks. That helps.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:07 AM   #22

Quote:
That kit would definitely require extended U-bolts as it requires the addition of (2) flat plates under the U-bolts. It those are each 1/2" thick that would require at least 1" longer U-bolts.

It's interesting that the SuperSteer kit is $1925 yet the sum of the (2) Roadmaster kits (1139-144 and 1139-149) is only $1600. I don't see what SuperSteer adds to justify the additional $325.
Look like it comes with a new two headed plate that replaces the two individual plates. And some new drop links, maybe to put the rear bar kit in the front? They don't have unique instructions for the double kit online, only guessing.

Which kit are you looking at? The 144 with the 1.75" bar? Or the 149 with the 1.625" bar? The 1.75 is about 35% stiffer.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
Which kit are you looking at? The 144 with the 1.75" bar? Or the 149 with the 1.625" bar? The 1.75 is about 35% stiffer.
I've been looking at the 149 kit. I guess that's the 1.625 bar. I suppose the 1.75 would likely be better but I'm thinking the 1.625 will be good enough and it's $200 less.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:15 AM   #24

OK, I bought and installed the Roadmaster 1139-149 kit on my 2018 26K Newmar. Cost $690 from Amazon. Haven't driven it yet so I can't report on handling improvement but based on my experience with CHF on other motorhomes I think it should make a significant difference. I'll report when I get a chance to drive it.

The install wasn't technically difficult but was a bit strenuous and took the better part of the day. All the parts fit as they should. The bolts for the frame brackets are difficult to get tools on and the axle U-bolt nuts were pretty hard to break free and remove. The U-bolt nuts were too close to the ground for me to get an impact wrench on them so I had to use a ratchet. You have to wrench them all the way off. They never got lose enough to turn by hand. The mounting plates are heavy and it was a little difficult to get the U-bolts thru while holding everything together. A lot of lying on your back swinging heavy tools and handling heavy parts. Might be easier for someone less than my 72 years.

I still haven't laid my hands on a torque wrench that can go to 300 lbs but will do the final torque when I find a friend with the proper wrench. I'm not going to buy one just for 8 nuts. I may just crank them down to 250 (I have that wrench) and call it good enough.

Three points to ponder:

Everything I read online says not to reuse U-bolts like I did. Of course that warning comes mostly from folks who sell U-bolts. Any thoughts on here?

The stock 3/4" diameter U-bolts were just barely long enough for me to catch 3/4" of thread which is the minimum required for full holding power. 1" longer bolts would be nice. Not sure if they would be $200 worth of nice.

It looks to me like the anti sway bar is awfully close to the pumpkin. Around 7/8" clearance when sitting on level ground. I wonder if there's a chance the bar could make contact with the pumpkin during extreme flexing. The bar is bent in the middle for increased clearance but the pumpkin is offset toward the driver side on my axle so the bend doesn't help much. I may call Roadmaster and see what they say.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:40 PM   #25
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a FTer I don't really have any place to install this Roadmaster Swaybar so I’m having a shop do it for me later this month. I too bought mine from Amazon. Any update on your install or further thoughts on the pumpkin clearance? Have you driven it yet? I have a 40ft CS have always thought it handled pretty well though I do slow down from my normal 60ish to 55ish when the wind kicks. Thanks In a advance
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #26
BnB

Ford Super Duty Owner
Little more, I checked my U-Bolts and I have about a 1/2 inch threads below the nut soooo, I looked around at the different web sites for the longer U-bolts. I ended up talking w/ Roadmaster and they were the cheapest, free shipping and no sales tax. Sweet CS gal too.
BnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:31 AM   #27

BnB,
Timely questions. I just happen to be about 1200 miles into my first 2000 mile trip after installing the Roadmaster anti-sway bar. It has definitely been a successful addition and was well worth the investment.

The reduction is rocking/swaying has been significant. I've been keeping an eye on the pumpkin clearance concern and so far that has not been a problem. I previously did the rear CHF and the original equipment anti-sway bar did contact the pumpkin so I removed the CHF and did the Roadmaster bar.

I did my installation in an RV park with no problems at all. I parked the toad to block the view and nobody ever even noticed what I was up to. You do need to be sitting level off the jacks and I did have to raise the rear with the levelling jacks to access a couple of the mounting bolts. Pretty simple install except for torqueing the U-bolts.

I too had about 1/2" clearance below the existing U-bolt nut and since the plate is 1/2" thick I decided I didn't need the longer U-bolts. My factory U-bolts are 3/4" diameter and I had just enough to get the nuts a little over 3/4" of threads on the factory U-bolts. I ended up with a thread or 2 below each nut.

Good luck with your upgrade and I'm confident you will be happy with the results.

Tags
sway bar