Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 07:35 PM   #1

Anyone replace V-10 with 6.7 diesel/10 speed trans?

As my coach is climbing in miles was wondering if anyone has just swapped the entire engine & trans with a current Ford 6.7 diesel & the 10 speed trans?

Being near an enormous salvage yard near I-95 where they are scraping totaled rigs off the interstate everyday. It seems the 6.7's and 10 speed trans are stacking up like cord wood.

This would be a real nice combo for an F53.

Fab up engine mounts
Fab up trans mount
Then drive shaft length made.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 08:37 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The trick is in all the electronic controls, especial for the trans. To date, I’ve not seen anyone figure out how to make the 10 speed work without replacing the full electronics package. Everything, and I mean down to the power seat and window electronics needs changed over from the donor truck. It’s a fully integrated system.
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:13 PM   #3

It would probably run In 6th or 7th gear at highway speeds , with the frontal wind resistance.
So you change the rear differential gear ratio and fix that , but it could be fun.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:54 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll need a complete and fully functional donor vehicle and not just the engine/trans to make it work to include the entire wiring harness, processors, instrument cluster, fuse panels, ignition with coded keys and steering wheel just as a starting point. You'll also need the the cooling system sandwich to include the CAC, the entire fuel system to include the additional filters and the high pressure fuel pump that are necessary for diesel direct injection. Probably a custom flash for the ECU just to shut off all the none power train functions that are missing and throwing codes. And the list goes on.

Quite a bit more then fabing engine mounts and changing drive shaft lengths. Might be easier to just buy a Freightliner MC chassis and swap the house. Don't forget you'll need to replace the generator also or find a solution for providing gasoline for it's use.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:30 AM   #5

The engine and tranny mounts are the easy part. You will have to fab up an exhaust system , rad and intercooler mounts as well. Then you have to deal with all the electronics for the engine and tranny. It would be a ton of work , but I would not recommend this swap for the first timer.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:43 PM   #6

very interesting thanks guys.

Anyone come up with a complete trace list for all components from the donor truck?

So I could take that to my

Truck shop
Welder/fab

And get some install number$

Interesting puzzle to take apart and put back together.

Probably best place to start would be an ECU study, to figure out how to kill all non essentials off.
Old 01-18-2022, 07:48 PM   #7

Do a search on youtube and watch some of the engine swap projects. Most of them are pretty lengthy and extremely complicated.
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 08:09 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
very interesting thanks guys.

Anyone come up with a complete trace list for all components from the donor truck?

So I could take that to my

Truck shop
Welder/fab

And get some install number$

Interesting puzzle to take apart and put back together.
List is everything from the donor truck. Literally. All of the dash, including attached hardware/switches, all wiring connected to it and all components at the other end of those wire harnesses and their respective harnesses. All engine components, mounts, and everything from the core support back to the firewall, including the core support as itís probably different. The trans and all wiring, sensors, and connections associated with the trans. You could probably get away with not swapping the ABS system out, but Iíd have it just in case. All parts and wiring associated with the steering wheel and whatever functions it has built into it. Probably the accelerator pedal and all wiring associated with that along with any sensors or modules on the other end of that wiring.

There are folks out there that have been successful at making the 6.7ís run on less than factory systems, but it get harder each model year with new bells and whistles. Have not seen a successful 10 speed. I havenít even seen anyone do a 10 speed with all the electronics that itís attached to because it needs other input from other systems.

Having done a conversion in my Excursion from a 2003 6.0 Powerstroke to a 1994 12V Cummins and manual trans, these swaps are time consuming and will burn up your brain if you let them. And that one is probably the easiest there is. Itís also expensive. The one lesson I learned is: thereís only one reason to do any swap, and thatís because you just want to.

Having said all that, please donít let me discourage you. I LOVE this type of stuff and if I had deeper pockets and more time, my Excursion would have a 6.7 and a 10 speed in itÖ..eventually. I do love my old 12 valve and shifting gears.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:33 PM   #9

Thanks Keith

Brings to mind going back to my neighbors 2019 F750, it is close to the same weight. A strip model vinal floors roll up windows,,, but

6.7 with 10 speed

No parking paw in the column, just emergency brake on floor & reverse to 123 D on the column.

Perhaps the most striped down version would be the easiest to copy/fool/spoof.

And nearly the same weight.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:17 PM   #10

Good friend at Dunns towing Franconia Pa

2020 custom F750 30,000 lb aired up with tag and air brakes.

6.7 10 speed

Frame rails were some insane PSI,, 160 psi?? just don't remember.

Old 01-18-2022, 10:29 PM   #11

Tiffin red
Dodge Red

It is time for the Ford Red

6.7 10 speed trans in the F53 Red

Lowers costs, expansions scale.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trx430ex View Post
Thanks Keith

Brings to mind going back to my neighbors 2019 F750, it is close to the same weight. A strip model vinal floors roll up windows,,, but

6.7 with 10 speed

No parking paw in the column, just emergency brake on floor & reverse to 123 D on the column.

Perhaps the most striped down version would be the easiest to copy/fool/spoof.

And nearly the same weight.
Now if you could find something like that cheap, I think that would certainly cut down on the number of systems you'd have to move over and make the swap easier for sure!

Tags
ace, diesel, replace