Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 11:52 PM   #477
EJG

How much longer than the front ones did you extend the rears?
EJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #478

Ford Super Duty Owner
EJG,

I have never swapped front and rear links. WHY? When the CHF is employed on the rear the geometry is different. The link attaching & pivot points are in different locations when compared to the front. The angles change very little so extending the links is not usually necessary. Why add work to a MOD if it isn't necessary?

There are some situations when doing the CHF on the rear causes interference with the SB and the differential (DF). For what ever reason Ford has the SB go over the DF and sometimes it goes under the DF. Ford also locates the E-brake housing just in front of the DF and sometimes it right behind the automatic transmission way up in front of the drive shaft. These changes can cause interference but it seldom occurs.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:43 PM   #479
EJG

I am going to install an additional rear sway bar and thinking of replacing the front one
Ready to order

Anyone have Any feedback on Roadmaster vs Helwig?
Old 08-04-2020, 11:02 PM   #480
EJG

I did The front CHF, moving the links to the inner holes, Just before we took a 5 week 3500 mile trip in June and July and it did make a very noticeable improvement

Now I’m ready to invest in and To take it to the next level adding a steering stabilizer and an additional upgraded bar to the rear
Old 08-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #481

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJG View Post
I am going to install an additional rear sway bar and thinking of replacing the front one
Ready to order

I installed the Roadmaster 1-3/4" auxiliary anti-sway bar several years ago. Really happy with it, vertically eliminated the rear sway. Install wasn't very difficult.
https://www.etrailer.com/Anti-Sway-B...ID=19994015677
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:28 AM   #482
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ready to order

The Hellwig kit includes the replacement U-Bolts upfront and the RM is extra charge. The only difference I found was the mounting bracket and the downlink design. Same steel and size

When I did mine the RM was more $$$, now they are closer to the same.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/ I have used them several times. Used to be that if you called them with questions they would give $50 discount if you ordered then.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:25 PM   #483

Another CHF participant

My coach handled pretty well right off the showroom floor but after reading almost this entire thread, I decided to do the CHF anyway. The rear posed the greatest challenge because of the Z brackets and their serrated bolts. The links could not be repositioned to the aft sway bar hole because of the serrations on the bolt shaft. After a quick consultation with TeJay, a few whacks with a small sledge hammer popped them right out. Polyurethane lube was applied to the front and rear sway bar bushings and boy do they move easier now. Many thanks to the OP, thread participants and especially TeJay for his plate design and patient advice. Can't wait to drive it and feel the difference.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:13 AM   #484

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Ready to order

I replaced my sway bars immediately after buying my coach with the roadmaster SB and added the roadmaster steering stabilizer. I have no complaints on either. So I have the bigger front SB and two SB in rear. (Stock stays in place and roadmaster is added on rear, front is complete replaced). My coach is 2016 model, so almost 5 years with these SB’s
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:49 PM   #485

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't know if this has come up. According to what I've read in the past. Large U-Bolts used to hold suspensions together should not be reused. Don't know if it's true. Maybe somebody can chime in on that.

That's not the same as head bolts from earlier engines. We should all know what has happened with the torque to yield bolts currently used for a more precise torque. That is needed to hold the aluminum engines together.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:16 AM   #486

94 F53 Chassis upgrades

We have recently purchased a 94 Rexhall Aerbus 30 foot on a 94 F53 Chassis with a 460 engine. Other than some suspension issues it's in like new condition.

The ride home was heart in the throat type of ride. Sway bar bushings, steering damper and front shocks were shot.

I just replaced all the Sway bar bushings.

Replaced stock steering damper with a Monroe steering damper

Replaced all 4 stock shocks with Monroe 557001 in the front and Monroe 557002 in the rear.

Took it for a ride and the handling was much better, but it's still got a lot of tail wag and sway when a truck passes and forget about it in the wind even with the air bags at about 60lbs.

So my question is, does anyone know of any upgrades for a 94 F53 like a front and rear Trac bar and sumo springs?

I've found some from Super steer and a few other places, but they only make them to fit 2006 and newer.

Is this something I'm going to have to fabricate my self at my friends fab shop? I would rather not do that if I don't have to.
94aerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:28 AM   #487

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Tail wag is fixed with a rear track bar,
Old 09-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #488

Ford Super Duty Owner
94aerbus,

What George said above is correct. Adding a front and rear track bar (TB) will add a great degree of driving control.

you can't do the CHF on that early of a Ford chassis so that's out. You've already changed the shocks and bushings as well. I'm also thinking you have 16" tires.

We have some friends who were on the verge of selling their RV because it handled so badly. We built him a rear TB and when he drove to our next outing he told everybody he was driving a NEW RV. The handling improved way more than he thought it was going to.

Here's MHO on Sumo Springs. They will add a lot of sway control but may add some ride harshness. They are not adjustable. However because your RV is a lot older than most and you said you have air bags your springs may be sagging due to age. Air bags will help with that by adding some spring rate to those sagging leaf springs.

You also said you added a steering dampener. That was a good move but a better move would been to add a steering stabilizer shock with a large coil spring to assist in keeping the steering wheel (SW) centered. Yes the shock dampens sudden steering wheel movement but that spring keeps the SW centered. That's a really great addition IMHO!!

I have done several DIY rear TB's. I'm not at all familiar with your chassis. If you wanted to send me some pics of the front and rear of the rear differential used on that chassis maybe I can advise you on what I'd recommend. TB are not that difficult to make. My first one cost me about $50 which is a lot less than commercial ones and this one has been on for about 30,000 miles.

The F-53 chassis comes from the factory with a front TB but adding one in the rear really makes a difference. Still not sure why Ford thought it prudent to add a front TB sometime in the mid 2005 or so but not a rear TB. That's like having a leak in your pool and just adding water to fix it.

If you want some free advice send me a PM and then we can exchange home e-mails then share some pics. I'll send you pics of what I've built and you can send me your DF pics and we can decide how to build your front and rear TB.

You might find some pics on line of Fords front TB or I can also send pics of what Ford did.

TeJay
Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
94aerbus,

What George said above is correct. Adding a front and rear track bar (TB) will add a great degree of driving control.

you can't do the CHF on that early of a Ford chassis so that's out. You've already changed the shocks and bushings as well. I'm also thinking you have 16" tires.

We have some friends who were on the verge of selling their RV because it handled so badly. We built him a rear TB and when he drove to our next outing he told everybody he was driving a NEW RV. The handling improved way more than he thought it was going to.

Here's MHO on Sumo Springs. They will add a lot of sway control but may add some ride harshness. They are not adjustable. However because your RV is a lot older than most and you said you have air bags your springs may be sagging due to age. Air bags will help with that by adding some spring rate to those sagging leaf springs.

You also said you added a steering dampener. That was a good move but a better move would been to add a steering stabilizer shock with a large coil spring to assist in keeping the steering wheel (SW) centered. Yes the shock dampens sudden steering wheel movement but that spring keeps the SW centered. That's a really great addition IMHO!!

I have done several DIY rear TB's. I'm not at all familiar with your chassis. If you wanted to send me some pics of the front and rear of the rear differential used on that chassis maybe I can advise you on what I'd recommend. TB are not that difficult to make. My first one cost me about $50 which is a lot less than commercial ones and this one has been on for about 30,000 miles.

The F-53 chassis comes from the factory with a front TB but adding one in the rear really makes a difference. Still not sure why Ford thought it prudent to add a front TB sometime in the mid 2005 or so but not a rear TB. That's like having a leak in your pool and just adding water to fix it.

If you want some free advice send me a PM and then we can exchange home e-mails then share some pics. I'll send you pics of what I've built and you can send me your DF pics and we can decide how to build your front and rear TB.

You might find some pics on line of Fords front TB or I can also send pics of what Ford did.

TeJay
The leaf springs on the front are getting replaced next, they’re obviously sagged, I just took it to a spring shop I used to use when I was a heavy wheel mechanic, they’re getting rebuilt.

I thought about the steering stabilizer, but I wanted to start with the Monroe replacement damper first and see how it handled. It was only $40 and it made a huge difference. I’m pretty happy with front end handling now. I can drive with one hand no worries or stress. There is no front TB on this year model. I believe it would help even more with body roll if it did have one.

The rear springs have no sag at all and are still at original factory settings as far as shape and strength.

I’ll send you a PM because I have been tossing around making my own based on the super steer design.

I have also looked at the secondary sway bar that some others have mentioned.
94aerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:50 PM   #490

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you've got the mechanical experience and shop to do these DIY things. That's always a plus. There's almost nothing that I won't tackle if I can save some $$$ and make a product that I also usually improve from the stock design. That's even more fun!!!!

I just responded to your PM!!

TeJay

Tags
ford