Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Banging Noise on front end

I have a 2012 32CA Tiffin Allegro Open Road with Ford Chassis. I have 8900 miles on it. I Went from Upstate NY to Hilton Head, SC no problems. Came back, I was traveling thru rain the entire time. About an hour from home I started hearing a small banging noise whenever I made a turn. It became worse and worse closer to home. When I parked it, I raised up one side (to fully empty the water tank and simulate turning), and I was getting the bang once more. I checked it doing both sides and the same thing. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it? I don't see and rubbing on the leaf springs or shocks. I have not greased any of the fittings since I owned it. I planned on greasing it this spring. I am baffled. Any help would be appreciated.
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
now that is a tough one I had the same problem thought it was coming from around the front bumper. I checked everything and could find nothing loose. Finally I figured it out it was the arm that holds the door awning out, the velcro was worn that holds it in place and the wind was making it hit the body. I would have never believed it could make so much noise but it did.
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #3

Check you sway bars. There have been some reports of the sway bar brackets coming lose or the bolts shearing.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Check you sway bars. There have been some reports of the sway bar brackets coming lose or the bolts shearing.

Done that, they are in good shape. I see no signs of any wear or damage anywhere, that's what's so frustrating.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You might have the "clunk" of the sway bars, check the torque on the them.

Or the rain might have had something to do with it, washing lubrication off a connection??
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #6

Can you describe in more detail what the banging sounds like?

Heavy vs light, approximate location as best you can determine, (specifically where up front if you can tell). Frequency is regular like a clock or occasional or just one bang and then nothing for a few miles. Only when turning? Which direction, or both? Under acceleration or cruising? This can help folks narrow it down.

If you lost one of your sway bar bracket bushings as an example, you might not notice that with a quick look around. And when the coach moved side to side or up and down the bar might bang up against the front axle. On your chassis the antisway bar brackets have been notorious for being loose or working loose. Heavy rain would also serve to lubricate the bar and bushing allowing it to pop out if it was loose. Also, I would get the unit serviced more often. With 8900 miles I've had mine serviced including lubing all fittings, two times, (mine is like yours but 2011) with another service in March when I get it out of storage.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We used to get a clunk from the front ends of our trucks during sharp turns that was caused by dry and worn spring pin bushings. If we lubed them the clunking would go away and also indicate what was wrong. Eventually it became such a problem that the manufacturer (Freightliner) redesigned the spring pins.

More recently we were traveling along in the coach last year when we began to hear this sporadic banging that sounded as though it were right under the drivers side floor. Twice I pulled over to investigate before realizing that a bolt that held the bottom rear of the driver's side fender to it's mount had fallen out causing the fender to flap and bang against the mount in the wind as we went down the road.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Can you describe in more detail what the banging sounds like?

Heavy vs light, approximate location as best you can determine, (specifically where up front if you can tell). Frequency is regular like a clock or occasional or just one bang and then nothing for a few miles. Only when turning? Which direction, or both? Under acceleration or cruising? This can help folks narrow it down.

If you lost one of your sway bar bracket bushings as an example, you might not notice that with a quick look around. And when the coach moved side to side or up and down the bar might bang up against the front axle. On your chassis the antisway bar brackets have been notorious for being loose or working loose. Heavy rain would also serve to lubricate the bar and bushing allowing it to pop out if it was loose. Also, I would get the unit serviced more often. With 8900 miles I've had mine serviced including lubing all fittings, two times, (mine is like yours but 2011) with another service in March when I get it out of storage.

Roll
It is a fairly heavy bang, almost a pop type noise. It seems to come from somewhere in the front suspention. It only happens when I turn, either right or left. Once I am in the turn , it doesn't do it. It bangs only when I am entering a right or left turn.
I can park my rig and use my levelers to simulate the turn,Ie. having the rig lean right or left, and it does the same thing. My next move is to have my wife use the levelers while I look (carefully) under and see if I can locate the noise.
I will check the torgue and lube all the points, see if that quiets the noise. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #9

Get it into the Dealer for inspection. Doesn't sound good.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Maybe check the shock mounts, both upper and lower, they may have a torn bushing or be loose. Not too likely anything worn on such a new unit, seem like it would be something loose. Suspicious of shocks since it can be simulated without turning the steering wheel.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My noise like yours was loose leaf spring brackets to frame.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
My noise like yours was loose leaf spring brackets to frame.
What did you do about it? Is it a big deal to fix?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #13

Have you checked the steps, ours rattle when on rough roads.
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It sure sounds like the driving in the rain has something to do with your problem. Sounds like something is binding and then releasing causing the pop-bang sound. Have you had anyone listen from under the rig while duplicating the sound? First off, grease all the fittings...factory grease jobs are not very good, usually just a smidge of grease when assembling..If it still makes the noise, re-torque sway bars and trac bar connections. Check leaf spring bolts and shock bolts too. If the leaf springs are moving you should be able to see a mark on them near the shackles...
While greasing make sure all is tight at the tie rods and pitman arm..Steering box bolts.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote