Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #1

Battery isolator questions

Hi,
I have a 2004 National Seabreeze on a Ford F53.
This problem just started recently.
While my RV is in storage I go there to connect to shore power for 24 hours, every 3 weeks. I can't just leave the shore power connected at all times because the storage place had a huge fire a few years ago. They have a one day limit to connect.

When I went to disconnect the shore power I always check both batterie's voltage before leaving. My engine battery did not charge up (about 12.3 volts), but the house batteries did; they were at about 13.3 volts.
I brought the motorhome and started checking more closely and suspect the battery isolator or disconnect is not connecting the two batteries. I know this worked in the past. I put a charger on the engine battery and brought it to a full charge, but the two battery voltages don't match.

My question is this; I'm thinking it's either the electronic board that senses both battery voltages and triggers has failed or the disconnect solenoid has failed. When I measure the voltages on the large terminals of the solenoid I see the house battery voltage on the left terminal and engine battery voltage on the right. There are also two small terminals on the solenoid, one near the house battery connection and the other near the engine battery connection, both small terminals are connected to the sensing board; one has 12 volts on it and the other does not. Does anyone know what these two small terminal voltages should be if the solenoid should be connecting the two batteries and vice versa?

I believe I once saw a description on the workings of this system but I don't know if I can find it again. Does someone have this info?

Thanks,
Mike
mxw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2020, 10:56 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
If you have 12 volts on the left small terminal, the solenoid is activated. The other small terminal is ground, thru your BCC. The BCC senses a charging condition, and then activates the solenoid, to enable charging both batteries. Also, when you press your aux, or emer start button in the cab, it supplies 12 volts to the left small terminal. The Aux start button won't do anything as long as you have 12 volts on the left small terminal, since that has already activated the solenoid. You can test this by carefully removing the nut on the right small terminal, then removing the wire. You should hear the solenoid disengage. If it does, check the two large terminals on each side of the solenoid with a volt meter. You should read 2 different battery voltages, one from chassis, and one from house. Put the small wire back on the right terminal, and if the solenoid energizes again, retest the large terminals, they should read the same now. If not, your solenoid is bad. Also, the BCC should not be putting 12 volts on the solenoid all the time. Only when it's sensing a charging condition, with either the house or chassis battery. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:45 AM   #3

Very common for the solenoid to activate but not make the connection internally.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:38 AM   #4

Thanks to both of your posts. That seems what is happening, the solenoid is activated, but not making internal connections to the large battery terminals.

I'd rather change the solenoid than the BCC anyway.

Are these solenoids easy to find?

Mike
Old 07-06-2020, 01:28 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Post a pic of your solenoid. If it's the normal one, they are available on Amazon.
https://smile.amazon.com/tekonsha-70...063684&sr=8-14
Old 07-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Please remember, the solenoid should only activate if it senses a charging condition i.e. engine running, generator running, or on shore power, or, possibly, if one battery is extremely low, but I don't know that for sure.

edit; or if you engage the aux or emer start button in the cab.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxw1 View Post
Thanks to both of your posts. That seems what is happening, the solenoid is activated, but not making internal connections to the large battery terminals.

I'd rather change the solenoid than the BCC anyway.

Are these solenoids easy to find?

Mike
Most RV stores stock replacements. Look for a continuous duty 12 volt solenoid switch. They often go bad since when plugged in for months they are energized for months!
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:06 AM   #8

I,m out of town at the moment, but will let you know what I find when I get back and make the repairs.
Thanks again for the help and replies.
Mike
Old 07-09-2020, 11:45 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Custom Product is the manufacturer of the Battery Control Center (BCC). Seems they have upgraded to a web site never had one before. Use to have to call and they would email the documentation for the BCC. This link has the troubleshooting guide and diagrams for National RV BCC. If you need additional help try calling them use to be very friendly. I'm sure things changed with the COVID-19.
https://rvcustomproducts.com/111979
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery isolator