Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Battery Maintainers

I have a 2003 HR w/a Ford V10 gasser.
Do any of you use 12 volt battery maintainers on your chassis battery when you put it up for a few months in the winter?
I looked at some on an automotive site and they suggest that is good for boats,etc., but they do not mention an auto. I don't think that matters though.
I have seen them in the 1v vs 2v models and wonder which would be applicable.
I don't want to take it out for the winter and I want it to stay up to snuff.
I plug in my m/h for a few winter months, but it does not maintain the charge on the chassis battery. I guess that I would to hardwire the charger into a 110 outlet and then put the alligator clips on the battery.In turn when I am under way I would disconnect the battery connectors.

Any comments?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
Unless you are using an AGM battery, absolutely you should. Take a look at Battery Tender.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had good luck with the $5 ones from harbor Freight. I have 10 plus batteries in storage over the winter and they are all charged come spring. On the coach which goes south I plug a maintainer into the outlet on the outside and run the cable under the compartment door to the batteries. Working good for the last few years. K.I.S.S principle.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

Are the chassis batteries next to the coach battery? If they are just clip the positive of the chassis to the positive on the coach. Makes it all one big, happy battery.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
Unless you are using an AGM battery, absolutely you should. Take a look at Battery Tender.
I have an AGM battery and I am using a Battery Tender. Why do you say not to?

The instructions on the Battery Tender says it is ok. It does say not to use it on dry cell batteries.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
An AGM battery has a very slow rate of self discharge and really does not need a battery tender unless there are phantom loads i.e. radio or TV (even when off) that will draw it down. What I am saying is there is no need for it not that there is a problem using one. This is one of the reasons I went with an AGM battery.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Battery tender plus

Thanks for all the input. I guess i'll go with the "Plus" which is $48.95 on Amazon. I see that I can also run an extension cord from the 110 outlet in the RV to power the Tender if the wires aren't long enough.

Just another example of the kind of help that is on this site.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a battery minder. The battery minder uses a pulse charge to break up sulfate on the plates. A customer gave me a $250.00 battery that was sulfated so bad it would not work. It took about six months, but the battery minder finally cleaned it up enough to use. I have been using it now for four years with no problems. I keep the batteries in the motorhome with a battery minder hooked up, all winter.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
Are the chassis batteries next to the coach battery? If they are just clip the positive of the chassis to the positive on the coach. Makes it all one big, happy battery.
I'm plugged in to shore power all the time. This is what I did.

Posi clipped to posi on 1 6v batt, neg clipped to neg on other 6v batt. That way its 12v to the 12v chassis batt.

Now on-board charger keeps everything up, without harm to any.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
An AGM battery has a very slow rate of self discharge and really does not need a battery tender unless there are phantom loads i.e. radio or TV (even when off) that will draw it down. What I am saying is there is no need for it not that there is a problem using one. This is one of the reasons I went with an AGM battery.
Thanks for the clarification.

The AGM battery I had installed this summer must have not been fully charged because it went dead while the coach was in storage. I had only driven the coach from the battery shop to the house (5 Miles). Since I had the Battery Tender I just hooked it up and left it to make sure it didn't get drained again.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjm209 View Post
I guess that I would to hardwire the charger into a 110 outlet and then put the alligator clips on the battery.In turn when I am under way I would disconnect the battery connectors.
You may want to read the 2 Blog entries I wrote. There maybe something there that will help you .....
·
Assured Automotive Power - BatteryMINDer Model 12248
BatteryMINDer Installation - Finishing Touches

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You won't have to deal with any cords, settings, etc. with Trickle-Start. I have absolutely no problems since installing this two years ago.

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
You won't have to deal with any cords, settings, etc. with Trickle-Start. I have absolutely no problems since installing this two years ago.
puttin, I do see that there are cords that attach the device to the battery. Which cords are you specifically talking about that are absent?

In regard to setting the Battery-Minder it can offer the operator flexibility and you can customize charging voltages and battery types.

The previous Battery Minder product that I used plugged directly into an outlet and it has two leads that attach to the battery. This was a 1.33 Amp charger maintainer de-sulphator that is also very good for use over extended periods of time.

The new bigger unit I am currently using is just more flexible.
·

I purchased both of these devices from www.rvupgrades.com.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DriVer,

The cords are just the battery leads- they are permanently connected so there's no need to mess with anything each time you replenish the chassis batt. This has been a great system for me and I never have to plug anything in!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery