Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #15

I use mid grade 89 remember the generator burns the same gas
Rodneykrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:32 AM   #16

The Onan also only requires 87 octane.

As for the 85 octane at higher elevations, yes its fine for naturally aspirated engines like the v-10 but NOT for forced induction engines as they need the same octane at the higher elevations as they do at sea level.

Lastly, I only use tier one gasoline. No off brands. Chevron/Texaco, Shell, Conocco/Phillips, BP/Amoco, Valero. Notice Exxon is not in that list and neither is Arco.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:05 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
On our last 3 V10s I have used whatever fuel is the cheapest whether ethanol or not. We run in the mid 7s for mpg. Stock setup from factory. Have gotten over 9 mpg on 1000+trip with tailwind. Lowest was just under 7 with a headwind. It is a breadbox not a speak Corvette shape. I also do not use cruise except on flat ground so I do override or cancel on small hills such as TX overpasses to stay in higher gears. The older V10s will not do as good as the newer 3 valves.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #18
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Octane is simply the rating of how rapidly the fuel burns. The higher the number, the slower the fuel burns. There is nothing special or better about Premium fuel, it simply burns slower for those engines that require it.

However, when you buy from the major brands, Shell, BP, Exxon, etc. they put much greater amounts of their additive package into the "premium" fuel than they do the "regular". The additive package is what keeps your fuel injectors, valves, intake manifolds, etc clean.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #19

Interesting Thread. I am a flatlander from FL but driving out west in Colorado I met a guy who drove MH's to dealers for Manufactureres and he advised me of the different Octane ratings. He recommended using a middle grade to compensate for the drop in Octane. I did so and noticed the only difference was the increase on what I spent for fuel. I try to shop for price when possible because again I can feel no difference. I hope the steady highway speeds do enough to keep the exaust system clean.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
Interesting Thread. I am a flatlander from FL but driving out west in Colorado I met a guy who drove MH's to dealers for Manufactureres and he advised me of the different Octane ratings. He recommended using a middle grade to compensate for the drop in Octane. I did so and noticed the only difference was the increase on what I spent for fuel. I try to shop for price when possible because again I can feel no difference. I hope the steady highway speeds do enough to keep the exaust system clean.
Gas vehicles pretty much always have clean exhaust. The myth of carboned up valves and plugged up injectors from fuel is pretty much a myth to try and get people to buy extra fuel additives.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #21

I switched to 87/85 and get 7.5 mpg...got the PenFed rewards card that saves me 5% on my statement. Plus I use the good Sam discount
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #22

My V-10 will cough and sputter on anything less than 87. Last time I tried 85, I refilled @ 1/2 tank with 89 for balance and it ran much better. I now have 90 thousand miles and keep pretty good records and get just over 7 MPG. Did AK in 2010, got 7 mpg over 10,000 miles, after a plug/COP change @ 60,000.

H

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
However, when you buy from the major brands, Shell, BP, Exxon, etc. they put much greater amounts of their additive package into the "premium" fuel than they do the "regular". The additive package is what keeps your fuel injectors, valves, intake manifolds, etc clean.
Hmmm. While I've heard that before, I've never found any documentation to support it. Do you have a manufacturer, or better, an independent laboratory link that can verify that? I would really like to put it to rest in my own mind. Thanks!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Best fuel for the V10

Quote:
Hmmm. While I've heard that before, I've never found any documentation to support it. Do you have a manufacturer, or better, an independent laboratory link that can verify that? I would really like to put it to rest in my own mind. Thanks!

Here is some documentation from Shell

http://www.shell.us/products-service...power/faq.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402612244.717842.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	606.2 KB
ID:	65228
Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you. I stand corrected - at least as far as Shell premium goes.

Something else important for everyone to understand is that not all engines should run Premium grade fuel. I own one car that specifically states in the Owner's Manual that premium grade fuel is not recommended as it provides no benefit and can give reduced performance. I can scan the page if you like.

While the gasoline producers would love to convince everyone to run their premium fuel at a premium price and profit (after all, that is why they are in business) the engine designer & maker always has the best advice.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #26
Community Moderator

Quote:
Thank you. I stand corrected - at least as far as Shell premium goes.

Here is documentation for BP gasoline stating the same thing.

http://mybpstation.com/fuels/invigorate-faq/

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1402623286.348802.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	65239
Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #27

I always use 87 octane and get 7.5 mpg @ 62 mph on an average. My previous V10 Ford was Class C and got a little better with it....figure 7-8 and enjoy the ride.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lewis View Post
I always use 87 octane and get 7.5 mpg @ 62 mph on an average. My previous V10 Ford was Class C and got a little better with it....figure 7-8 and enjoy the ride.
I agree, my Ford owner's manual says to use 10% ethanol 87 octane fuel.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, v10