Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2022, 07:24 PM   #1

Best motor oil for Triton v-10

Anyone?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 07:42 PM   #2
US1

I use M1 in all my vehicles.
I wouldn't worry so much as to the brand, as long as you do regular oil/filter changes with oil that meet the specs.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:54 PM   #3

^^^^^ Agree.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:03 PM   #4

The owners manual provides an excellent source for this information.
Fogbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:40 PM   #5

I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w30
with a Purolator 1 oil filter .

The oil was formulated for Ford engines and the Purolator 1 filter is a high quality filter .

The engine stills runs and sounds like new.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
I use Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5w30
with a Purolator 1 oil filter .

The oil was formulated for Ford engines and the Purolator 1 filter is a high quality filter .

The engine stills runs and sounds like new.

^^Same^^
Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:58 PM   #7

Great oil is good.. problem is.. that many .. maybe too many wait 15,000 miles.. and don't consider time.. just in plain old English.. if you plan to keep it.. change oil.. more often then books tell you..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 06-22-2022, 09:19 PM   #8

For years I owned and ran a fleet service business. My primary customers often owned E series vans. The V10 in question was the second most common engine my business I serviced. I personally have likely done thousands of V10 oil changes. Many of the engines, including V10s exceeded 250,000 while experiencing some relatively heavy loads and commercial used that sometimes bordered on abuse. Most of the vehicles had original mechanically sound engines when retired.
I never saw any engine failures related to brand or "type" (synthetic, ect.). There were two things that contributed to the engine damage I did see. One was low oil. These engines can burn oil, especially if the PCV valve gets old or stuck. They also burn and fuel dilute the oil when operated with leaky exhaust manifolds. Thankfully they hold more oil than many other engines so when they are low they haven't been checked in many many tanks of fuel.
The other failures were all related to oil that was too thick. The recommendation is either 5w20 or 5w30 depending on the year and application. I would personally use the weight Ford recommended for that particular year either in the owners manual, on the underhood sticker, or on the oil cap. Not that anyone has recommended it yet, but the falsehood that thicker oil is better seems to never die. If you are asking about oil, don't fall into that trap on this engine.
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 09:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
5W-20 Synthetic Blend according to Ford.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...gEnabled=False
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post
The other failures were all related to oil that was too thick. The recommendation is either 5w20 or 5w30 depending on the year and application. I would personally use the weight Ford recommended for that particular year either in the owners manual, on the underhood sticker, or on the oil cap. Not that anyone has recommended it yet, but the falsehood that thicker oil is better seems to never die. If you are asking about oil, don't fall into that trap on this engine.

Best advice in this and many other threads regarding oil. Personally I use full synthetic oil as every engine builder I have ever known, and I've know quite a few, recommends full synthetic. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post
For years I owned and ran a fleet service business. My primary customers often owned E series vans. The V10 in question was the second most common engine my business I serviced. I personally have likely done thousands of V10 oil changes. Many of the engines, including V10s exceeded 250,000 while experiencing some relatively heavy loads and commercial used that sometimes bordered on abuse. Most of the vehicles had original mechanically sound engines when retired.
I never saw any engine failures related to brand or "type" (synthetic, ect.). There were two things that contributed to the engine damage I did see. One was low oil. These engines can burn oil, especially if the PCV valve gets old or stuck. They also burn and fuel dilute the oil when operated with leaky exhaust manifolds. Thankfully they hold more oil than many other engines so when they are low they haven't been checked in many many tanks of fuel.

A quick review of the differences and similarities between 5w20 and 5w30 .

The 5w signifies the cold weather viscosity , so both the 5w20 and 5w30 have similar cold weather viscosity . Both oils provide similar cold start protection .

It's when the engine is exposed to constant high heat and loading that the two oils differ . The 5w20 will thin out and provide less protection in " severe use" , which in a Motorhome is it's normal state of use.

The 5w30 will provide better protection when the engine is at temperature and under constant load by maintaining a higher viscosity and a greater ability to remove heat from the engine.

The recommended 5w20 was an effort to meet the Federal Fleet Mileage Requirements that manufacturers were required to meet . The thinner oil produced less friction , so engine efficiency and mileage was increased , however incremental .

My V10 calls out 5w20 , but summer month usage and constant highway speeds usually pulling a toad , I use 5w30 and have had great results .

One caveat , if your engine is still under warranty , use the factory recommended oil . The manufacturers are always looking for a way to void a claim.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:20 AM   #12

Shell rotella gas truck full synthetic
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:14 AM   #13

All I can say is I used Mobil 1 for past 5 years. My '16 Bounder with 33,069 miles recently self destructed. So, in my disappointed opinion, it really doesn't matter what oil one uses. As I was told many times, these things are man made spinning at unheard of speeds. They fail. V10 Self Destructs at 33,000 miles
Old 06-23-2022, 09:16 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll dare say that oil type (only) helps with (preventing/minimising) wear and cooling. Synthetic helps because it doesn't break down and lose lubricating properties with heat as fast as mineral-based oils do (not to mention more uniform viscosity for given temperature range). There will be random events that no oil is going to prevent or reduce the chance of.

That said, I am using Castrol full synthetic 5/20 in my rig. Have clocked ~5,000 Km since the change last October so will change before the next big trip.

As for engine speed, I run my engine up to only 3,000 rpm under any throttle load (maybe had it higher for less than 10-15 seconds total for some unavoidable traffic merging situations). Gotten close to 5,000 rpm unloaded for engine braking (have lots of steep downhills where I roam).

Tags
motor