RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2020, 01:24 PM   #1

Bilstein 24-245975 Steering Damper

Question about the Bilstein 24-245975 Steering Damper. I bought this to put on my 2007 Itasca 35J Ford F53 RV and the shop is saying it's a gas charged damper and they don't recommend putting it on? Said I need a Non-gas charged damper?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 01:47 PM   #2

Not sure about the reason the shop is recommending not installing but there potentially is a reason you might want to go with something along the lines of a Safe-T-Plus: The steering damper you mention is only going to be strong enough to handle minor stresses on the steering and will be of little assistance in situations where there is a severe impact on one of the steering wheels, such as a blowout. I had one of the steering dampers on my 23' class C and it provided nominal steering support even on normal road conditions. The Safe-T-Plus, and similar like-sized units, are capable of handling a coach of our size and weight and you will see the assistance even in non-tire blow out situations: such as, uneven road beds, passing semis, elevated wind hitting one side of the coach, etc.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

Yep; I put a roadmaster on my rig. I like it.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

I put Bilstein on my E450
Itís far superior to the stock OEM steering damper that Ford uses. I noticed a dramatic improvement.
Personally, I chose to spend $95 for Bilstein vs $600+ for SafTPlus or Roadmaster. Itís a simple DIY plug & play install.
I like the results.

That said, other E350/450 owners have opted for SafTPlus or Roadmaster and swear by it.
While still others have made no mod whatsoever and just keep driviní

Tags
steering