Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

Blue Plastic cap on air box: 2011 F-53 chassis

I noticed this winter that my Ford chassis air filter box has what looks like 1 inch nipple molded into the front (facing forward) which is covered with a blue plastic cap. The blue plastic is thin and apparently not too sturdy since the cap is cracked and either needs to be taped up or replaced.

Can anyone explain what this is for and if I need to do something other than just fix the cap.

A couple of ideas float to the top: Is this a pressure relief cap for an intake backfire or maybe something to do with water in the air box?

My chassis is a 2011 and has, as far as I know, the Ford changes incorporated that were designed to prevent water from getting into the air box; a problem with older Ford Chassis.

Thanks for any help,

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Got my answer from Coachmen.

It's a shipping cover and should be removed. Maybe my mileage will bump up a tad?

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Thanks for the update.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Doubt that you will see a mileage increase. Thought that would be great. The cover was over a water drain outlet. It just lets any rainwater going into the filter drain out.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've kept my blue plug and my yellow net for the airbox. I install them when the coach is stored for any extended length of time to keep the critters at bay. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #6

Picked up the coach and brought it home. Removed the blue cap. That outlet is 1 1/2 inches in diameter but is only a quarter the size of the main air intake.

Didn't notice any difference but then only drove it 4 miles to the house and did not hit any high rpms.

I did look into the hole with a flashlight and see that the air box compartment is segregated with a divider so I suspect that I have an air filter that is dirty on one side and clean on the other. We'll see.

Gary
Old 03-11-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I removed my air filter from my '11 F53 Bounder the large inlet side was very dirty at 7k miles but on the 1.5" inlet side of the filter because of the divider was clean. Got me thinking... Only 2/3 of the filter was working? Changed to a less restrictive filter that now only gets air from a enlarged cold air intake. Throttle response is way up!

Tags
chassis