Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #1

Body mount question.

How tight are the rubber body mounts supposed to be? I found one that is loose.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408720466.633036.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	71682

It is not even making contact with the bracket. I can shake it easily by hand.

1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #2

There may be a torque spec for new , mount cushions , I don't now if that would be any use on older ones though. Tighten till the compression of the cushions looks similar to the rest .
Old 08-22-2014, 10:14 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The mount bolt should have a locking nut on it. This will keep it from coming loose. The rubber mount itself is probably worn out and that's why it's loose. You'll need to replace it.

There are no torque specs for these. When you get the new one installed tighten it down compressing the rubber until it is the roughly the same diameter (or just slightly larger) than the metal washers.

I just looked at the picture again. I can't tell exactly how it's put together but. Either the bolt runs through to a nut on the back side that you can get to or the nut is welded in place and you don't need to and can't change it. In either case I'd use red lock tight on the threads so it won't come loose. It still may be a locking nut but the red lock tight won't hurt.

And you can change and probably should, all of the bushings. I'd take them off and hit some dealers and or parts stores. Their fairly common but they will need sizes so they can get the correct ones.

TeJay
Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #4

Body mount question.

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, the big washer is welded to the nut. The bolt drops down from the top. The washer/nut is on the bottom.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago-Rider View Post
How tight are the rubber body mounts supposed to be? I found one that is loose.
Attachment 71682

It is not even making contact with the bracket. I can shake it easily by hand.

Our 2000 Residency also uses the same type body mount system. Have you tried tightening the bolt?

The rubber mounts between our coach frame and chassis rail have compressed over the years and need replacing which I plan to do in the near future.

Good luck & safe travels....

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #6

Yes I tightened it, just didn't know how tight to get it.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago-Rider View Post
Yes I tightened it, just didn't know how tight to get it.

Oh, OK, I would tighten it to where you can see compression on the lower rubber bushing. Sometimes the bolt will have a place where the thread ends and the bolt can't be tightened any further which may be the case with the body mount bolts, but not sure...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Think back to what I wrote in post #3. The nut should be a lock nut so it won't back out. When just a bolt and nut are tightened together they should be torqued. Torquing them together stretches the bolt which then acts like a clamping device which keeps the nut from coming loose.

When you tighten a bolt and nut for a bushing set up you can't stretch the bolt because as you tighten the bolt and nut the rubber compresses. The only way you can tighten the bolt enough to stretch it so it will stay together without a lock nut is to compress the rubber until it can't be compressed anymore. Then it won't act like a rubber bushing which is designed to absorb vibrations and movement. It has to be held together with a locking nut of some sort.

Sooooo if the bushings are loose then they are worn out, compressed, not expandable anymore or what ever you want to call a worn rubber bushing. Yes you can tighten the bolt but that really does no good. The lock nut will keep the bolt from falling out. Compressing a worn hard rubber bushing does not do much good. They need to be replaced.

TeJay
Old 08-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #9

Ok, I'll add that to the list. I guess I need to replace all of them.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #10

Ok, what are they actually called? I can't seem to find them in all the various things I tried searching for.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I googled "Body and Frame Mount Bushings" & there's a ton of stuff. But you will probably need to have dimensions like: thickness, diameter and hole size. It won't matter to much if they are slightly thicker or slightly larger unless it will make it difficult to get them into a small place.

If you found a sight that dealt with your frame then you might be able to find them by application otherwise just getting them by dimension will also work. Try finding some made out of POLY if you can because it is better. That said the original ones lasted a long time so stock would work.

A Ford dealer might be able to order them for you but again they will need the dimensions as well.

TeJay
Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

Tried ford dealer. Their system said item discontinued.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe Ford discontinued them for that chassis but with measurements and some searching you should be able to find them. Even if the hole is wrong you can drill it bigger. These are just cushions to absorb/minimize and isolate body movement and vibration from the frame to the chassis. Any bushing will do as long as it's close. Take them in to a parts store show them what you need and a decent parts guy will get out the books check dimensions and advise you what to order. It's not like you have to have an exact part. Don't over think this. I've got some rubber mud flaps that could be cut and drilled to do the job.

If all else fails send me the dimensions and I'll go to NAPA , O'Riley's, or a parts house and find them. Take one set out. Take some pictures of them and send me the dimensions: thickness and diameter as well as bolt hole size. Do it today or tomorrow because we are going out of town on Wednesday for a week so it's either before then or next week.
I'm serious about this. I'll find them or something very close that will work.

TeJay
Old 08-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #14

Thanks. I will take one out and take it yo napa, only 15 miles. Good excuse to get the motorcycle out.