Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2022, 11:17 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake Pads

I need to replace my brake pads, I was going to order from RockAuto, what is the recommended brand or type? I see several types. Thanks [emoji106]
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2022, 11:31 AM   #2

I like "Power stop" brake pads/rotors. I have used them on my Dodge Dakota that I drag race for 18-20 years now.
https://www.powerstop.com/products/

I just searched Rockauto. They have the Z36 pads. Are you planning on replacing the rotors? It is advisable. The pads need a fresh surface to "Seat or wear into". You may be able to have the current rotors resurfaced.
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:30 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all I agree 100% with 99darts, suggestions regarding rotors. Secondly understand that brake pad material has changed greatly over the years especially since asbestos was taken out of the equation. This is what I'll do when it comes time for new pads.

I'll visit some truck repair shops and ask them what they would recommend for your chassis. Why do this??? In the commercial world if an owners vehicle is in a repair facility for standard expected repairs like brakes it is not making any money. If that same vehicle is in for the same repair sooner than expected again it is not making any $$$$$$$. When a shop uses less than the current best parts available based on changes in technology excessive down time may happen and a shop could lose that customers business.

Automotive parts houses often have parts that will vary in quality for one simple reason. To do a proper and complete rebuild of say an alternator or starter they can be brought back into service and still not replace all internal parts. Therefore the prices will vary. The parts houses do not want you to walk away so they offer cheaper parts just to make the sale. Not everybody is interested in how long that part will last.

Brake pads are one of those parts and often a parts shop will stock as many as 4 or 5 different quality pads which is only done to make a sale.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:29 PM   #4

Brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV LYONS View Post
I need to replace my brake pads, I was going to order from RockAuto, what is the recommended brand or type? I see several types. Thanks [emoji106]
Being it’s not a fleet vehicle? Meaning a daily driver. I like. Thermo quiets. If you are traveling a lot. A would recommend the performance friction. I think it is. I put them on heavy hydraulic wreckers. Tow trucks. Your best bet is Orielys.if you got a problem they are every where. I would replace calipers if there is a lot of miles. And check rotors and bearing why your at it. Good luck. Happy travels
Mrfixit69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:02 PM   #5

Go to Ford for OEM brake pads.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:42 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Ford makes Super Duty OEM pads that are by far the best for a motorhome. RockAuto has them as Motorcraft BRSD-411 for $58.99. Front and rear are the same pads. This pad set is complete with anti-rattle spring and new sliding pins. One of the few sets that come complete.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:04 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
Ford makes Super Duty OEM pads that are by far the best for a motorhome. RockAuto has them as Motorcraft BRSD-411 for $58.99. Front and rear are the same pads. This pad set is complete with anti-rattle spring and new sliding pins. One of the few sets that come complete.

Code2e, I checked out those pads, I’m gonna go with them and I’ll be replacing the rotors also. I was going to rebuild the hydro boost and replace the master cylinder also, I see a problem with the brake lines coming out of master cylinder, and will be replacing what needs to be replaced. What is the reason for the fins on the brake lines and the way they are coiled? Picture enclosed
Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	376548Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	378.6 KB
ID:	376548
Old 09-16-2022, 09:43 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Code2e, I checked out those pads, I’m gonna go with them and I’ll be replacing the rotors also. I was going to rebuild the hydro boost and replace the master cylinder also, I see a problem with the brake lines coming out of master cylinder, and will be replacing what needs to be replaced. What is the reason for the fins on the brake lines and the way they are coiled? Picture enclosed
Thanks Attachment 376548Attachment 376548
I believe you live in an area that uses road salt in the winter. The corrosion you see is rust. The brake lines are shielded with a steel coil wrap to protect the lines from road hazards. An armor, so to speak.

You might try a rust dissolver such as PB Blaster on the rust. Clean to bare metal with hand wire brush to see if line itself is etched. Might be surface rusting. Replacement metal lines will be hard to find. They can be made up from straight replacement brake lines. You will need a tubing bender, cutter and double flaring tool set for that. There are you-tube's to help, if it comes to that.

I will be happy to help further.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by code2e View Post
I believe you live in an area that uses road salt in the winter. The corrosion you see is rust. The brake lines are shielded with a steel coil wrap to protect the lines from road hazards. An armor, so to speak.

You might try a rust dissolver such as PB Blaster on the rust. Clean to bare metal with hand wire brush to see if line itself is etched. Might be surface rusting. Replacement metal lines will be hard to find. They can be made up from straight replacement brake lines. You will need a tubing bender, cutter and double flaring tool set for that. There are you-tube's to help, if it comes to that.

I will be happy to help further.

Thanks again, I live in Pennsylvania and YES we use a lot of road salt
Old 12-28-2022, 10:31 PM   #10

With all due respect, it is necessary to know the year of your F53 chassis and the weight rating in order to get the correct disc brake pads. I can’t speak to your RV “RV LYONS”, but my chassis is a 20,500 pound 2017 F53. The applications that I’ve seen appear to be for less than 23k and greater than 23k chassis. Unless I missed something, the “BRSD-411” pads at Rock Auto mentioned in this thread don’t specify the vehicle, year or weight rating. So I’m uncertain which vehicle they’re made for.

The part number for the FORD OEM pads on my chassis is 8U9Z-2001C which retail for $91.65 per axle at Ford.

Hans
hjabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 11:41 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjabernathy View Post
With all due respect, it is necessary to know the year of your F53 chassis and the weight rating in order to get the correct disc brake pads. I can’t speak to your RV “RV LYONS”, but my chassis is a 20,500 pound 2017 F53. The applications that I’ve seen appear to be for less than 23k and greater than 23k chassis. Unless I missed something, the “BRSD-411” pads at Rock Auto mentioned in this thread don’t specify the vehicle, year or weight rating. So I’m uncertain which vehicle they’re made for.

The part number for the FORD OEM pads on my chassis is 8U9Z-2001C which retail for $91.65 per axle at Ford.

Hans
If you noticed his signature line at the bottom of every post, his coach is a 1996 F-53. The Motorcraft (OEM Ford) BRSD-411 Super Duty pads fit all F-53 from 1989 to 1997. GVW is not an issue.

Your 2017 F-53 is different. Motorcraft does make super duty pads for yours as well. BRF-4 fits up to 22K GVW and BRF-2 fits 24K and 26K GVW chassis.
Old 01-03-2023, 04:43 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjabernathy View Post

Hans

Hello I have a 1995 f53 chassis, 17 k
Old 01-03-2023, 06:25 PM   #13

I used the z36 power stop pads on mine. Turned the front rotors, replaced the rear rotors with OEM Ford rotors purchased from Amazon.
Old 01-04-2023, 07:18 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post
I used the z36 power stop pads on mine. Turned the front rotors, replaced the rear rotors with OEM Ford rotors purchased from Amazon.

MarvinG where did you get your rotors turned at ?

Tags
brake