Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #1

Brake Pressure Differential Switch Threads?

While doing brake work on my 2001 F53 I tried to remove the brake differential pressure switch on the side of the master cylinder and it snapped off leaving the plastic threads in the MC.

I want to use a tap with grease to clear the threads and install the new sensor but I can't figure out what the threads are. I went to the hardware store and a M10 x 1.0 metric nut threads right on but I can't get my M10 x 1.0 tap to start in teh hole so I'm assuming it's not that but something else which is close.

Does anyone know what the threads of that switch actually are?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2022, 04:05 PM   #2

Did you try an easy out ?
K Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 04:20 PM   #3

Is it maybe a pipe (tapered) thread? I really have no idea but I might look into that possibility.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:12 AM   #4

I had the same problem with my brake pressure switch on my 2001 motor home i used a left handed drill bit to slowly drill it out . then cleaned up the threads and installed the new switch
wingingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:39 AM   #5

Can you use something like a small angled pick to work the threads out? Then a Q-Tip to clean any leftover pieces out.
415cid V10 gasser / 6speed / Dana S130 with 5:38's
Towing 2018 F-150 Lariat 213cid V6TT / 10speed / 3:55's
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:53 AM   #6

Thanks for all teh suggestions.

An easy out was teh first thing I tried. The plastic threads are REALLY locked in there. The easy out just ripped teh plastic up so that the threads are basically what is left.

So then I tried a pick with a little success but it's hard to get in there and even harder (impossible without a mirror) to see.

The threads are close to 1/8 NPT but not tapered and as I said, I thought it was 10mmx1.0 but the tap won't start. It's a blind tap so one that's more pointy might work but I really want to verify what this actually is before I actually make things worse. Really don't want to replace the MC...
Old 01-13-2022, 01:41 PM   #7

Buy a new switch and measure the threads.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:29 PM   #8

Jim18655, been there, done that, as I said above.
Old 01-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #9

Use the tap in a random piece of metal you have lying around and see if the new switch will thread in correctly. Just make sure your sample piece is thick enough to get several complete threads.

But I would bet this is not a metric size thread
Old 01-19-2022, 10:09 AM   #10

mack73, thanks that's not a bad idea. Yes I have seen that the older Ford switches are 3/8"-24 and that's pretty close to 10mm so I'm betting that's what it actually is. Need to check with a nut at teh hardware store.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmoonguru View Post
Need to check with a nut at teh hardware store.
Came here to post this idea . Grab the switch and go to home depot and put it in their thread sample thing
Old 01-23-2022, 03:33 PM   #12

mack73, yes tried that too but I don't think they had the 3/8-24 one. It DID fit into the 1/8 NTP (though it seems clear it's not tapered) and 10mmx1.0.

Anyway, I just got it!

It was still about impossible to get the tap in. I had to run a 5/16-20 in & out which cleared more of the plastic. Then I had to get the 3/8-24 started by pushing very hard on the end of it while turning it with a wrench while leaning into the grill opening so my face was directly under the tap so I could make sure it was straight.

It stopped about 1/2 way in so I backed it out and viola! - there was about a 1/2 circle of white plastic threads stuck on the tap! Ran it in & out again (the tap was greased for all this) and was finally able to get the switch in & verify no brake light on - woohoo!

Stupid plastic crap. They shouldn't have something with plastic threads screwed into the side of a master cylinder that's going to stay there for years and then immediately fail at the first attempt to remove it.

Tags
brake, switch