Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brake Service

This is my first question on IRV2. I was just contacted by my local Ford Truck Service center a few minutes ago and told my RV was ready for pickup. I inquired about the cost for the brake fluid change and flush for my 2019 Georgetown 34H5 motorhome. The service guy told me that it would be $1375.00.

To say I was blown away was an understatement. He told me that this was a 7.5 hour job for labor alone and was a very complex procedure to have this service performed.

Am I just not seeing something here or is this an extreme over inflated price to have my brake lines flushed and new brake fluid put in?

I would appreciate any help regarding this situation.
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #2

Brake service

Jedd, this sounds overly expensive to me and am wondering what a guy(s) did for that long. I’m not an expert but the system should not have taken that much fluid. Another reason why it’s important to get an estimate. My Winn. Travato cost 150.00 and only has 4 wheels. Maybe some others will chime in about the cost. Travato John
jl.kauai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #3

Would be interested in his explanation of "complex procedure". Maybe gold plated bleed screws will be added.

May relate to ABS system???

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #4

Chevy trucks had a chamber in the abs valve body that couldn't be bled unless the dealer hooked it to their bleeder which opened and closed valves which purged that chamber. Maybe Ford has the same?
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:51 PM   #5

Even with hooking up expensive machines that let bleeding happen, where does 7 hours if labor come from.

Sounds like each line is removed and flushed.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wonder if he only heard a brake change and interpreted it to mean a brake job? But that would have so many variables I'm surprised he would quote it flat.

Mine in my signature has a 240" wheelbase and I bought 8 pints of fluid and had about one left. My grandson pumped the pedal and filled the reservoir. I think it took about an hour to do. Would have been shorter if I could move faster.

Had some trouble with the LF cylinder and likely why I had to open the last pint.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.kauai View Post
Jedd, this sounds overly expensive to me and am wondering what a guy(s) did for that long. I’m not an expert but the system should not have taken that much fluid. Another reason why it’s important to get an estimate. My Winn. Travato cost 150.00 and only has 4 wheels. Maybe some others will chime in about the cost. Travato John
You are correct and a hard lesson learned. I should have most certainly asked for an estimate but I just couldn't imagine it being over 7 hours of labor to perform something like this.

Not being as smart as I should have really cost me on this one.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:46 PM   #8

It took me about 3 hours to flush brakes on F53 when I had one, installed speed bleeders. Your bill sounds outrageous! (unless there in some new system that complicates the flush but I doubt it…..)
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Even with hooking up expensive machines that let bleeding happen, where does 7 hours if labor come from.

Sounds like each line is removed and flushed.
That would be the only logical explanation. We are getting ready to pick it up so I am going to ask what they did to justify the 7.5 hours labor.

Thank you
Old 11-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
It took me about 3 hours to flush brakes on F53 when I had one, installed speed bleeders. Your bill sounds outrageous! (unless there in some new system that complicates the flush but I doubt it…..)
I agree with you. I think I got taken to the cleaners and I guess I'll be smarter next time by getting an estimate before anything is done.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I wonder if he only heard a brake change and interpreted it to mean a brake job? But that would have so many variables I'm surprised he would quote it flat.

Mine in my signature has a 240" wheelbase and I bought 8 pints of fluid and had about one left. My grandson pumped the pedal and filled the reservoir. I think it took about an hour to do. Would have been shorter if I could move faster.

Had some trouble with the LF cylinder and likely why I had to open the last pint.
I did ask him if he misunderstood and performed a brake change. That's when he told me that flushing and changing the brake fluid was a very complex job and it requires a lot of service hours to complete this.

I am going to ask them when I pick it up to explain what exactly they did.

Thank you
Old 11-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Would be interested in his explanation of "complex procedure". Maybe gold plated bleed screws will be added.

May relate to ABS system???

Inquiring minds want to know.
Maybe it does relate to the ABS system as I never thought about that. I am going to ask what exactly they did to justify the cost.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2021, 04:01 PM   #13

Have him show you the book on that procedure.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #14

There is no way a brake fluid flush takes 7.5 hours of labor. Only if the bleeder at each corner broke off and they had to either drill it out or replace the caliper. Or they did a brake job on your rig to come up with $1375.

The most fluid they would use to flush the system would be 2 quarts of brake fluid. When I would do it on a car it used 1 quart.

I sure hope he misquoted you, like he was looking at someone else’s repair.

Tags
brake, service