Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #1

brakes

How many miles should I get from my brakes? Its a 22k lb chassis and I tow a small car and we always travel light.
bandit2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2018, 06:02 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depends on how you drive it. Lots of hard braking will naturally increase the rate of wear. I'm at 65,000 miles with maybe 1/3 wear on the pads that Ford installed back in 2006. My trick to long brake life is to drive as if my 78 year old Mother is sitting behind me with a sharp stick pointed at the back of my neck so she can poke me whenever she thinks I'm going too fast.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #3

Most brakes last between 50 - 70k miles. I have seen them need replacing at 20k miles and some still good at 100k miles. It all depends on the type of driving and the driver.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:23 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
70-100k depending on how and where you drive.

We do a lot of Rocky Mountain driving, 75k with no problems. but I drive it like a little ole lady and very rarely use brakes.

I did a inspection on the 99 Southwind right after we bought it a year ago, the pads looked brand new and it had 50k miles on it, I'm not sure but I suspect they were replaced just before I bought it.

On my old 2001 Mirada, I put new pads on it at 65k miles, They still had maybe 1/3 life in them, but they were drycracking and brittle. I use Wagnor extreme duty pads on all four axles.

If I don't get to it this year, next year I'll replace the pads and hoses on the 99 Southwind.. cheep piece of mind.. Pads are about $35 an axle, hoses are about $15 each (need 5). repack the bearings at the same time.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most brake jobs on motor homes are age related and not mileage related. Some drivers ride the brakes going down a mountain and glaze the pads. (Or burn them up) In those cases we did brake jobs sooner. Most drivers are smart enough to use the gears and not do that. Most of the time we did brake jobs when the calipers started sticking. That is usually about 12 to 15 years or so. I always opted for 5 new flex lines and all new calipers and pads.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 AM   #6

Thanks Traveler, sounds about right to me. I am or was a heavy equipment operator by trade and have gone down lots of long hills so I stay off the brakes.
bandit2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Calipers will stick and lock up rear brakes enough to overheat and smoke. Check sliders on calibers for grease maintenance. Also check axle seals at that time. Repack front bearings and check for play. Cheap to replace etc.😗
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes