Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #1

Brand new Thor check engine light - thoughts please

Hello all,

First time poster here, first time RVer, you know...a noob.

Anyhow, just picked up our brand new Thor this week from camping world, an F53 chassis V8. We had it delivered from another camping world and it was a hectic experience and we were flustered getting it out of there. Anyhow, I noticed on the way home that there was a check engine light. Sigh.

Finally got my OBD scanner in there yesterday and the code is P0420, something related to the catalytic converter or sensor or something. It's been a PITA finding a Ford dealer to pick up the phone or one that can accommodate this MH, so I'm just waiting to get it figured out.

However, this is the part I'm concerned about and hopefully some of you knowledgeable folks might be able to shed some light. My OBD scanner said the MIL had been activated for 19 miles, which is the exact distance from where we picked it up to my storage facility...so I guess that makes sense. Then it said "distance traveled since DTCs cleared" was 279 miles, which was coincidentally the exact distance from the two camping worlds plus to my storage facility. Now from my understanding, this code P0420 on my scanner said it's a permanent code so I don't think it could be cleared, but what exactly might cause them to clear codes in the other facility (a disconnected battery maybe?) and then the CEL comes on when I pick it up?

It just seems awfully coincidental and I'm afraid I am missing something as a noob, or maybe I'm just being indoctrinated into the RV life as pleasantly as possible

Any thoughts, comments, or insights anyone has would be most appreciated. Thank you!
bubbyboots is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2022, 08:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Catalytic converters are an easy target for thieves, especially under "tall" Class A's. You may want to stick your head under your RV to see if the CC was replaced with a straight pipe or an aftermarket CC.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:02 PM   #3

P0420 OBD-II Trouble Code: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

Yeah...stick your head underneath and see if it's there or has been tampered with.
2016 Chevy Silverado 4x4
NCC-1701A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 09:34 PM   #4

Okay thanks for the help, I will stick my head under there tomorrow and check it out. So theoretically if the check engine light was on when driving home, and there isnít a catalytic converter when I look, that means itís possible I was delivered an RV without a catalytic converterÖ swell!
Old 06-25-2022, 12:52 AM   #5

Most likely the O2 sensor. Maybe the connection is badÖ. Or sensor is bad.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The dealership may have seen the check engine light and cleared the code so that when you picked it up it would look OK. Basically once you leave the lot it's your problem and since they probably don't work on Ford Chassis you'll have to deal with the warranty side of it>>>> Good Luck With That!!!!
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
The dealership may have seen the check engine light and cleared the code so that when you picked it up it would look OK. Basically once you leave the lot it's your problem and since they probably don't work on Ford Chassis you'll have to deal with the warranty side of it>>>> Good Luck With That!!!!
Thanks Iím gonna need it! That was my worst fear, that they knew and concealed it and then I just drove away. Didnít know about them not working on the chassis until I called yesterday so now Iím really pissed, and the dealer that sold it wonít respond to my emails now.

Only seems to be one Ford place around here that services large vehicles. If I canít get through with them (they also wonít return my calls for service so far), I might go nuclear and drive it back to the local camping world and tell them itís their problem since what they did was illegal, or just contact my states AG. I just wish I had more proof other than the obd scanner mileage data. Awfully big coincidence though lol

Thanks for the comment
Old 06-25-2022, 07:43 AM   #8

If this was a brand new coach then I think federal law requires all pollution control devices must be installed in the vehicle and operating properly at the time of Sale.

There is also a warranty requirement for pollution control devices.

Key here is “brand new” and or if the coach had been tampered with.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
If this was a brand new coach then I think federal law requires all pollution control devices must be installed in the vehicle and operating properly at the time of Sale.

There is also a warranty requirement for pollution control devices.

Key here is ďbrand newĒ and or if the coach had been tampered with.
Well itís a 2022, purchased on Tuesday which was its first titling, so I believe it should have been properly working at the time of sale, which is also somewhat troubling because it somehow passed state inspection (VA) before I picked it up.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:17 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I think finding out if the cat was tampered with or removed is first step. Take pictures if it is and start taking detailed notes on who you talk to, when and what was said by dealer, Ford, etc.. you might need it. Make sure if you get it into a Ford dealer you ask them to write down anything they confirm, as well, like if that code was there and reset somehow. Not sure where this will end up going so after the fact is to late to recall everything. Ask for names and their function. Sorry for your troubles I hope it's an easy fix. But I'd go through anything and everything because now you got to wonder what else CW knew about and might've hide. I know you said you were frustrated but did you do a thorough PDI and take it for a ride before bringing it home. Reason I ask is if you did and they refused you might have your answer and make note reasons they wouldn't. JMO please update us if you can.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:18 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I would not assume it was tampered with until you know for sure. It may be as simple as a sensor. We have seen that on new Ford gas chassis used in straight trucks. If you look for designated Ford commercial dealers, there may be another one in your area not too far away. The commercial dealer designation requires then to have larger taller bays to handle big vehicles and more truck specific tools. We have had some luck with a standard Ford dealer being willing to do service /warranty work. But it is up to each whether they will make an appointment for you. Your issue is best repaired by Ford. If the chassis was tampered with, they can document what they found. I would not go back to CW for a chassis related issue. Being this new, I hope it is a quick fix for you and you can start to enjoy your new unit!
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
I think finding out if the cat was tampered with or removed is first step. Take pictures if it is and start taking detailed notes on who you talk to, when and what was said by dealer, Ford, etc.. you might need it. Make sure if you get it into a Ford dealer you ask them to write down anything they confirm, as well, like if that code was there and reset somehow. Not sure where this will end up going so after the fact is to late to recall everything. Ask for names and their function. Sorry for your troubles I hope it's an easy fix. But I'd go through anything and everything because now you got to wonder what else CW knew about and might've hide. I know you said you were frustrated but did you do a thorough PDI and take it for a ride before bringing it home. Reason I ask is if you did and they refused you might have your answer and make note reasons they wouldn't. JMO please update us if you can.
Thanks for the through comment. They were honest about a broken seal in the outdoor kitchen and are having all of that fixed, made me feel like they were being honest. and while we did a thorough walk around, you just made a light bulb go off. I did not test drive it, and they never turned the engine on. They were just doing a courtesy walkthrough with me, the deal itself was technically with the other location. I know Iím silly for not asking, but I assumed (ha) a check engine light would be the last thing to happen.

Will keep you all posted for sure.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
I would not assume it was tampered with until you know for sure. It may be as simple as a sensor. We have seen that on new Ford gas chassis used in straight trucks. If you look for designated Ford commercial dealers, there may be another one in your area not too far away. The commercial dealer designation requires then to have larger taller bays to handle big vehicles and more truck specific tools. We have had some luck with a standard Ford dealer being willing to do service /warranty work. But it is up to each whether they will make an appointment for you. Your issue is best repaired by Ford. If the chassis was tampered with, they can document what they found. I would not go back to CW for a chassis related issue. Being this new, I hope it is a quick fix for you and you can start to enjoy your new unit!
Thank you! Yes I found a commercial ford shop real close by but no luck with calls or emails, I may try in person next week to speak with someone. Hoping they can handle it and Iíll ask them to document everything they find.
Old 06-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #14

Well - since this is a first time owner Sale, I don’t think you have anything to worry about toward getting it fixed. It’s definitely a chassis problem, and I’m making the assumption that the cat was stolen at some point along the way.
CW can get into some bad trouble if the knew the cat was missing and repaired it. I don’t think they would stoop that low, but . . . . .

Keep us posted on what turns out.

Tags
check engine light, engine, light, thor