Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #1

Can a 2018 F-53 24,000 chassis be made into a 26,000???

It is my understanding that by looking "closely at the complete Ford chassis specs, you'll see that the primary (if not only difference) between the 24k/30k and 26k/30k chassis is the rear springs; otherwise they have the same brakes, gear ratios, even the type of steel used in the frame, hence the GVWR difference with the same GCWR. "

Is it possible to add the heavier springs and make your 24,000 into the 26,000 for CCC purposes presuming the wheel base is the same at 228? If so what would something like that cost?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check tbe rear axle specs they may be different
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:16 AM   #3

Daniel-

If it can be done, I'd think it would cost more than what you'll pay the coach manufacturer to build on the 26K chassis in the first place. Plus, you'll get that all-important higher-by-1500-pounds OCCC on the factory sticker, rather than having to explain an aftermarket upgrade to your coach's buyer. Of course, this assumes that the manufacturer offers the option of the chassis upgrade.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting that you ask, as I posted a similar question in January, as I own a Tiffin Allegro on the 24K chassis. And to verify your premise for your question, the 24K and 26K chassis are identical except for higher deflection rate rear leaf springs on the 26K chassis.

In response to my post, I received this response that caused me to pause. The responder stated... "A word of warning. I had 24k springs on my 2016 34TGA gas unit and the PS rear had to be replaced. Big job. Coach was built around the springs with no allowance for wrench clearance or pulling bolts, etc. Red Bay had to remove Propane tank and cut, as in cutting torch, the mud flap support steel to unbolt and remove the old spring. Might be better to look at upgrading the Summosprings to maximum capacity. RB did that too and it made considerable difference, raising the coach 1/2" higher than the stock Summosprings. I know they say not to count the Summo's for load capacity, but they do carry load. You can look on the box and it tells you the load capacity. Think the max unit they put on mine was somewhere around 3000#, Yellow color, heaviest available."

In my case, I am fortunate that I also have SumoSprings installed from the factory, so I'm inclined to stay with the configuration I have. I'm not sure that every MH has the same build process as cited by my responder, but as always, things just are never as simple as they might appear. Please keep us all posted as you do your search for answers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 16_F53_F59.pdf (247.6 KB, 40 views)
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:52 AM   #5

Well it was just a thought.

Can't really understand why a manufacturer wouldn't just give you the simple upgrade when all that is different is the rear springs and most importantly the added CCC? Especially since your willing to pay for it and are already taking the depreciation hit on buying new. Go figure

Daniel
Old 02-04-2018, 12:09 PM   #6

Daniel-

I'm curious. You just ordered a new Bay Star, yes? Did you order it with the 26K chassis?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:44 PM   #7

Haven't ordered yet but did just find out last week that some of my specials weren't approved and that the manufacture has never seen so many specials that were approved on a "Bay Star" before.

I guess that only comes in second to a "Bay Star" buyer actually going to the factory to discuss specials and see the rig. I guess that is usually done by the people buying the upper end models.

Perhaps it is because they supposedly have more orders now so less specials equals more factory like production. The 24,000 is approved but because I plan on going almost full time (10 months a year) I wanted the bigger CCC and 2000 or even 1500 is a BIG difference. I didn't even care what it costs. Just don't like the CS floor plan and they are ALL over 35 feet.

After I finish up on an onslaught of work, in a few weeks, I will be finding a dealer to order. I do like Newmar, the factory and the people. Maybe the dealer can make some magic happen?

Daniel

Tags
chassis