RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #1

Cannot Turn Off Headlights/DRLs on 1997 F53 Chassis

We have a 1997 HR Vacationer on an F53 chassis. It has a Chassis battery cutoff switch and any time that switch is on, regardless of the position of the light switch, ignition switch, dimmer switch, etc. and even with the headlight switch disconnected and all fuses related to the headlights pulled out, the headlights are getting about 8.2v to them and light up.

Also, turning the headlight switch on and changing from high beam to low beam and back does not seem to affect the lights.

We've tried to find the headlight relay referenced in the wiring diagram, but have not found any relays that are marked as having to do with headlights in the owner's manual...plenty of fuses, but no relays.

Does anyone know what might be causing these symptoms and also where on the coach we might find the headlight relay?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Dave
DaveVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have no relay for that.
Sounds like you might have a bad MULTI-FUNCTION switch.
Did you pull fuse #17 in the engine compartment fuse relay box or fuse #5 in the fuse box under the dash?
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:47 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
These types of electrical issues can be very difficult. As you've discovered getting the information is 3/4 of the battle. It is very possible with a unit of that age that a relay contacts are still making a connection when the relay coil has the voltage removed. Because the connection is sticking there's resistance and that's causing the voltage drop and the weak lights.

I don't know where the relays are located either. This much I do know about most relays they are the same within manufacturers. If you spot a bank of relays just pull them one at a time and if the light is on then goes out that's it. When you do this because of the age the relays will be hard to get out. Get yourself a tube of electrical dielectric grease to lube the connectors. It will make it easier to insert, give you a better electrical connection and will also prevent corrosion. Once you find the bad relay you can swap them to verify.

Now where to look?? Well just about all over the place: under the hood, under the dash. They have to be somewhere.

Electrical diagnosis is sometimes a seek and ye shall find game.

I'm a retired teacher so I have to do this.

Why do they use relays??? A relay is a way of using small current carrying wires to activate (turn off & on) a higher current carrying device. Your lights require a bit more current to operate. If you used a normal switch it would soon be burned up because of the high current. So they use small wires to turn on a magnet which closes some higher current carrying contacts and turns on the lights. Relays last a long time. In your case the contacts are burned and it is still stuck together.

Actually once you find some relays feel with your fingers or better yet use an infrared temperature sensing gauge ($20 at HF) to measure the temps of each relay that you spot/find. The one for the lights, since it won't turn off will be a lot hotter than the others. This way you don't have to pull all of them out. Just find the one that's hotter than the rest. Now tap it a few times with the switches off and see if you can't jar it loose. That may work or not. If not just pull it. Then you[ll know.

Looks like I stand corrected. Subford chimed in on this and he knows his stuff when it comes to Fords. The temp gauge will also help. I find it hard to believe there's no relay in the circuit and wouldn't know why but he should know.

Do let us know how it turns out.

TeJay
Old 07-21-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
What diagram are you looking at that shows a relay?

Wiring diagrams for the head lights the 1996 F53, 1997 are the same.

/
Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
subford,
If you'll read the end of post #3 you'll see that I made reference to your knowledge regarding the Ford stuff and your wealth of schematics. I was referring to my time as a teacher almost always seeing a relay in the headlight circuit. As I said, I stand corrected.

TeJay
Old 07-22-2015, 06:40 AM   #6

Bill and TeJay, thank you for your responses and the schematics. That will help a lot.
Yes, we pulled those fuses and the lights stayed on. We were thinking that the relay was getting some stray voltage from somewhere and therefore the lights were coming on when they weren't supposed to. Now we know there's no relay, that thinking will change.

Any way the DRL Module could be the problem? And if so, where might it be located?

I will continue the investigation based on your input and report back in the next day or so on the resolution (hopefully).

Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-22-2015, 07:43 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Disregard diagram 85-1 above as it does not apply to a F53 with DRL.
Yes you are more than likely right that you have a bad DRL module.

/
Old 07-22-2015, 07:57 AM   #8

Thanks Bill.

I'll go see if I can find it. While I purchased the coach in Denver 5 years ago, it may well have been built for the Canadian market.
Dave
Old 07-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #9

PROBLEM SOLVED!
Turns out, I do not have a Canadian model, but in trying to chase the wiring to find the DRL module, I spotted a suspicious blue wire spliced into the power wire coming out of the headlight switch to the headlamps. While I couldn't find where the blue wire went (mystery for another day), I found it was the source of the 8.2v, cut the wire, and all seems to work normally now.
I assume a previous owner tied into that wire to give power to something and it developed a short somewhere. One day I may find something that doesn't work, but for now, I'm ready for my inspection!

Thanks for the diagrams Bill, and the pictures, they helped a lot!
Dave
Old 02-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
What diagram are you looking at that shows a relay?

Wiring diagrams for the head lights the 1996 F53, 1997 are the same.

/
Wondering where you got these diagrams? I would love to have all of them. Looking specifically for turn signals. 1996 f53
isaac W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
isaacW-

A Ford EVTM (Electronic and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) contains those diagrams. You can buy an EVTM on eBay (search for "1996 F53 EVTM").

For the F53 paper manuals are hard to find (and usually expensive). The same eBay search turns up service DVDs. Here is a link to one of them. I have the DVD for my year chassis, and it contains the wiring diagrams.

If "TeJay" chimes in, he may say that you can try convincing a friend at the Ford service desk to part with his old DVDs.

Note: The DVDs are date-specific: You need to set the date of your PC to the date on the DVD (more or less) in order for them to work. And, I could get the DVD to work only on 32-bit Windows, not on 64-bit. "Your mileage may vary."
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as the Ford CD's. Yes you can get them if somebody at the service area didn't just throw them away. Getting the CD's should not be a problem because most of the Techs these days just go on line.

Any CD from 2009 or earlier does not time out. I have a 2009 CD and it's fine. I also have about 5 that are newer and they have all timed out. All CD's after 2009 will time out. WHY?? So the techs who still use CD's can't access information that is outdated.

My Son-In-Law who works in the computer area has told me that changing the date on your PC might effect other programs that require the correct date. He did not recommend it. We have an older laptop that I may charge and see if I can get it to work and change the date so I can use these newer CD's.

TeJay
Old 02-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is the 1996 paper manual:
1996 Ford F53 Motorhome Chassis Electrical Troubleshooting Manual Original

/
Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TeJay-

I'd be interested in what you find. I couldn't get an April 2008 DVD (2006-7 model years) to work unless I set the date on the PC.

Yes, setting the date creates issues with other programs, but so far I haven't seen any real problems that persisted after I set the date back to current. That said, I'm careful not to use any programs other than the Ford DVD when I have the date set to the past.

Not to drag this thread off, but I was able to copy the DVD to the PC's hard disk so I wouldn't have to put the DVD in the reader each time I wanted to use it. And, I can access the DVD that way from my 64-bit Windows desktop PC. If you or someone else is interested in how I did that, send me a private message and I'll share the tools/method. It requires some computer savvy, but not a lot.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53, light, lights