Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2022, 11:04 PM   #15
NXR

As soon as I found out my RV experienced any kind of theft, regardless of where it was, I would be the one calling the cops. They can sort out who did it. If a dealership told me not to call, I'd be calling right then, telling the cop that the dealership said not to call, and wonder if this was an inside job.

Ray
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2022, 06:29 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Marking the converter won't accomplish a lot. 5 seconds with an angle grinder takes care of that. Putting a rebar cage or metal shield around it will slow them down, that's about the best you can do as a preventative.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 11:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
This totally on the dealership. Your motorhome was damaged by their lift and your cat was stolen while in their care.
They should fix the lift damage and replace the cat. They are available.
Ford is giving you back a vehicle that doesn't meet EPA standards.
I don't normally jump to the get a lawyer mode but this might just be a good candidate.
It is the dealerships responsibility.
The insurance company has attorneys, I am certain. If they pay a claim that someone else should have paid, they will go after them on your behalf, and at no cost to you.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:44 PM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Not doing a test pipe. My garage stunk for a day just after backing in the RV in when I got it home on Tuesday.

Fix should happen next week.
PartyBoyWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #19

I painted mine and etched my license plate number onto it. If it ever gets stolen, I'll just straight pipe it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat resized pic.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	355929  
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:14 PM   #20

I had a problem with a well known battery company a few years back.. the manager just blew me off when I complained. I jumped on the most heavily followed site on Twitter (I think it was one of the political parties) and complained about it. Corporate across the country must have seen it because they and the owner were very quick to make things right.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 10:46 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Stolen cat

I just went thru this exact exercise. Thugs took my Cat. Got them on video doing it along with the 6 others. Video not good enough to get any real help. Ended up just straight piping the thing. Mine is a 06 F53 Chassis. All the 02 sensors are north of the cat so it throws no codes and runs just fine. I would be very disappointed with the dealer. I would let them know how disappointed. File with insurance and move on. I hate dirtbags. And if you steal you are a dirtbag to me!
Ledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:35 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Angry

Post a 'review', of dealership, everywhere you can. Especially the BBB.
Cpl Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
It's not the dealer's fault. Even if you didn't sign an estimate that made clear that they aren't liable for any damage or theft on your rig while awaiting repairs, it's still not their fault. (And you probably signed an estimate that said that very thing. While standing under a sign that also said that very thing.) That doesn't make it your fault either though. File a claim with your insurance. They're probably used to seeing claims for cats at this point. If they see it otherwise, they can follow up with the dealer or deny the claim. When you put the new one on, use an anti-theft device and/or paint.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:42 AM   #24
US1

I am not following the paint thought. is that to say scrap yards can't buy painted cats? What to prevent the thiefs from spray painting the cats a silver or galvanized color to cover up your paint?
Old 02-11-2022, 10:38 PM   #25

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl Ed View Post
Post a 'review', of dealership, everywhere you can. Especially the BBB.
I would…. Except they knocked about $1,400/~33% off my bill and said sorry.

But I’ll also never go back there.

As far as I’m concerned, knocking that much off the work implies responsibility. My insurance company can close loop on that one if they want to.
Old 02-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #26

Triple E Owners Club
I like the idea of painting it he new cat. Probably pink. With glitter.

It’s is unlikely this will happen to me again. So, I won’t put too much effort into theft prevention since the risk is so low.

What provided the opportunity this time was the duration of time it spent in the back lot with little lighting and a fence that was not continuous.

For background, I called in early December 21 to schedule the work. Got an appointment to drop off on the 20th. It then sat for nearly 30 days because the only bay they had that was large enough for an RV broke. I’d call every week and they would tell me they’d be getting to work on it in a few days every time. They should have just told me to come get it and bring it back when they had the availability. I told them up front I was in no rush. But, no. They were not honest with me. Strung me along. And vastly increased the likelihood of theft. Sign or release or tattoo on my arm disavowing them of any responsibility, they created the opportunity for the criminals. Don’t buy that? Look up Garage Keepers insurance and ask yourself why states require it for a business license.
Old 02-12-2022, 05:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
I did some further searching and found a MagnaFlow from a 1999 E-350 with a v10 and came up with this....

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/5...ytic-converter

It sure looks like the oem one that was on mine. If I have emissions problems I may try it.
I’m not real sure I would replace the cat with something that looked like a cat - but that’s just me (the bums that steal would steal the fake one just as quickly - assuming there is no downstream O2 sensor or state requirement that the cat be there, just pipe it straight).

And i too question what painting the cat does, other than pointing out to the bums where the cat is. The bums who take the painted cat, assuming they have a conscience, will just think “my, that’s a pretty cat”. Otherwise - what am I missing here?
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 07:07 AM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
I’m not real sure I would replace the cat with something that looked like a cat - but that’s just me (the bums that steal would steal the fake one just as quickly - assuming there is no downstream O2 sensor or state requirement that the cat be there, just pipe it straight).

And i too question what painting the cat does, other than pointing out to the bums where the cat is. The bums who take the painted cat, assuming they have a conscience, will just think “my, that’s a pretty cat”. Otherwise - what am I missing here?

Painting it or otherwise marking it shows any potential buyer that it's stolen. If the thief can't sell it, there's no point in taking it.

Tags
cat, dealer, ford, service