RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Catalytic converter replacement

Hi all, Not new to the forum but browse around all the time.Hope everyone is healthy and being careful out there. On to the question...where is the best place to obtain an exact replacement for my stolen catalytic converter. Ford F53 chassis, V10 engine with a winnebago vista 31be riding on top. Ford truck dealer? winnebago? Seems someone needed mine and several others at the old storage lot last night. also would need the attached sensor and wire assembly as they didn't take the time to do a neat job of disconnecting it. Guess they were in a hurry. haha dave
Grampy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #2

Rock auto has a replacement for $171.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:14 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Rock auto has a replacement for $171.
Thanks F4Gary, I will check that out today. Any other experiences like mine out there and what was yours or Someone you know experiences
Old 01-18-2021, 08:29 AM   #4

If your state dies smog checks call a place that does them first.

In ca they now check part number on converter to confirm correct.

Has to do with theft, if correct not likely stolen.

This matters as you need exact fit converter and not generic fit.
Old 01-18-2021, 11:34 PM   #5

We have a 2019 F53 chassis (with a Jayco on top). Our catalytic converter was cut out of the exhaust at 4am on a Sunday evening while the RV was parked in a side yard... I had it replaced at a local muffler shop that handles commercial vehicles and had to buy the O2 sensor from the local Ford dealer (that handles commercial trucks). Your dealer should be able to recommend shops as itís unlikely that they do that kind of work themselves.
hartlenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If your state dies smog checks call a place that does them first.

In ca they now check part number on converter to confirm correct.

Has to do with theft, if correct not likely stolen.

This matters as you need exact fit converter and not generic fit.
He lives in SC so he can go with a "Federal" compliant vs a "C.A.R.B." compliant.
Saves him about $1000.
CARB is needed for Kalifornia and I think Colorado and NY, depending on the model year.
Old 01-21-2021, 07:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Hi F4gary, seems the one on rock auto for $171 you have to ship your old defective one and they copy it into a new one. Am I right or missing something? That’s what it says when you click on the info button. Since mine was stolen I can’t do that.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:02 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
We have a 2019 F53 chassis (with a Jayco on top). Our catalytic converter was cut out of the exhaust at 4am on a Sunday evening while the RV was parked in a side yard... I had it replaced at a local muffler shop that handles commercial vehicles and had to buy the O2 sensor from the local Ford dealer (that handles commercial trucks). Your dealer should be able to recommend shops as itís unlikely that they do that kind of work themselves.
Thanks Hartlenb, looks like it may be my only option
Old 01-21-2021, 09:49 AM   #9

Don't you have comprehensive coverage on your insurance? I had the cat's stolen out of my Toyota Tundra a few years back and they covered it minus the deductable. My recommendation go OEM. File a claim and take it to Ford. On my MH I had the cat fail under warranty. The F53 has a really big cat and in researching found it difficult to find an aftermarket unit with an adequate GVWR rating. In the end Ford replaced it at no cost. Ford most definitely does this kind of work. They will replace the damaged pipes and missing components with OEM parts. Of course in your case Ford would not cover the cost but your insurance should.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampy Dave View Post
Thanks Hartlenb, looks like it may be my only option
If you do not need to pass a sniffer test...
I would find a used cat, gut it and weld it in.
If I had to buy a new replacement, I would still gut it before install. Some exhaust shops will do this for you, they just cannot legally remove and gut a cat. Good luck.
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
If you do not need to pass a sniffer test...
I would find a used cat, gut it and weld it in.
If I had to buy a new replacement, I would still gut it before install. Some exhaust shops will do this for you, they just cannot legally remove and gut a cat. Good luck.
Not so easy with the newer rigs. There's a downstream O2 sensor that will throw a code if the cat is gutted. Yes there are spoofing techniques but most are quirky at best.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
My recommendation go OEM. File a claim and take it to Ford.
Iíd check with insurance first before filing a claim (unless you have no option). I spoke with our agent (whom I trust) and she said that for some reason theft claims had the heaviest hit on the insured. I donít know if this is all carriers or specific to ours (Allstate). And for what itís worth; Ford in AZ said it would cost ~ $2500 and would be at least 3 weeks until they could get me in AND I had to leave the RV with them to get in line. The local shop (heavy trucks) did it for $1270 and I put the O2 sensor in for $30. Not OEM but itís working.
hartlenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:00 AM   #13

Take it to a muffler shop they should be able to handle what ever is needed.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlenb View Post
Iíd check with insurance first before filing a claim (unless you have no option). I spoke with our agent (whom I trust) and she said that for some reason theft claims had the heaviest hit on the insured. I donít know if this is all carriers or specific to ours (Allstate). And for what itís worth; Ford in AZ said it would cost ~ $2500 and would be at least 3 weeks until they could get me in AND I had to leave the RV with them to get in line. The local shop (heavy trucks) did it for $1270 and I put the O2 sensor in for $30. Not OEM but itís working.
Don't know in the OP's state but in CA comprehensive claims do not influence your rate. Before we all argue about this it's the law in CA and been discussed at length in other threads. The cat alone from Ford is ~$1900 + any other parts + labor = $$$$. Replacing two cats and all the associated components on my Tundra ran about $4500. After experiencing a failed OEM cat on my F53 and the effects it had on performance I'd be leary of an aftermarket cat. Tough decision but if it were me assuming insurance coverage I'd go with OEM.

Tags
ace, cat, converter, replace, replacement