Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Centering steering wheel

Took my rig to a Ford dealer to have an alignment done. When I picked it up, they said it was ok but had swapped the front tires. It does drive better now. One thing is that the steering wheel is not centered. They did tell me that they could fix it, but it would require disconnecting the gearbox, or something like that. I didn't do that but now I am considering it. I just didn't like having the steering wheel off center. Has anyone else had to do that? The rig does go straight and does not pull to either side.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #2

My 2000 is the same way. Ford provides no way to easily center the steering wheel on the F53 chassis.
Bothered me too. I pulled the steering wheel to get it centered.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Either pull the steering wheel or pull off the splined shaft / u-joint at the top of the steering box, and adjust as needed.
Jagtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #4

I can't figure what swapping the front tires would accomplish. Mine had to have an alignment that even my Ford dealer with a light truck shop couldn't do. The truck shop could adjust the toe, but on mine the caster was off. It would run right off the road if I didn't actively steer to the left all the time. My dealer subbed the job out to a shop that could do the caster adjustment.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #5

[QUOTE=JacknKay;1129012]Took my rig to a Ford dealer to have an alignment done. When I picked it up, they said it was ok but had swapped the front tires. It does drive better now. One thing is that the steering wheel is not centered. They did tell me that they could fix it, but it would require disconnecting the gearbox, or something like that. I didn't do that but now I am considering it. I just didn't like having the steering wheel off center. Has anyone else had to do that? The rig does go straight and does not pull to either side.[/QUOT
Yes I took mine to a Bear alignment center for trucks. Told them I wanted a front end alignment and to straighten out the steering wheel. They did but had to do it with the steering box. Went as far as they could but it came out alright. F-53 Chassis
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
Took my rig to a Ford dealer to have an alignment done. When I picked it up, they said it was ok but had swapped the front tires. It does drive better now. One thing is that the steering wheel is not centered. They did tell me that they could fix it, but it would require disconnecting the gearbox, or something like that. I didn't do that but now I am considering it. I just didn't like having the steering wheel off center. Has anyone else had to do that? The rig does go straight and does not pull to either side.
Recentering the steering wheel is something that has to be done after aligning a Ford F53 front end. Ford even issued a bulletin on how to do it back in 1999.
QVM Bulletin No. Q-59 Date: September 18, 1998
F53 MOTOR HOME CHASSIS CLEAR VISION AND ALIGNMENT POLICY CHANGE.

Here's a link to the Bulletin: https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q59.PDF

Essentially the steering wheel needs to be removed and recentered. Unlike the Workhorse chassis there is only 1 adjustment for setting the tow in. If it has to be changed the steering wheel will be moved off center. The Clear Vision bulletin details how to remove and recenter the steering wheel.

Not only does the bulletin detail how to recenter the steering wheel it also specifically warns against disconnecting the linkage at the gear box.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #7

I have a 2004 f53 chassis. I just did the steering wheel. I took the bolt out of the input shaft on top of the steering box. I put a screw driver in the slot and hammered it in enough to open the slit and was able to get the yoke off and on. After getting it off I just turned the wheel and had my DW hold it still while I put the yoke back on. With the yoke removed the steering wheel would just spin. Everything is fine now.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
I have a 2004 f53 chassis. I just did the steering wheel. I took the bolt out of the input shaft on top of the steering box. I put a screw driver in the slot and hammered it in enough to open the slit and was able to get the yoke off and on. After getting it off I just turned the wheel and had my DW hold it still while I put the yoke back on. With the yoke removed the steering wheel would just spin. Everything is fine now.
That's what I did, too. Its a good idea to re-torque that clamp bolt after a short time, just to be safe.
Jagtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering