Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 10:14 PM   #1

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Centramatics on 19.5 Duals

I'm experiencing some vibration that seems to be coming from the rear. I experienced it on the original tires and as well on on the new ones which were installed in July. I have zero vibration in the front or at least none felt in the steering wheel.
Has anyone else with 19.5 duals experienced vibration and did installing Centramatics resolve it? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #2

vibration

The last time I had my motorhome inspected I told them I had a slow leak in the outside dual wheel . I picked up the MH and started down the road and immediately noticed a vibration that was not there before. Took a little detective work on my part as they said they didn't pull the wheels for inspection but after I checked the tires they had aired the tires up to 110 lbs, I dropped then down to 80 which is what I run and the vibration went away
tiffy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:46 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only thing centramatics will resolve are slight imbalances. Anything strong enough to be felt from the rear is likely more than a slight imbalance. Having chased subtle and not so subtle vibration issues on just about every vehicle I've owned in my life it comes down to just how bad ($) you want to fix it.

First thing I would try is to move wheels around to see if the trouble moves with them. Not easy on an RV but it eliminates some of the variables. In so doing you also make sure if you have lug centered rims that they're being properly fitted and torqued. Of all the issues I've had only once was the problem not a rim and/or a tire. You can perfectly balance a wonky tire or rim so don't expect it will be as simple as a "rebalance".

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:41 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have installed many of these balancers at our shop. They always worked well. If you go on their site, you will find that they advise that the tires do not have to be balanced before installation of the balancers. According to their website, the balancers will work without pre balancing unless the tire or the rim is bad. Nowhere does it say they only balance slightly out of balance tires
This is my fifth motorhome and I have used centramatic balancers on the last four. They have worked well for me and all my customers.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
We have installed many of these balancers at our shop. They always worked well. If you go on their site, you will find that they advise that the tires do not have to be balanced before installation of the balancers. According to their website, the balancers will work without pre balancing unless the tire or the rim is bad. Nowhere does it say they only balance slightly out of balance tires
This is my fifth motorhome and I have used centramatic balancers on the last four. They have worked well for me and all my customers.
Thanks, I plan to put them on next time I have it at a tire shop
Bylandorsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #6

Put them on my 19.5's front and rear duals when I had vibration from the factory and wanted to try a DIY solution. They did improve the vibration some but was still very noticeable, ended up taking it to competent dealer (Gator Ford) for EVM measurements and index and Road Force balance which they where able to get all but one tire into spec, that last tire would need to be replaced to fix and by then out of warranty. Huge improvement though basically no left vibration I can feel.

Should have taken to dealer who actually has the right equipment first and get a good balance first might not have needed to bother with Centramatics, although I do still like that I have them and do know they can improve dynamic balance, easy to install I did it myself without much trouble since 19.5's are manageable.
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:51 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Put them on my 19.5's front and rear duals when I had vibration from the factory and wanted to try a DIY solution. They did improve the vibration some but was still very noticeable, ended up taking it to competent dealer (Gator Ford) for EVM measurements and index and Road Force balance which they where able to get all but one tire into spec, that last tire would need to be replaced to fix and by then out of warranty. Huge improvement though basically no left vibration I

Should have taken to dealer who actually has the right equipment first and get a good balance first might not have needed to bother with Centramatics, although I do still like that I have them and do know they can improve dynamic balance, easy to install I did it myself without much trouble since 19.5's are manageable.
Appreciate the feedback. Part of the problem is that it's do hard to find service for motorhome or large tires that you can trust to do the job correctly.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:02 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Appreciate the feedback. Part of the problem is that it's do hard to find service for motorhome or large tires that you can trust to do the job correctly.
You hit the nail right on the head with that one! Many people on this forum think that dealers donít care. They do care. When I was service manager, I many times had to run to other dealers for a part we needed immeadiatly. Every dealership I went to the manager or owner came out and offered me a job. That is not the problem. The problem is finding anyone that wants to work out in the heat and cold, in cramped quarters, for the same money, as someone in a office with a computer and a coke machine and air conditioner.
I am 81 years old diabetic, with leukemia and chronic shingles and still work at a garage when they get a motorhome in.
I know what the problem is, I just wish I knew the answer.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
Gator Ford is on I4 across from Lazydays east of Tampa which is not too far a drive from St Augustine, might be worth it to have them investigate and do a balance and index. They seem to deal with F53 vibrations a lot and had the right equipment and skills to track it down and fix.

This was a few years ago but they treated me very well at a reasonable price, don't see many Ford Dealers with a dedicated RV service page:

https://www.gatorford.com/motor-home...-rv-tampa.html
jharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 11:28 PM   #10

Gator Ford Parts Department is excellent

It is hard to get some parts now due to the virus. But Gator Ford found me some parts by looking at other chassis doing a MacGyver.
Boydoo is offline   Reply With Quote