Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That's stupid to have no maintenance. Do a fluid exchange, not a forced flush.
I changed my 4R100 for the first time at 300k miles. Still good 42k later.
Impressive miles out of that 4R100.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrob View Post
Chuck, I don't see where James mentions the filter at all. Dwight thanks for the suggestion to add a signature. Guys I am still confused about this. I follow the Ford Service Guide severe duty schedule for my chassis (1998 Econoline). At the 30k mile intervals which most of you are referring to it (the severe duty schedule) states the following;

"Change automatic transmission fluid (except E4OD transmissions, E4OD transmissions have no normally scheduled fluid change requirements).

I have 130k miles on my coach with no engine or trans problems except a shredded serpentine belt at 72k, therefore I am very reluctant to go against the Service Guide recommendations. Maybe, as stated by a previous poster, it is best just to "let sleeping dogs lie". If changing fluid on this trans is not required (or even recommended) think of all the wasted trans fluid, let alone the wasted money involved.
I also read that in the owners guide. I do not understand why Ford says this. In the F53 manual which the transmission is the same, every 30K. Im pretty sure the superduty is the same but I have to look that up also.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #31

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Change it. Automatic trannys are the weakest link and very costly when they fail. I change mine at the start of the travel season regardless of miles..Overkill? Yup, but have experienced tranny failures and rebuilds. Google E4OD failures.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #32

That's stupid to have no maintenance. Do a fluid exchange, not a forced flush.
I changed my 4R100 for the first time at 300k miles. Still good 42k later.

Jesilvus,
What kind of language is that to use? Is it stupid to follow the Ford Owner's Guide?
Are you saying that I am stupid or that the Ford engineer's are stupid? Please don't use words like that. There are much more tactful ways of saying things without needlessly offending others.
Delrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #33

I don't see why that offended you. The act of not performing maintenance on a vehicle is "detrimental."
It can be "detrimental" to follow the Ford owner guide sometimes, yes. Look at maintenance on the 6.0. Their maintenance schedule/recommendations were "detrimental."
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #34

Quote:
I don't see why that offended you. The act of not performing maintenance on a vehicle is "detrimental."
It can be "detrimental" to follow the Ford owner guide sometimes, yes. Look at maintenance on the 6.0. Their maintenance schedule/recommendations were "detrimental."
Agreed. The no maintenance on this transmission on this specific application does puzzle me because it requires service in all other applications. Another thing to remember is when the maintenance schedule is made, they try to push is as far back as possible to give the owner that "low cost of ownership". Big advancements have been made with fluids, engines, and transmissions but I think they are still pushed to far.

I think the 6.0L needs oil changes more often than the 7500 miles the guide says and the coolant is a big thing that should have been more often also.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 James on the manufacturers pushing the oil and coolant changes further out. I don't buy into the five year coolant, especially with aluminum engines component's that have contact with the coolant. I change the coolant in all my vehicles every three years. In between the changes I add Red Line Wetter Water annually to boost the coolant, does it help I think it does, at least it makes me feel good. I do need to clarify my last post. In the post I agreed with you about the 30K trans fluid change and included the filter change. I should have made it clear that the filter change at 30K is my thinking and was not including in your post. Delrob, I apologize for not making that clear. My feelings are if your going to drain and refill the fluid, that is a good time to drop the pan and inspect it for any debris and change the filter. As you know you can tell a lot about the condition of the trans by what you find in the pan.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
X2 James on the manufacturers pushing the oil and coolant changes further out. I don't buy into the five year coolant, especially with aluminum engines component's that have contact with the coolant. I change the coolant in all my vehicles every three years. In between the changes I add Red Line Wetter Water annually to boost the coolant, does it help I think it does, at least it makes me feel good. I do need to clarify my last post. In the post I agreed with you about the 30K trans fluid change and included the filter change. I should have made it clear that the filter change at 30K is my thinking and was not including in your post. Delrob, I apologize for not making that clear. My feelings are if your going to drain and refill the fluid, that is a good time to drop the pan and inspect it for any debris and change the filter. As you know you can tell a lot about the condition of the trans by what you find in the pan.

Chuck

If you have a torqueshift transmission with an external trans filter, it does need to be changed every 30K. I totally agree, removing the pan is an excellent why of checking for any abnormal wear.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #37

I did a power flush on my 95 e4od when i bought it used and have had 0 problems. I'll do it again next year at 20thousnad mile interval beacause it's just cheap insurance. dropping the pan changes 1/2 your fluid, ford isn't gm so tha comparison is moot, its gonna cost you $50-75 in fluid , get a dealer to do it for the extra 60 bucks.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlott2k View Post
I did a power flush on my 95 e4od when i bought it used and have had 0 problems. I'll do it again next year at 20thousnad mile interval beacause it's just cheap insurance. dropping the pan changes 1/2 your fluid, ford isn't gm so tha comparison is moot, its gonna cost you $50-75 in fluid , get a dealer to do it for the extra 60 bucks.
What was the comparison to a GM transmission. I don't remember seeing that.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #39

Quote:
If you take it to a shop, don't let them do a power flush. Bad things can happen to your trans when the trans is power flushed. I had a GM dealer tell me they do not do power flushing, because of problems they have had with transmissions after the flush. If your torque converter does not have a drain plug, this is what I do. Let the rig sit overnight, drain and refill the trans, drive or let it run for a while, after sitting overnight again do the same thing. Do this a least twice three times is better, or until you have added the amount fluid the trans holds for a complete fill. Change the filter before the last refill. It take a little time to do the change way, but you will have a compete fluid change when your finished. letting the rig sit overnight allows some of the fluid drain from the converter.

Chuck Boone
this is the post I was refencing re: gm trannys.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I won't let anyone, Ford dealer or not to use a back flushing machine on my 4R100.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #41

Quote:
I won't let anyone, Ford dealer or not to use a back flushing machine on my 4R100.

Chuck
Don't use a back flush machine, no one advocated that.
Use a fluid replacement machine.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Don't use a back flush machine, no one advocated that.
Use a fluid replacement machine.
You are correct, totally different process. I was responding to rlott2k post that referenced a previous post I made about pressure back flushing the trans. He stated he had his e40d power flushed. I was just restating that would not let anyone back flush my 4R100 trans.

Chuck

Tags
fluid