Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 04:25 AM   #1

changing coolant

whats the easiest way to change the f53 coolant
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #2

I try to do most maintenance items on coach but flushing the coolant, brakes and transmission I take it to ford. It is actually very reasonable if you shop around. I last used the Ford dealer in Lake Havasu for a coolant flush I believe it was around 130.00. Again shop around prices really vary.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:07 AM   #3

but the ford dealers in md are a worthless bunch when it comes to rvs. anything major ,i would have to take it pa, which might be 100 mile trip, and i still don't trust them
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
There may still be a few radiator shops around. I do realize with the advent of aluminum and plastic parts on radiators some of the radiator repair shops have gone under. I would think if you could find one they would be into the flushing part of radiator service because they are not soldering as many radiators as they did 20 years ago. You don't need any additional special equipment to service an RV over a pickup truck or even a car. I had a shop with the automatic flushing system do my radiator and the transmission. They pulled my RV up to the garage door and just wheeled the equipment outside. They do a lot of that type of service work outside and you don't need a lift.

Most large truck repair facilities that can do that type of service will shy away from a MH because of lack of space and fear that somebody will scratch a MH or get grease on the carpet. Just talk to them and tell them that you will let them work on it outside and you'll stay with the coach and make sure nothing happens to it.

I have a student that is running his Dad's semi tanker truck repair facility. He told me if he can't lift the hood and walk into the engine compartment he won't work on it. They don't worry about paint scratches, grease on the upholstery or carpet.

Yep I know about the MD area. My Son and family lived there for 10 years on the Eastern shore (Grasonville). They had a difficult time finding repair facilities for their truck. They just moved back out to LA. Ugh, not much better.

TeJay
Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I did my 99 I used the 1" hose that goes from the bottom of the recovery bottle to the bottom tank of the radiator to drain it. It's easier to control then the larger hose to catch the used coolant. I replaced all the hoses and thermostat at the same time. The engine block will still contain some coolant. To get it out, it can be done two ways, 1. Refill with DI water run the engine till the thermostat opens, let it cool and drain, I did that twice. 2. If your replacing the thermostat flush the block with a hose while the thermostat is out. I don't like to have tap water in my engine so I always flush it with DI water. The block will have DI water in it so I use concentrated coolant for refilling.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote