Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The V10 takes about 6qts of 5W20 (at least that is what the 2008 takes), filter is Motorcraft FL820S, Fram PH2, etc.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #16

Thanks for the info. Looks like it will be easy enough to find filters.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:55 AM   #17

I do my own oil and lube on the Ford V-10, so simple and you will do it right. However, chances are your RV dealer is going to take your coach down to the Ford dealer for service and up charge you for it. They all do that around this neck of the woods.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterby760 View Post
I am a relatively new owner of a 2005 Damon Challenger. I am probably overdue on Lube, Oil & Filter change. My question is whether I should be going to a Ford dealer (which our nearby dealer advertises that he services Ford Chassis Motor Homes, or go to the local RV dealer who also advertises he supports Damon Motor Homes. My coach has the Ford V-10 gasser. Distance to dealers is almost identical, so not an issue. If there are other options (other than Do It Yourself) I would like to hear them also.
Appreciate your advice.
Rich
Here is a question, Do you know any mechanics? For the Chassis made by Ford, I take mine to a neighbor, who is a mechanic by trade, and he does work out of his home, or more precisely his barn. The only time I might take it to a Ford dealer is for recalls, or repairs only they can make.

For the RV itself, I do what I can. For what is out of my league or something I physically can't do I go to an RV dealer.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
I carry 5-6 quarts of motorcraft 5-20 syn.and an oil filter. Both purchased at Wallyworld. When it's time for a change, I go to the nearest truck stop . I've never paid more than $40.00 to have them change the oil, filters, and lube the chassis.

I've done that for 58,000 miles ( about 12 oil changes.)

Cliff
Kinda like taking eggs and bacon to a resturant and saying here fix me breakfast.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie n Tara View Post
FWIW I use the local Quiklube for oil and filter changes (not for repair work). The cost w/ Mobile one 5W20 is on the close order of $160 for oil filters and lube for the both genset and vehicle. I suspect that ford will approach twice this. One caveat; I am experienced with vehicle repair (I used to own a service station - even worked on a couple of MH's).
Ernie
I used a "Quick Lube" once, unfortunately for me they were so quick that when they were done the next time I had my oil changed it took over 4 hours and a rear differential oil change before I was out of the garage They so over torqued the rear differential plug that the real mechanics had to resort to cooking the diff with a torch before the plug would come out.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I do have a question for all that swear by synthetic oils.

What has a certain purple synthetic oil have over the other ones that makes it worth 4 or 5 times as much as some of the others?

Seems to me that when you pay that much more you are really paying for the warranty. Am I wrong?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #22
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I would always go the Ford dealer.

They are geared for Ford work and the RV dealer is geared for RV work.

I believe any work done at one Ford dealer will be warranted by any other Ford dealer.
Ditto!
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #23

I went to the Ford Dealer here in Sunrise FL and paid $45 and they used their oil and filter. I paid $70 at CW but they gave me a full safety check and air in the tires which was a value to me. My Ford dealer also fixed a minor problem with my emergency brake for free so they earned my continued support.
Denis
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #24

Well today I purchased 6 quarts of Synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 filter for $39 at Walmart. Easy enough to change the oil myself.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I would always go the Ford dealer.

They are geared for Ford work and the RV dealer is geared for RV work.

I believe any work done at one Ford dealer will be warranted by any other Ford dealer.
Yup!
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote