Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 PM   #2787

Ford Super Duty Owner
RC,
Looks real good. How much longer are they than stock?? I'm working on a few other MODS as we speak. Tomorrow I think I'll pull the links off and run into town to the Vo-Tech to see if I can get some chrome-moly tubing to fit over the 1/2" iron pipe so I can extend the links to get the bar close to level. I think that's the best thing to do. I sure don't want the front bushing to wear out sooner than necessary.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:59 AM   #2788

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Tejay,sorry to hear about the passing of Dunner. I will buy those additional MM sockets if need be. My concern is the tension on the sway bar. Will I need some sort of jack to reposition anything to get it to that inner hole position?
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 AM   #2789

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVader View Post
Thanks Tejay,sorry to hear about the passing of Dunner. I will buy those additional MM sockets if need be. My concern is the tension on the sway bar. Will I need some sort of jack to reposition anything to get it to that inner hole position?
I used the scissor jack from my CRV to move the bar into alignment. Very easy really.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:03 AM   #2790

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Pretty sure 15 and 18 mm is what you need. You may need a hydraulic jack or sissors jack as mentioned above if the coach is not level or or a slight bind to get the opposite side of the Sway bar to connect. So if you can look and see which side is shortest and connect it first because the second side will be easy if you only have to place jack under it and jack up to insert bolt, different story if you connect it backwards and need to bring the opposite end of sway bar DOWN to get bolt in. Hope that made sense
Old 04-15-2015, 06:06 AM   #2791

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
RC,
Looks real good. How much longer are they than stock?? I'm working on a few other MODS as we speak. Tomorrow I think I'll pull the links off and run into town to the Vo-Tech to see if I can get some chrome-moly tubing to fit over the 1/2" iron pipe so I can extend the links to get the bar close to level. I think that's the best thing to do. I sure don't want the front bushing to wear out sooner than necessary.

TeJay
Tejay not sure if the lenghts are the same from frame to frame but I have the F53 and I had to make my links 14"
Old 04-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #2792

Ford Super Duty Owner
Knightab,
I lengthened mine I believe to 11 or 12" so I'm probably still 2" short of being level. I've already had them extended using the 1/2" pipe. I'd like to find some CM tubing that I can just slip over the pipe and re-weld. I don't want to cut the bushing rings off and have to start all over. I'll stop at our local Vo-Tech and see if I can scrounge some CM tubing. They'll probably be glad to help me.

Thanks,
TeJay
Old 04-15-2015, 07:54 AM   #2793

Ford Super Duty Owner
RattVader,
The only reason there might be any tension on the bar is if the coach is not level. If it's level nothing is going to spring off and hurt you in any way. I looked at that the first time and thought the same thing. What's going to happen when I take these bolts out.

Knightab's recommendations are spot on. Experience is always the best teacher. Put the wrong end on first and you're pulling the sway bar down to get it lined up. Put the other side on first and the jack just pushes it into place. I think that's called working smart not hard.

TeJay
Old 04-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #2794

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tejay,bdickson,knightab,thanks again. She is currently sitting level on a very nice concrete pad with the jacks DOWN. I will assume the jacks should be raised? as this may change the angle of attack,so to speak?
Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #2795

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are level and the pad is flat it's your choice if you want to lower or have the jacks raised. Sometimes the bolt for the links is blocked from coming out by the leaf spring. You'll just have to check it.

One thing I did when I took the bolts out of the sway bar. I used a phillips screwdriver and lightly tapped it into the bolt hole and pushed the bolt out. The phillips SD took the place of the bolt so nothing could move much. That might give you a little more confidence that nothing is going to fall apart. Once any possible tension on the links was released I just pulled the SD's out and all was well.

I am setting in my drive which has about a 2" slope for water run-off. So if my coach is off the jacks it leans. I just took my links loose on the fronts with the jacks down, there's more working room, and the coach is level. There was no problem. After I got all four bolts loose on the links I lowered the coach (jacks up) so I could check the length of my already extended links. There was no problem. I could move the sway bar by pushing up or pulling down. I leveled the sway bar and my links which are 13" center of hole to center of hole is just about level. Maybe the links could be extended another 1/2" but the time and trouble for that is not worth it. I'm good to go.
Good luck with your's. I'm sure you'll get er done.

TeJay
Old 04-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #2796

Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay fronts only done,no add on links of any sort. Just the quick(well for some) cheap handling fix. Took me about an hour after I rounded everything up...and yes you do need even on level ground a means to push that sway bar up!!!! Found a small scissors jack that was perfect. Now I'm expecting one of two things. 1. The handling is so greatly improved I will have thought I bought a KingAire with comfort drive or 2. I will find myself off in a ditch somewhere..with the headlights searching the heavens for a sign!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 01:06 PM   #2797

Ford Super Duty Owner
I will let you know by Sunday if it was 1. or 2.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:45 PM   #2798

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
or 2. I will find myself off in a ditch somewhere..with the headlights searching the heavens for a sign!!!
Flashback
Way back in the 50's I was headed down a country road late at night and drove by deep ditch with what looked like headlights pointed straight up. Turned around, stopped and pulled a very confused young girl out of her upside down car, unhurt, and took her home.
I guess she had found her sign.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #2799

Ford Super Duty Owner
Old 04-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #2800

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
RC,

TeJay
TeJay,

To get the bar back to level, I had to adjust the links to 12 1/2'' long (bolt to bolt). The links can adjust up to 14" long.

RC

2017 Coachmen Cross Country 407FW
rcarpe06 is offline   Reply With Quote