Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #925

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Getting ready to install the fix this weekend. I bought a pair of Hellwig adjustable links for the front. I've read that some people move the old front links to the back to keep the back bar at the same angle. Is this worth doing? Just eyeballing the rear bar, it looks like moving the existing link to the other hole will make very little difference in the angle.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:49 AM   #926

I can say that my rear sway bar hits my diff when the jacks are fully extended, but if that ever occurs, I think I would have something other than the bar hitting the diff to worry about.

I may move mine while I'm under there building a trac bar, but until it cools off some, they're going to sit in my on-board spare parts bin.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #927

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Getting ready to install the fix this weekend. I bought a pair of Hellwig adjustable links for the front. I've read that some people move the old front links to the back to keep the back bar at the same angle. Is this worth doing? Just eyeballing the rear bar, it looks like moving the existing link to the other hole will make very little difference in the angle.

On the ACE 29.1 the rear bar stays at virtually the same angle before and after the mod. There is really no reason to move the front links to the rear.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #928

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towertime View Post
On the ACE 29.1 the rear bar stays at virtually the same angle before and after the mod. There is really no reason to move the front links to the rear.
Thanks, that'll save me a little time.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #929

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towertime

Ditto, no change in angle on my '99 either.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #930

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
Thanks, that'll save me a little time.
You are very welcome, if you look at post #746, it may help you with the front ones. I adjusted the Hellwig links @ 12.5" to keep the angle the same on the front. The post has pictures before and after.This mod has really helped my ACE.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #931

Did you vote?

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...ll-130709.html

Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #932

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post

Absolutely!
Old 08-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #933

Thx.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #934

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Interested in final results.. keep the pattern piece around.
Pattern? You don't need no stinkin' pattern.

This is pretty close to what mine looks like. If yours is an F53 with a S135 diff, the holes are right at 3 1/4" apart. My lower ones just happened to be 1/32 further apart than the upper ones. If you make them 3 1/4", a rat tail file will make it fit. Make your own cardboard pattern first to check for clearance issues. This is for a driver(left) side diff mount. There is a pattern on Oemy's web site posted previously for a right side mount.

Make the top part anyway you like. The taller the mount is and the longer the bar is, the less bump steer there is.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #935

Ford Super Duty Owner
I say pattern because I have access to a CNC plasma cutter and could reproduce these quickly and easily.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #936

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cheap Handling Fix installed! 2 hours start to finish. In the end I went without the Hellwigs since the geometry on the front looked fine with the original links, and most people seem to have gone this route. Only had a 10 mile freeway road test so far. I was thinking I couldn't feel a lot of difference, then noticed I was cruising at 65-68 instead of my usual 58-60. Something must be different! The big test will be next month when we drive I-40 from NC to NM.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:51 PM   #937

Dunner's DIY Trac Bar

Wish I had a pla$ma cutter. I burnt this out of the only 3/8" piece of channel I had in my scrap bin. Took an hour on the ole grindstone dues to somebody's shaky old hands on my oxy/acet blue wrench to come up with something that is going to be out of sight under my motor home. The arrow pointing to the rib is all that is left of the channel. Thought it might add a little strength to the diff bracket. Painted everything flat black... cause everything under my MH is already dirt black.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #938

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...ll-130709.html