Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #463

My guess would be that 90% of RV places don't even know about the "fix". And, if they do, would probably charge big bucks for a 30 minute job.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #464

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
Warranties only cover manufacturing defects and Ford Motor Company has to prove that any modification caused the part failure.

I think that Ford designed the F53 to handle a wide variety of body styles and use the factory sway position for delivering the chassis and for light bodies. I don't know if Ford knows it is going in a motorhome until the motorhome company notifies Ford. Then it seems the "fix" should be done by the motorhome company based on weight and handling.
I agree, the F53 chassis is produced on an assembly line and thus a vanilla chassis....there is a big difference between a straight box truck and a MH as far as weight distribution
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #465

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Attached below is a link to the company that builds the F53 motorhome chassis for Ford.

Detroit Chassis
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #466

Winnebago Owners Club
So I picked up a 2000 Itasca 35U last weekend, and I was white knuckle all the way home. This is my first Class A so I wrote it up to inexperience.

I came across this fix and thought it would be worth a try.

Wow what a difference.

Before I was all over the road at 60 and the slightest bump or truck passing nearly put me in the ditch.

This afternoon when we went for a test ride, I was able to drive 65 with one hand.

I kept the z Brackets but had to notch the front ones.

I'm going to try and put together a Homemade Trac Bar for the rear to make things even more solid.

I can honestly say I'm not sure how the original owner was able to put on the 33K that he did.

The difference is night and day- Even my wife could tell from the passenger seat.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #467

If it was that bad, perhaps the shocks need replacing also.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #468

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergbutton View Post
I'm going to try and put together a Homemade Trac Bar for the rear to make things even more solid.
We have the track bar and the cheap handling fix, except we put the track bar on first. I suspect you'll think the track bar is worth it, on my short wheelbase coach the "tail wagging the dog" was really bad, it even wagged when passenger cars passed me, when a big rig passed Watch Out. The track bar alone kept all but big rigs from bothering me, and now with the cheap handling fix they don't either.

Also agree with Dunner, shocks are probably shot. I used to use the "push down on the bumper" test on my cars to check whether the shocks needed replacing, can't do that on the MH, no bumper.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:23 AM   #469

A friend of mine bought used "C" and the first time he got on the freeway, I thought he was going lay it on it's side. His wife hugged the floor as the coach violently swayed side to side. New shocks fixed the problem. I can only imagine the conversation at the stealer, but new, installed shocks, didn't cost him a penny.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 AM   #470

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just finished a 400 + trip in 35 mph wind gusts with the "Cheap Handling Fix". And whoever posted this fix was a freakin' genius!!! One of the BEST mods ever!! Hardly felt the wind, took corners much better!! All in all, was a GREAT idea!! Thank you!! I did both the front and rears!! A pleasure to drive this rig now!
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #471

Monaco Owners Club
My favorite about this mod is now taking those 45mph curves at 50 rather than 35 or 40. John better hope our paths don't cross, as I probably would lay a big wet one on him
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #472

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone done this mod on a 2006 22,000 chassis using the stock links front end.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #473

yes i did it, but then i decided to order the helwig rods and then changed them. i didn't like the drastic angle on the original ones ,but they worked fine.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #474

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Billyb
Old 05-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #475

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If it was that bad, perhaps the shocks need replacing also.
Dunner I think you are right. While I was under mocking up the Homemade Track bar I noticed that the shocks are black and look like they might be the original ones, some Monroe RV shocks (much more affordable) and new bushings for the rear sway bar are all next on the list.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:55 AM   #476

I've heard of other ppl having worn out bushings. Mine only had 15k on it and it took a bottle jack to move it so the holes lined up. I've also heard that you can get the bushing on Ebay for cheap.