Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #6343

Damon Owners Club
A cautionary tale

I've had the 5th or 6th trip on the MH after doing the CHF, and started hearing popping on turns. After I returned home I got underneath and found both front links; bottom bolts loose on the anti-sway bar. I had tightened them to the required specs according to the service manual. I'm going to research and get some lock nuts to install.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2021, 10:56 PM   #6344

cseidel

You need to use blue lock tite and then torque to specs.
cseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 12:05 AM   #6345

Damon Owners Club
Yeah. I put blue loctite and a jam nut. I’m not taking any more chances.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:31 AM   #6346

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone have experience with doing the CHF on a 24,000 lb. chassis? Did you keep the stock links or go with extended links?

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #6347

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just moved to ones on the chassis, works good so far.
mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:18 AM   #6348

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2013 adventurer 37f
mike garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 09:14 PM   #6349
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-t
Anyone have experience with doing the CHF on a 24,000 lb. chassis? Did you keep the stock links or go with extended links?
Do you have the S-shaped links? If so, a few people reported they broke after the CHF.

Ray
Old 10-21-2021, 03:02 AM   #6350

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do you have the S-shaped links? If so, a few people reported they broke after the CHF.

Ray
They are straight. Thinking of extending them 3" then installing.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Old 10-21-2021, 02:05 PM   #6351

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was wrong! I got under there today, the links have an offset in them. I took the bolts, links to SB, out and there is no way they will even reach the CHF hole in the SB! They are about 1/2" short, at least. Again, this is a 2013, 24k, F53 chassis. I had no problems on my previous 2009, 22k chassis - everything there just fit.
Guess I will be on the search for some SB links.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Old 10-21-2021, 06:11 PM   #6352

Damon Owners Club
They should fit. You may have to lift the sway bar a bit more, but it should work.
Old 10-22-2021, 03:48 AM   #6353

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
They should fit. You may have to lift the sway bar a bit more, but it should work.
I did that, the closest the holes came was about 1/2" short of alignment. Never have experienced that on an F53 chassis. I've done several CHF jobs on my other coach and friends. First 24k chassis I've looked at.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Old 10-22-2021, 06:53 AM   #6354

Ford Super Duty Owner
phil-t,

I understand you have performed the CHF on several units. I've probably performed the CHF on better than 50 and maybe closer to 100 units and never had any issues. Since you may be the first to indicate you couldn't get the link to reach the SB maybe you missed something.

I may be wrong but I don't think there's one post on this thread describing what you have experienced. Was your RV completely off the jacks on it's wheels and on a level spot??

As far as the "S" shaped links they were used only in a few model years. Why did they use them??? My guess is to make a closer alignment between the SB and the links. What they did in those years to need the change is beyond me. I don't remember ever working on one with the S link except to weld a broken one.

It might be worth using some washers as spacers to eliminate the S links. The one I welded I don't believe had the CHF performed on the RV but it broke while going over a driveway into and out of a fuel stop.

There was also another issue on the F-53 chassis. If one removes and replaces (R&R) the entire SB there is nothing used to properly center it between the leaf springs. I've seen it off-center by as much a 1" to 1-1/2" One might assume if it is located off-center once it is put back on the road the SB will center itself? That does not seem to happen. The two links do allow it to operate and still remain off-center. That does assume the link bushings will give some since they are working with a side pressure.

It's somewhat of a mystery to me why Ford is so sloppy with the sway control system. They only have one hole for the links so we can't do the CHF but the SB diameter is larger. That should help with sway control and according to a few posters is does but!!!!!

They had bushing & bolt issues issues starting with the F-53 in 1999 and even up and into the newly designed sway system. The rear SB brackets/bolts are coming loose sooner than the 1999 brackets did. That's not the kind of change one would want either.
Old 10-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #6355

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TeJay,
I'm at a loss as to why this would not work on this coach. The links with offsets, I assume, allow for a narrower swaybar (or wider spaceing of the leafsprings), more clearance from spring to swaybar. I don't have immediate access to a lighter chassis to make measurements. There is no way I would use straight links on this chassis, they would be somewhat stressed to line up with the swaybar.

A note - with the coach fully down on the suspension and pretty darned level, The bolts could not be removed - boltheads came to the spring and I had to flex the link inward, off the bolt. Don't think I have ever experienced that either.

As I was attempting to get things to line up, I was seeing an angle from the links to the swaybar that I would not have been satisfied with, anyways.
Yes, coach was on the ground, jacks up.

I could remove the links and extend them. I have not seen where anyone offers longer offset linlks.

Possible someone has dome some work on this chassis but I don't see any other evidence of that.

2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA
Old 10-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #6356

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil-t View Post
I was wrong! I got under there today, the links have an offset in them. I took the bolts, links to SB, out and there is no way they will even reach the CHF hole in the SB! They are about 1/2" short, at least. Again, this is a 2013, 24k, F53 chassis. I had no problems on my previous 2009, 22k chassis - everything there just fit.

Guess I will be on the search for some SB links.
We have a 2013 378xl, 24,000 lb chassis with the S shape links. I did the CHF with Tjay's extention plates. Super easy and it kept the sway bar the same angle as stock. I hear skuterdude may be offering the plates. (Tjay does not offer them anymore) He is on eBay. Been this way since 2014 and no issues.
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote