Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #1

Cheap Handling Fix-Fail! Jayco Precept 35S

It finally quit raining and was actually dry so yesterday I pulled the 35S onto the driveway to do the CHF. I got the bolts out, jacked the sway bar up to line up with the sway bar link and guess what, the holes lined up perfectly with the leaf springs so I was not able to get the bolts in. Looks like I'll have to take it to a shop with a lift or chassis jacks rated for the weight of the front of the coach to lift it and get the swaybar/link holes to not line up with the leaf springs.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2017, 11:08 AM   #2

Or, take the top of the link bolts out, hook up the lower link bolts below the spring and push the bar and links up to reattach the upper link bolts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #3

Yes, that would work also just more wrenching.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:42 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I took my links off and extended them a couple inches. I'm getting ready to do the CHF on my "New to Me" 1999 Southwind.

When I did my Mirada a few years ago, I extended the links 2 inches. I'll extend the links 3 inches when I do the Southwind.

Here is a short article on how I extended the links. Scroll down near the bottom for some drawings and photos.

Cheap Handling Fix – and then some | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
See reply #6 at http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/chea...ml#post3505881
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
To say, "CHF fail" is a bit strong. Maybe one could say "CHF failure to complete." might be more appropriate.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 PM   #7

I thought that Jayco's came with a Hellwig bar from the factory? Isn't that part of the J-Ride package?
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #8

If you have leveling jacks, why not use them to raise the chassis to allow bolt insertion?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
To say, "CHF fail" is a bit strong. Maybe one could say "CHF failure to complete." might be more appropriate.

I'll defer to the First Amendment.
Anyway, I only had a short amount of time to get stuff done before the rain started.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
If you have leveling jacks, why not use them to raise the chassis to allow bolt insertion?
I'll try this first and if the holes are still aligned with the leaf springs I'll remove the links etc.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just did the CHF today on a 32' Newmar coach. It was in a garage on level ground and on the tires. Worked out just fine and nothing got in the way.

I never work on any coach while up on hydraulic jacks of any kind unless safety stands are in place. It is worth mentioning this also because some may not be aware.

All leveling jacks work in pairs. You can lift the front of an RV or the rear, The left or right side but never lift just one corner much more than maybe just getting the tire off the ground by lifting on the axle. WHY?? The frame can be twisted and some have cracked or popped out a windshield.

That did happen to our 1999 Newmar and all I did was travel for maybe 3/4 of a mile very slowly down a very pot holed bumpy road into a remote campground. The break did not happen immediately. We parked set up camp and actually fly fished for maybe two hours. When we returned the front left outside windshield looked like it was hit with a baseball bat. We were close to the RV and were just about the only ones in the CG so it wasn't vandals.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bydnar View Post
ditto and it worked for me
Old 03-24-2017, 02:07 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
There's always the better/best way to approach some problems. IF one of the holes won't line up it is either to high or to low. You the fixer/installer need to install the bolt into the higher side first. WHY??

Now all you have to do is raise the lower side up to install the last bolt. Locate a lever of some sorts, I like to use a 2X4. Place something next to the SB end at about the same height and about 12" away. I use a safety stand. Place one end of the 2X4 under the SB and the other on top of the stand. Now lever it up until the bolts just slides in. It's usually fairly easy and over the last several years I've probably done it 40 times or more and it always, always works.

If this is still confusing to some perhaps years ago had one taken a few less classes in Spanish, French, Social Studies or even math and a few classes in the shop areas would have helped. But I guess that's another topic.

I'm not kidding about the shop classes and just in case you are wondering I didn't take any shop classes in HS either.

Over the years I have had many, many folks with college degrees who admitted that they should have taken a shop class or two.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #14

My holes lined up perfectly on both sides.... with the leafsprings. The next day it doesn't rain, July??, I'll get it done. It's been a really crappy winter here in the PNW.

Tags
jayco