Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: "Cheap Handling Fix" Poll
I did the Fix. It reduced sway and my coach handles better. 263 70.51%
I did the Fix and it did not help. 3 0.80%
I installed longer front links. 56 15.01%
I may install longer front links later. 30 8.04%
I moved the front links to the rear. 21 5.63%
I do not have the ability and will have the Fix done for me. 16 4.29%
Mine rides fine, but I may do the fix later. 64 17.16%
I never will do the Fix as I think it is unsafe. 13 3.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 373. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1

"Cheap Handling Fix" Poll

We ask that only those with a F53 chassis who have performed or are thinking about performing the http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/cheap...fix-72335.html participate in the vote.

Comments are welcome from everyone.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like I said on the other thread, I had already installed the Steer Safe and Ultra Trac on my rig before I performed the McKinleyMod and there was still a significant improvement in the ride. Quite amazing.

Keith
Old 07-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #3

What if you made your own brackets to extend the end links instead of buying new ones.
Neil
Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You saved a few bucks I guess.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

Satisfied Customer of the "Cheap Fix"

We recently purchased a new 2012 Itasca Sunstar 26p. ($79K loaded) This unit is built on the Ford F53 chassis with a GW of 16000#. We picked it up at the NJ dealer and began a 4000 mile trip. Might not do that again.

We are new class A drivers and thought the twitchy handling was us. We expected that we would get use to it. We did get a little more comfortable with practice but passing big trucks and wind really pushed us around - borderline scary - lots of work.

So I bought a truck tire gauge and found the pressure on the left at 65psi +- 10 and the pressure on the right side was 95 +-10psi. Inflated all tires to Winnebago spec of 82psi - both sides. This helped - a little.

When we got home (5000 mileage) I had the alignment checked. It was badly misaligned. Front tires are obviously worn. Had alignment done and tires rotated. (By the way, the alignment shop strongly recommended that the tires be inflated to a full 110psi as on the tire sidewall - to cut down tire sidewall flex and therefore sway. I did this too. (Comments please)) These changes helped noticeably - handling/staying-centered - but still too much side to side sway.

Read the iVR2 blog on the "Cheap Fix". Made sense to me. Immediately, made the change. (Cheap - not necessarily an easy doityourself project.)

Just tried it out on I-89 during VERY windy conditions. WOW! It made a significant improvement! ...almost don't notice the wind! Thank you for the brilliant suggestion!

Why is this adjustment left to a new owner? I had called Winnebago Customer Suport. They were Not helpful.

Next:
To make driving even easier/more-relaxing I have ordered a a Safe-T-Plus steering damper ($560 w/ bracket). This will hopefully help us relax while driving straight ahead and mitigate blowout dangers. I will give an update when it is installed and tested.

Thanks again! I love the iRV2 site!
Carter
ckaanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #6

Steering Damper

Safe T Plus is pretty expensive. The Bilstein damper is only $130 and works just fine. Try:

Bilstein Steering Damper Ford Chassis - $128.77
Old 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
Safe T Plus is pretty expensive. The Bilstein damper is only $130 and works just fine. Try:

Bilstein Steering Damper Ford Chassis - $128.77
John, how would you rate the Bilstein against the Blue Ox TruCenter? I have a booking at the Blue Ox factory in a couple of weeks to get one installed, but I'm beginning to wonder if the TruCenter at $1,300 is worth the money.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #8

If you haven't already done the fix, do it first before you spend money you may not need to.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, do I need 4 of those Bilstein dampers? If I were gonna try it.

I am gonna try to move that anti sway bar hole over one, I have a good friend who's a mechanic that can look at the MH for me and see if it can be done. I am mechanical, but can't get my fat **s under the MH to look.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #10

I agree with Dunner. Do the McKinley Fix first before you shell out the big bucks for the TruCenter. Before I discovered the Fix, I added the Bilstein Steering Damper to correct a shimmy problem but found it helped with passing trucks, wind gusts, etc. as well.

I don't have any personal experience with the TruCenter so I can't really comment except to say it is grossly overpriced for what you get.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #11

The steering dampers I have seen on any vehicles from the factory was only one on the tie rod.
You can buy kits with two, but those are usually for off-road vehicles.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If you haven't already done the fix, do it first before you spend money you may not need to.
I'm looking at steering dampers for easier sidewind driving and straight line steering during front wheel blowout. I don't think the McKinley Mod addresses either of these issues?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaanta View Post
We recently purchased a new 2012 Itasca Sunstar 26p. ($79K loaded) This unit is built on the Ford F53 chassis with a GW of 16000#. We picked it up at the NJ dealer and began a 4000 mile trip. Might not do that again.

We are new class A drivers and thought the twitchy handling was us. We expected that we would get use to it. We did get a little more comfortable with practice but passing big trucks and wind really pushed us around - borderline scary - lots of work.

So I bought a truck tire gauge and found the pressure on the left at 65psi +- 10 and the pressure on the right side was 95 +-10psi. Inflated all tires to Winnebago spec of 82psi - both sides. This helped - a little.

When we got home (5000 mileage) I had the alignment checked. It was badly misaligned. Front tires are obviously worn. Had alignment done and tires rotated. (By the way, the alignment shop strongly recommended that the tires be inflated to a full 110psi as on the tire sidewall - to cut down tire sidewall flex and therefore sway. I did this too. (Comments please)) These changes helped noticeably - handling/staying-centered - but still too much side to side sway.

Read the iVR2 blog on the "Cheap Fix". Made sense to me. Immediately, made the change. (Cheap - not necessarily an easy doityourself project.)

Just tried it out on I-89 during VERY windy conditions. WOW! It made a significant improvement! ...almost don't notice the wind! Thank you for the brilliant suggestion!

Why is this adjustment left to a new owner? I had called Winnebago Customer Suport. They were Not helpful.

Next:
To make driving even easier/more-relaxing I have ordered a a Safe-T-Plus steering damper ($560 w/ bracket). This will hopefully help us relax while driving straight ahead and mitigate blowout dangers. I will give an update when it is installed and tested.

Thanks again! I love the iRV2 site!
Carter
110psi in the tires on a 16,000lb chassis........ No way !

The ride is gona be rediculously rough, and you'll likely be wearing out the center of your treads. I would go with Winnebago's recomended pressures, till you get all your stuff loaded in, full tank of fuel, full tank of fresh water, then head to a scale. The tire manufactures website will have a chart to tell you how much air you need for your given axle weight's.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
110psi in the tires on a 16,000lb chassis........ No way !

The ride is gona be rediculously rough, and you'll likely be wearing out the center of your treads. I would go with Winnebago's recomended pressures, till you get all your stuff loaded in, full tank of fuel, full tank of fresh water, then head to a scale. The tire manufactures website will have a chart to tell you how much air you need for your given axle weight's.
x2. I run my 16,000lb F53 (Thor ACE) at 85psi all tires, as per the manufacturer sticker. 110 is WAY too high.